- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Influence of learning motivation, communication skill, academic self-efficacy on self-directed learning ability in nursing students
간호학생의 학습동기, 의사소통능력, 학업적 자기효능감이 자기주도학습능력에 미치는 영향
- Oh, Hyo-Sook (Department of Nursing, Honam University)
- 오효숙 (호남대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2017.06.30
- Accepted : 2017.08.20
- Published : 2017.08.28
This study was conducted to investigate learning motivation, communication skill, academic self-efficacy which influence self-directed learning ability in nursing students. A total of 194 second year students were recruited from nursing department in Gwangju. Structured questionnaire was self-administrated from November 2 to 30, 2015. In self-directed learning ability, there were significant differences in gender, personality disposition, applied motivation, satisfaction on major, satisfaction of campus life, and school grade. In multiple regression analysis, learning motivation, communication skill, academic self-efficacy, satisfaction on major and school grade were significant factors of self-directed learning ability explaining 53.1% of the variables. In conclusion, to enhance self-directed learning ability for nursing students, it is necessary to develop program and curriculum for increasing learning motivation, communication skill, and academic self-efficacy.
Self-directed learning ability;Learning motivation;Communication skill;Academic self-efficacy;Nursing convergence education
- J. J. Yang, M. Y. Park, "The relationship of clinical competency and self-directed learning in nursing students, The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 271-277, 2004.
- M. Knowles, "Self-directed learning: A guide for learners and teachers", Toronto : The Adult Education company, 1975.
- S. J Lee, Y. K. Chang, H. N. Lee, K. Y. Park, "A study on the development of life-skills: communication, problem solving, and self-directed learning", Report of Korean Educational Development Institute, 2003.
- Y. H. Kim, Y. M. Lee, "Relationship of learning motivation, self-directed learning ability and problem solving process of nursing students after practice evaluation of fundamentals of nursing course using role play", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 147-155, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.1.147
- J. H. Choi, J. H. Jeong, "The effect of readiness to self-directed learning on nursing practice competence", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 16-26, 2011.
- N. J. Huh, "An analytical study on the predictability of self-directed learning on learners' variables," Ph.D. dissertation, Hong-Ik University, 2005.
- A. Deppermann, "Research on doctor-patient-interaction in German speaking countries", Korean Journal of Health Communication, Vol. 2, No. 1 pp. 40-50, 2007.
- Caffarella, R. S., O'Donnell, J. M., "Self-directed adult learning: A critical paradigm revisited", Adult Education Quarterly, Vol. 37, pp. 199-234, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1177/0001848187037004002
- Y. J. Jo, "An analysis of the structural relations among variables connected with self-directed learning ability of adult learners in high educational institutions", Ph.D. dissertation, Soongsil University, 2010.
- A. Bandura, "Self-efficacy : The exercise of control", New York : Freeman, 1977.
- M. H. Shin, "A study on the differences of problem-solving ability between students with high level of self-efficacy and students with low level of self-efficacy", Journal of Engineering Education Research, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 30-37, 2009. https://doi.org/10.18108/jeer.2009.12.4.30
- S. J. Kang, E. J. Kim, H. J. Shin, "Convergence study about problem-based learning and self-directed learning ability, problem-solving skills, academic self-efficacy, motivation toward learning of nursing students", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 33-41, 2016.
- K. O. Choi, Y. M. Park, "The effects of team-based learning on problem solving ability, critical thinking disposition and self-directed learning in undergraduate nursing students", Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 154-159, 2014.
- M. J. Sim, H. S. Oh, "Influence of self-efficacy, learning motivation, and self-directed learning on problem-solving ability in nursing students", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 328-337, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.06.328
- J. H. Lee, S. Y. Jun, J. H. Jung, K. M. Woo, "The relationship between the satisfaction with clinical practice and clinical competency by types of self-directed learning ability of nursing students", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 118-130, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2017.23.1.118
- K. A. Song, "A study on influence of self-esteem and self-determination motivation on self-directed learning", Journal of Early Childhood Education & Educare Administration, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 177-202, 2006.
- O. H. Kim, J. J. Sun, J. H, Kong, "The relationship among creativity, personal responsibility orientation and self-directed learning ability of nursing students", Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol. 17, No. 5, pp. 2809-2821, 2015.
- Y. J. Kim, H. Yoo, M. Park, "Effect of motive for major selection on major satisfaction, campus-life satisfaction, and self-directed learning ability among nursing students", Journal of the Korea Academia - industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 10, pp. 261-271, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.10.261
- S. Y. Lee, Y. Y. Kim, "The effects of self-efficacy and self-directed learning readiness to self-leadership of nursing students", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 309-318, 2016.
- H. S. Park, K. S. Jeong, "Influence of self-directed learning ability and creativity on college adjustment in nursing students", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp 549-557, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.549
- Y. R. Kim, "The validity of school learning motivation scale and school adaptation scale, and analysis of relationship between two scale variables", Hongik Journal of Education Studies, Vol. 17, pp. 3-39, 2000.
- G. H. Song, "The effect of employee's communication competence and communication satisfaction on job satisfaction", Unpublished master's thesis, Kangnam University, 2013.
- Fritz, S.. Brown, F. W., Lunder, S. P., & Banset, E. A., "Interpersonal skill for leadership", NJ : Printice Hall, 1999.
- I. S. Choi, U. J. Cho, "Assessment in early childhood education", Seoul : Changjisa, 2010.
- K. M. Lee, "The relationship between communication skill and resilience of infant teacher", Unpublished master's thesis, Ajou University, 2015.
- Schank, D. H., "Self-efficacy and academic motivation", Educational Psychologist, Vol. 26, pp. 207-231, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1080/00461520.1991.9653133
- A. Y. Kim, I. Y. Park, "Construction and validation of academic self-efficacy scale", The Journal of Educational Research, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 95-123, 2001.
- J. A. Lee, "Mediating effect of outcome expectations in the relationship of academic self-efficacy to major adjustment of college students", Korean Journal of Counseling, pp. 2329-2344, 2012.
- S. J. Han, "The influence of academic self-efficacy and major satisfaction on career attitude maturity in nursing students", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, pp. 559-566, 2013.
- K. O. Choi, Y. M. Park, "The effects of team-based learning on problem solving ability, critical thinking disposition and self-directed learning in undergraduate nursing students", Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 154-159, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2014.20.2.154
- G. J. Kim, J. W. Jeong, "Self-directed learning theory in adult education and its application", Journal of Social Educational Research, Vol. 19, pp. 25-46, 1994.
- Y. P. Hong, "The self-directed learning readiness of specialized high school students and its related variables", Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, 2002.
- H. Y. Kim, "The effect of self-directed learning readiness, personality type, and attribution styles on academic achievement in adult education", The Journal of Educational Research & Development, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 211-232, 2000.
- J. B. Kim, "The influence of self-regulated learning and motivation on academic achievement", Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University, 1991.
- C. S. Lee, "A study on the self-directed learning readiness and affective characteristics of Korea national agricultural college students", Unpublishe master's thesis, Seoul National University, 1998.
- C. D. Chung, K. H. Kang, "Analysis on core abilities of elementary and secondary scientific gifted students' life skills - In focus of communication, problem solving and self-directed learning", Journal of Scientific Education, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 290-303, 2009.
- K. H. Lee, J. Y. Kim, "A study on the relationships between academic self-efficacy, learning motivation, course satisfaction, and academic achievement of college students", Andragogy Today : International Journal of Adult & Continuing Education, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 33-57, 2014.
- M. Kim, "Study on self-efficacy, communication competency, critical thinking disposition and clinical performance ability of nursing students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 609-617, 2016.
- S. I. Park, Y. K. Kim, "An inquiry on the relationships among learning-flow factors, flow level, achievement under on-line learning environment", The Journal of Yeolin Education, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 93-115, 2006.
- A. K. Yang, H. J. Cho, "An analysis on the influence of self-regulated learning upon academic achievement", The Journal of Korean Educational Forum, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 61-82, 2010.
- S. H. Lim, "Effect of team-based learning on anatomy subject for biological nursing science educational of nursing students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No, 10, pp. 7098-7108, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.10.7098