- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Acculturative Stress, Ego-Resilience, and Gender Role Attitudes on Marital Satisfaction of Married Migrant Women
결혼 이주여성의 문화적응스트레스, 자아탄력성, 성역할태도가 결혼만족도에 미치는 영향
- Seo, Soen-Souk (Graduate School of Social Welfare, Hansei Unversity) ;
- Paik, Jina (Department of Social Welfare, Hansei Unversity)
- Received : 2017.06.30
- Accepted : 2017.08.20
- Published : 2017.08.28
The purpose of the study is to examine the effects of acculturative stress, ego-resilience, and gender role attitude of married migrant women on their marital satisfaction. For the study, a pre-survey was conducted in November 2015 and based on the result, the data collected in this survey over January 2016 through March 2016 was used. SPSS Win 21.0 program was utilized to proceed the analysis for the attributes of variables in marital satisfaction, correlation among variables, and hierarchical regression analysis. 274 subjects around the Multicultural Center users in Geonggi-do were selected as research targets and drew a conclusion as the following results. First, it showed that acculturative stress of married migrant women left a negative effect on the marital satisfaction and had the highest effect on it among the independent variables. Second, both ego-resilience and gender role attitudes influenced positively on the marital satisfaction of married migrant women. The need for program development to reduce acculturative stress and enhance ego-resilience was discussed.
Married Migrant Women;Marital Satisfaction;Acculturative Stress;Ego-Resilience;Gender Role Attitude
- O. H. Seo, "A study of women's marital satisfaction in multicultural families with influencing factors", Master Thesis, Chosun University, 2010.
- B. H. Choi, "A study on determinants of multicultural family couple's marital satisfaction: focused on Seoul & Gyeonggi-do", Master Thesis, Konkuk University, 2011.
- C. L. Williams․J. W. Berry, "Primary prevention of acculturative stress among refugees: Application of Psychological theory and practice", American Psychologist, Vol. 46, No. 6, pp. 632-641, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.46.6.632
- J. W. Berry․U. Kim․P. Boski, "Psychological acculturation of immigrants", pp. 62-89. in Y. Y, Kim․W. B. Gudykunst(Eds.), Cross-Cultural Adaptation: Current Approaches, Newbury Park. CA: Sage. 1987.
- M. H. Kwon, "Effects of accumulative cultural stress of women migrated for marriage on their psychological wellbeing: focused on mediating and moderating effects on psychosocial resources", Korean Comparative Government Review, Vol. 154, No. 1, pp. 275-302, 2011.
- O. N. Kim, "A study on the factors affecting marital conflicts of immigrant women", Family and Culture, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 63-106, 2006.
- M. J. Kim․D. M. Yeum, "A meta-analysis of the effects on marital satisfaction of the married immigrant women", Social Science Research Review, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 1-25, 2015.
- H. S. Kim․H. J. Kim․S. S. Choi, "Acculturative stress and marital adjustment among marriage migration females: focusing on the mediating and moderating effects of ego-resilience", Korean Family Resource Management Association, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 153-176, 2010.
- H. K. Lee․H. I. Jeon, "The effects of perceived social support on marital satisfaction in married immigrant women: focused on the mediating effect of acculturative stress", Korean Journal of Family Welfare, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 413-432, 2013. https://doi.org/10.13049/kfwa.2013.18.4.413
- W. Froma, Strenthening Family Resilience, New York: Guilford Press, 1998.
- H. S. Kim․H. J. Kim․S. S. Cho, "Acculturative stress and marital adjustment among marriage migration females: focusing on the mediating and moderating effects of ego-resilience", Korean Family Resource Management Association, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 153-176, 2010.
- J. Block․A. M. Kreman, "IQ and ego-resiliency: conceptual and empirical connections and separateness", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 70, No. 2, pp. 349-361, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2069
- E. C. Kohnen, "Conceptual analysis and measurement of the construct of ego-resilience", Journal of personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 70, No. 5, pp. 1067-1079, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.117
- H. R. Sun․G. Y. Jeon, "The effects of ego-resilience and family-resilience on marital stability of female marriage immigrants", Journal of Family Relations, Vol. 18, No.3, pp. 233-253, 2013.
- S. R. Kim, "A study on the cultural conflict through Korean-Japan international marriage perspective", Journal of Japanese Language and Literature, Vol. 35, pp. 287-299, 2008.
- O. N. Kim, "A study on the factors affecting marital conflicts of immigrant women", Korean Family Studies Association, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 63-106, 2006.
- P. R. Amato․A. Booth, "Changes in gender role attitudes and perceived marital quality", American Sociological Review, Vol. 33, pp. 58-66, 1995.
- Y. Lee, "Conjugal role sharing on women's marital satisfaction", Journal of Korean Population, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 103-131, 2010.
- E. H. Lee, "A study on the sex role attitude and marital satisfaction of dual-earner men and women across the family life cycle", Korean Journal of Family Welfare, Vol. 10, pp. 99-118, 2002.
- S. D. Sandhu․R. B. Asrabadi, "Development of an acculturative stress scale for international student: preliminary findings", Psychological Reports, Vol. 75, No. 1, pp. 435-448, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.1918.104.22.1685
- S. K. Yoo․H. W. Shim, "Psychological protective factors in resilient adolescents in Korea", The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 189-206. 2002.
- Korean Women's Development Institute, Korean Longitudinal Survey of Women's families 4th, 2015.
- S. J. Lee․S. S. Park․J. Y. Song, "The effect of acculturative stress on marital satisfaction of immigrant women who married to Korean men", Social Science Research Review, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 1-25, 2014.
- E. H. Lee․K. H. Ok, "The effect of parenting stress on marital satisfaction of immigrant women: mediation effect of ego-resilience and family resilience", Journal of Family Relations, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 197-215, 2012.
- M. H. Kong․S. J. Oh, "The effects of gender role attitudes and social support of international marriage couple on marital satisfaction", Family and Culture, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 96-120, 2010.
- H. J. Ann, "A study on marriage satisfaction of couple of international marriage", Ph.D. Dissertation, Chodang University, 2003.