- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The effects of pain, sleep, and depression on quality of life in elderly people with chronic pain
만성통증 노인의 통증, 수면 및 우울이 삶의 질에 미치는 영향
- Choi, In Suk (Graduate School of Nursing, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Park, Kyungsook (Red-Cross College of Nursing, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2017.06.29
- Accepted : 2017.08.20
- Published : 2017.08.28
This study was conducted to investigate the effect of pain, sleep, and depression on quality of life in elderly patients with chronic pain. The subjects of this study were 170 elderly aged over 65 years. Data collected from July 1 to September 30 in 2016 at local community center were analysed by multiple regression. As a result, the pain, sleep, depression and quality of life of elderly significant difference by general characteristics and pain-related characteristics. In addition, In this study, the positive correlation between sleep (.471, p<.001) and quality of life, and negative correlation between quality of life and each of pain (-.332, p<0.001) and depression (-.720, p<0.001) were presented. The factors affecting the quality of life of the elderly with chronic pain were subjective health status (
- Statistics Korea. Population projections for Korea: 2010-2060. 2015.
- E. J. Seo, N. H. Cha, "The Relationships between Stress and ADL in Elderly Living Alone." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 7, pp.251-8. 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.7.251
- M. H. Ahn, K. U. Kim, "A study of quality of life and depression for the elderly in senior welfare center." Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 8, pp.3544-51. 2012. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.8.3544
- H. S. Seo, Y. H. Han, "Effects of health-related indexes on life satisfaction for the elderly people." Korean Journal of Research in Gerontology, Vol. 15, No. 15, pp.159-70. 2006.
- M. H. Park, J. C. Ha, I. H. Shin, H. G. Kim, S. Y. Lee, J. H. Cho, "Living profiles and welfare services needs of older persons in Korea." Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare, Vol., No., pp. 2008.
- Y. S. Kim, H. S. Byeon, "Effects of pain on memory, physical function, and sleep disturbance in older adults with chronic disease: the mediating role of depression." J Korean Gerontol Nurs, Vol. 16, No., pp.59-67. 2014. https://doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2014.16.1.59
- J. H. Oh, M. S. Yi, "Structural Equation Modeling on Quality of Life in Older Adults with Osteoarthritis." Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 44, No. 1, pp.75-85. 2014. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.1.75
- H. K. Kim, H. Lee, S. M. Park, "Factors influencing quality of life in elderly women living alone." Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp.279-92. 2010.
- K. O. Chang, S. J. Park, D. Y. Bae, "The Effects of perceived health status, sleep, depression and pain on quality of life by Gender in Community-dwelling Older Adults." Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp.1566-75. 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.3.1566
- J. Y. Lee, Y. S. Moon, "Effects of Chronic Pain and Social support on Depression and Suicide in the Elderly." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 10, pp.445-58. 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.10.445
- B. Payne, M. A. Norfleet, "Chronic pain and the family: a review." Pain, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp.1-22. 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(86)90169-7
- R. J. Gatchel, D. Bernstein, A. W. Stowell, G. Pransky, "Psychosocial Differences Between High ‐Risk Acute vs. Chronic Low Back Pain Patients." Pain practice, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp.91-7. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1533-2500.2008.00176.x
- N. S. Kamel, J. K. Gammack, "Insomnia in the elderly: cause, approach, and treatment." The American journal of medicine, Vol. 119, No. 6, pp.463-9. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2005.10.051
- E. A. Park, I. S. Lee, "Factors affecting the depression of the elderly women in poverty." Journal of agricultural medicine and community health, Vol. 34, No. 2, pp.256-66. 2009. https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2009.34.2.256
- C. G. Kim, S. Park, "Gender Difference in Risk Factors for Depression in Community-dwelling Elders." Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp.136-47. 2012. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.1.136
- M. A. Lee, "The Effects of Social Quality on Suicide Ideation of Korean Elderly." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp.271-81. 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.3.271
- H. S. Song, "A study on the relationship among depression, walking and quality of life for the elderly-focusing on the moderation effects of walking." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 8, pp.515-25. 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.8.515
- J. H. Oh, M. S. Yi, "Structural Equation Modeling on Quality of Life in Older Adults with Osteoarthritis." Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 2014.
- J. W. Bae, "The Association among Pain, Pain Coping and Quality of life of Community- Dwelling Elderly with Chronic Pain." Vol., No., pp.Unpublished master's thesis, Ajou University, Suwon. 2016.
- H. Y. Hwang, "The relationship among pain, depression and sleep disturbance of the elderly with chronic low back pain." Vol., No., pp. Unpublished master's thesis, The Catholic University of Busan, Busan. 2013.
- J. J. Oh, M. S. Song, S. M. Kim, "Development and validation of Korea sleep scale A." Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp.563-72. 1998. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.19184.108.40.2063
- M. J. Cho, K. H. Kim, "Diagnostic validity of the CES-D (Korean version) in the assessment of DSM-III-R major depression." Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp.381-99. 1993.
- S. K. Min, C. I. Lee, K. I. Kim, S. Y. Suh, D. K. Kim, "Development of Korean version of WHO quality of life scale abbreviated version (WHOQOL-BREF)." Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, Vol. 39, No. 3, pp.571-9. 2000.
- S. H. Lee, S. O. Yang, "The effects of chronic musculoskeletal pain and depression on health-related quality of life by gender in community-dwelling older adults." Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp.21-30. 2010. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.1.21
- B. K. Cha, C. S. Park, "A comparison of pain, pain interference and fatigue according to the level of physical activity in the elderly with chronic pain." Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp.162-72. 2011. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2011.22.2.162
- Y. S. Lee, "A study on the effects of pain, sleep pattern, life satisfaction on depression in elderly women with osteoarthritis." Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp.211-22. 2011.
- J. H. Lim, "The relationship among depressive symptoms and chronic diseases in the elderly." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp.481-90. 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.6.481
- D. O. Clegg, D. J. Reda, C. L. Harris, M. A. Klein, J. R. O'dell, M. M. Hooper, J. D. Bradley, C. O. Bingham III, M. H. Weisman, C. G. Jackson, "Glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, and the two in combination for painful knee osteoarthritis." N engl j Med, Vol. 2006, No. 354, pp.795-808. 2006.
- J. S. Kim, "Influencing factors for fear of falling in degenerative arthritis patients." Taehan Kanho Hakhoe chi, Vol. 37, No. 7, pp.1184-92. 2007.
- S. Yazdi-Ravandi, Z. Taslimi, H. Saberi, J. Shams, S. Osanlo, G. Nori, A. Haghparast, "The role of resilience and age on quality of life in patients with pain disorders." Basic and clinical neuroscience, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp.24. 2013.