- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing Acculturative Stress of Migrant Workers
외국인 근로자의 문화적응 스트레스 영향요인
- Kim, Ji-Hyun (Dept. of Nursing, Daejeon University) ;
- Kim, Bo-Mi (Dept. of Social Work, Chungcheong University)
- Received : 2017.06.29
- Accepted : 2017.08.20
- Published : 2017.08.28
The purpose of this study was to identify acculturative stress, social support and self esteem in migrant workers. The data of 181 subjects were collected from June 1st to September 27, 2016, and analyzed using the SPSS WIN 23.0 program. Results: There was a significant negative correlation among acculturative stress, social support(r=-.465, p<.001) and self esteem(r=-353, p<.001). Stepwise multiple regression analysis showed self esteem(
Acculturative stress;Migrant wokers;Self esteem;Social support;Adaptation
Supported by : 대전대학교
- Statistics Korea. Statistics on foreign residents by local governments: International immigrants [Internet]: Statistics Korea. 2016 [cited 2016 March 4]. Available from
- H. Im, H. Y. Lee, "Resilience and Mental Health among Migrant Workers in Busan, Korea." Korean Journal of health Education Promotion, Vol. 29, No. 5, pp. 13-26, 2012.
- S. H. Kim, "The study on the influencing of acculturation stress among foreign migrant workers in Korea", Unpublished master's thesis, Chungnam National University, 2005.
- D. H. Kim, Y. C. Cho. "Occupational Stress and Its Associated Factors among Male Workers in Small-scale Manufacturing Industries under 50 Members." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 10, pp. 405-143, 2012.
- M. D. Kim, C. H. Lee. "A Study on the Relevance between Workers' Job Characteristics and Organizational Effectiveness by Job Stress in Small & Medium Sized Enterprises." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 207-215, 2016. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.20188.8.131.52.. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.5.207
- J. W. Berry, "Immigration, acculturation and adaptation." Applied Psychology: An International Review, Vol. 46, No. 1, pp. 5-68, 2006. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/026999497378467
- S. H. Lee, Y. J. Lee, S. Y. Kim, S. J. Shin, "Social Support and Acculturative Stress in Migrant Workers." Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, Vol. 39, pp. 899-910, 2009. DOI : https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.6.899 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.6.899
- I. S. Lee, "The influence of acculturative stress on migrant worker's mental health: Focused on the moderating effects of social relationships." Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, 2004.
- H. Y. Jung, " The Convergence Influence of Life Stress, Depression and Ego Resiliency on College Life Adaptation in Nursing Students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 7, pp. 259-268, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.07.259
- H. M. Kim, S. H. Kim, "Acculturative stress of foreign migrant workers and contributing factors-Examining the role of social support." Mental Health & Social Work, Vol. 30, pp. 78-100, 2008.
- S. Y. Lee, J. S. Lee. "The Convergent Effect of Stress, Social support, and Self-esteem on Depression in Female Students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 12, pp. 335-344, 2016. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2016.14.12.335S.
- D. H. Kim, "Study of effect on parenting efficacy of immigrant women for marriage: Focusing on the mediating effect of acculturation." Unpublished doctoral dissertation. Ewha Womans University, 2008.
- T. I. Choi, "The studies of acculturative stress of foreigners in Korea." Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, 2001.
- J. Han, S. H. Lee, "A Study on Structural Relations among the Social Support, Self-Esteem, and College Life Adjustment of College Students Participating in Convergence Leisure Sports Activities." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 8, pp. 515-523, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.08.515
- S. Y. Lee, J. S. Lee, Y. Y. Kim. "Effects of Self-Esteem and Self-Efficacy on Ego-Resilience of Nursing Students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 401-409, 2016. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2017.15.5.401. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.5.401
- Y. N. Young, M. S. Young, "Effects of self-esteem and health status on adaptation of elderly residents in facilities." Journal of Korean Academy Adults Nursing, Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 552-560, 2010.
- R. I. Yoon, "The influence of married women immigrants' self-esteem, Korean language skills and husbands' abilities to use wives' native languages on marital satisfaction." Unpublished master's thesis, Catholic University of Daegu, 2012.
- Y. Oh, G. F. Koeske, E. Sales, "Acculturation, stress, depressive symptoms among Korean immigrants in the United States." The Journal of Social Psychology. Vol. 142, No. 4, pp. 511-526, 2002. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1080/00224540209603915 https://doi.org/10.1080/00224540209603915
- B. D. Choi, Y. K. Kim, "Foregin Immigrants' Recognition on Related Policies and Supporting Activities." Journal of the Korean association of regional geographers, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 357-380, 2011.
- M. S. Lee, H. I. Lee, J. J. Lee, M. S. Yoon, S. H. Kim, "Effects of Participation in Korean Traditional Dance on the Acculturative Stress and Life Satisfaction in the Married Immigrant Women." Journal of the Korea Academic-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 2567-2574, 2011. DOI:https://doi.org/10.5762/kais.2011.12.6.2567 https://doi.org/10.5762/kais.2011.12.6.2567
- A. H. Jaung, H. J. Kim, H. J. Jeong, "A study on Health Status, Social Support and Acculturative Stress of FilipinoMarriage-Migrant Women." Journal of the Korea Academic-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 12, No. 12, pp. 5509-5517, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.12.5509 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.12.5509
- Y. S. Lee, M. H. Jeo, S. H. Hong, "A study of the Effect of Acculturative Stress on the martial Conflicts of Immigrant Women Who Are married to Korean Men-Focusing on the mediating Effect of Social Support." Korean Family Resource Management Association, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 171-194, 2012
- S. H. Kim, S. H. K, "Foreign Wokers' Acculturative Stress in Korea Society." Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 8, pp. 3832-3842, 2013. DOI:https://doi.org/10.5762/kais.2013.14.8.3832 https://doi.org/10.5762/kais.2013.14.8.3832
- D. S. Sandhu, B. R. Asrabadi, "Development of acculturative stress scale for international student: Preliminary findings." Psychological Reports, Vol. 75, pp. 435-448, 1994. DOI:https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19184.108.40.2065 https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19220.127.116.115
- S. R. Lee, "A study on acculturative stress among North Korean defectors residing in South Korea." The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling, Vol. 5, pp. 209-247, 1997.
- G. D. Zimet, N. W. Dahlem, S. G. Zimet, G. K. Farley, "The multidimensional scale of perceived social support." Journal of Personality Assessment, Vol. 52, No. 1, pp. 30-41, 1988. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1037/t03506-000 https://doi.org/10.1037/t03506-000
- J. S. Shin, Y. B. Lee, "The Effects of Social Supports on Psychosocial Well-being of the Unemployed". Korean Journal of Society Welfare. Vol. 37, pp. 241-269. 1999.
- M. Rosenberg, Society and adolescent self-image, Princeton University Press. New Jersey, 1965.
- G. S. Jo, "Effect of music therapy on depression, selfesteem and stress of institutionalzed elderly-focusing on nursing home in daebudo." Unpublished master's thesis, Gachon University, 2008.
- H. J. Jeon, G. E. Lee, "Acculturative stress and depression of vietnamese immigrant workers." Journal of Korean Academy community Health Nursing, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 380-389, 2015. DOI:https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2015.26.4.380 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2015.26.4.380
- I. Y. Cho, "The effects of acculturative stress in foreign migrant workers in their anxiety speaking korean." Unpublished master's thesis, Younsei University, 2010
- Y. L. Kim, "A study on the sociocultural adaptation of immigrant wokers in korea." Discourse 201, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp.103-138, 2008. DOI:https://doi.org/10.17789/discou.2008.11.2.004 https://doi.org/10.17789/discou.2008.11.2.004
- J. K. Kim, H. Y. Yang, "A study on acculturation stress and stress-coping among north korean defectors." Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 50-59, 2011.
- B. R, Seo, "Saetermin adolescent's acculturative stress and drinking behavior: moderating effect of social support and alcohol expectancy." Unpublished master's thesis, Woosuk University, 2009.
- E. Nwadiora, H. M. CAdoo, "Acculturative stress among american refugees : gender and racial differences." Adolecense, Vol. 31, pp. 477-487, 1996.
- Y. M. Jung, " Impacts of social support and acculturative stress on depression among korean registered nurses in the united states." Journal of Korean Academy Society Nursing Education, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 192-202, 2014. DOI:https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.192 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.192
- M. Thomas, J. B. Choi, "Acculturative stress and social support korean and indian immigrant adolescents in the united states." Journal of Sociology & Social Welfare, Vol. 33, pp. 123-143, 2006.
- H. S. Lee, S. H. Lee. "Research on Prevention Principle for Permanent Migration of Migrant Workers." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 117-123, 2016. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2018.104.22.168.