- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Convergence Factors Influencing Body Image in Adolescents
청소년의 신체상에 영향을 미치는 융복합적 요인
- Jung, Mi-Ra (Department of Nursing, Hanyeong College University) ;
- Jeong, Eun (Department of Nursing, Gwangyang Health Sciences University)
- Received : 2017.06.26
- Accepted : 2017.08.20
- Published : 2017.08.28
The purpose of this study was to examine relationships among BMI, perception of body shape, appearance stress, and self-perceived competence on body image and to identify the factors that influence on body image in the adolescents. The data were collected from 140 adolescents in the three middle school located J city using self-reported questionnaires and March 15 2017 to March 29 2017. The data were analyzed by descriptive statistics, T-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient, and multiple regression with SPSS Statistics 20.0 program. Body image was found to be in a significant positive correlation with perception of body shape, appearance stress, and self-perceived competence. The result of the multiple regression indicates the self-perceived competence and gender predict 21%(F=10.25, p<.001) of body image. Therefore it is necessary to develop convergence self-perceived competence strategy program for establish right body image of adolescents.
Body Image;BMI;Perception of Body Shape;Appearance Stress;Self-Perceived Competence
- G. W. Stuart, "Principles and practice of psychiatric nursing." ST Louis: Mosby Company. 1983.
- M. Y. Kim, I. S. Kwon, S. H. Kim, J. S. Kim, T. I. Kim, M. K. Sim, S. Y. Lee, S. E. Chung, K. C. Cho, "Introduction to child health nursing." Seoul: Soomoonsa. 2014.
- P. N. Park, "A study for the body image, self-esteemand sociability of elementary students related on obesity." The Journal of the Korean Society of School Health, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 13-21, 2007.
- Y. J. Chyung, "Relationships between body image attitude and its correlates in early adolescence." Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, Vol. 48, No. 5, pp. 103-117, 2010.
- M. J. Kim, "BMI, body image, food habit and food attitude in college female students." The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 10, No. 10, pp. 389-395, 2012.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, "Adolescent health behavior online survey", https://yhs.cdc.go.kr/new/pages/main.asp (December 16, 2016)
- S. M. Richardson, S. J. Paxton, J. S. Thomson, "Is body think an efficacious body image and self-esteem program? A controlled evaluation with adolescents." Body Image, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 75-82, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bodyim.2008.11.001
- P. S. Choi, I. S. Min, W. K. Kim, "The effect of obesity on educational achievement in the adolescence." Korean Journal of Educational Research, Vol. 47, No. 3, pp. 73-92, 2009.
- J. A. Park, S. H. Lee, J. S. Kim, "Body-figure preferences in male and female adolescents." Korean Journal of Health Promotion, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 190-196, 2005.
- M. Y. Hong, "Mediating effects of self-esteem on the relationship between middle school students appearance stress and depression." Master's thesis, Ajou National University, 2013.
- National Youth Policy Institute, "Study on mental health of korean adolescents", http://www.nypi.re.kr/brdartcl/boardarticleView.do?brd_id=BDIDX_o852e04z12Gstr15K7ytnU&cont_idx=8&menu_nix=7BwRfb3e&edomweivgp=R (December 27, 2012)
- S. Harter, "Manual for the self-perception profile for children." University of Denver. 1985.
- S. Harter, "The perceived competence scale for children." Child Development, Vol. 53, No. 1, pp. 87-97, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2307/1129640
- J. Y. Min, "Effects of perceived competence and social support on depression of adolescents: Mediation effects of self-esteem." Ph.D. thesis, Anyang National University, 2010.
- S. H. Kim, "The determinants of general self-esteem in adolescents: The influences of self-perceived competence and social supports." The Korean Journal of Human Development, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 1-18, 2010.
- K. H. Choi, K. M. Lee, I. S. Choi, "Relationship between children's perceived competences and the expressive disposition of interpersonal relations and parents' social support." The Journal of Korean Society for School Health Education, Vol. 17, pp. 59-74, 2006.
- L. Choate, "Counseling adolescent girls for body image resilience: Strategies for school guidance." Professional School Counseling, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 67-72, 2007.
- J. M. Kim, S. J. Yi, "Developmental changes in the effect of sociocultural factors towards appearance, body mass index and self-esteem on body image." Journal of Korean Home Management Association, Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 1-12, 2009.
- W. C. Park, "The effects of adolescents' body mass index, self-esteem, family criticism and media exposure on their body image." Master's thesis, Yonsei National University, 2009.
- B. Mendelson, D. R. White, "Relation between body-esteem and self-esteem of obese and normal children." Perceptual and Moter Skills, Vol. 54, pp. 899-905, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.1922.214.171.1249
- J. O. Park, "A Study on obesity-related body image, self-esteem and sociability among elementary schoolers." Master's thesis, Pusan National University, 2004.
- WHO, "The Asia-Pacific perspective: redefining obesity and its treatment", Health Communications Australia, Melbourne. 2000.
- K. M. Yang, "The link between body-esteem and self-esteem during adolescence." Master's thesis, Chungbuk National University, 1993.
- H. O. Kim, "Effect of children's social network on self-perceived competence, ego-resiliency and psychological well-being." Ph.D. thesis, Dongduk Women's National University, 2010.
- Y. M. Lee, H. Y. Min, "Adolescents' sense of self-worth according to their body image and parent-adolescent communication." The Korean Journal of Human Development, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 79-94, 2009.
- M. H. Lee, J. K. Kim, "The mediating effects of self-efficacy on body image and social anxiety in adolescents." Forum for Youth Culture, Vol. 31, pp. 62-84, 2012.
- D. H. Nam, "The measures of agreement between the classification standard of BMI and that of CDRS in women university students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 519-527, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.2.519 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.2.519
- Y. J. Noh, S. H. Kim, "The developmental differences of the influences on self-esteem by self-perceived competences and social support in primary schoolers and secondary schoolers." Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 181-204, 2016.
- M. H. Youn, S. H. Kim, "The mediating effects of self-perceived competence on the relationship between covert narcissism and dysfuntional anger expression of middle school students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 541-551, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.5.541 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.5.541
- S. H. Hong, K. H. Kim, "Attachment to fathers and mothers and self-perceived competence about friendship quality in elementary school children." Korean Journal of Child Studies, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 225-242, 2005.
- E. H. Choi, M. H. Mo, "Body image according to body mass index of one area of male and female high school and college students." Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 1313-1319, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.3.1313
- J. E. Jung, J. M. Kim, "The effects of narcissism, perfectionism and family resilience on adolescents' body image." The Journal of Play Therapy, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 1-17, 2010.