- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Convergence Relationships among Nutrition Knowledge, Health Beliefs, Self-efficacy, and Diet Management Behaviors in Persons with Hypertension in Sri Lanka
스리랑카 고혈압 환자의 영양지식, 건강신념, 자기효능감, 식이조절행위의 융복합적 관계 연구
- Malkanthie, Shiroma (National School of Nursing Sri Jayawardenepura) ;
- Shin, So Young (Department of Nursing, College of Medicine, Inje University)
- Received : 2017.06.03
- Accepted : 2017.08.20
- Published : 2017.08.28
This study aimed to identify the convergence relationships among nutrition knowledge, health beliefs, diet self-efficacy, and diet management behaviors among Sri Lankans with hypertension (HTN). 91 adults diagnosed with HTN for more than one year participated in this study. A set of interviewer-administered questionnaire was used to assess general characteristics, nutrition knowledge, health beliefs, diet self-efficacy, and diet management behaviors. A stepwise multiple regression analysis was conducted to identify the factors that might influence diet management behaviors. There were statistically significant positive correlations between nutrition knowledge (r=0.26, p=.013), health beliefs (r=0.35, p=.001), diet self-efficacy (r=0.34, p=.001) and HTN diet management behaviors. Three variables, nutrition knowledge, health beliefs, and diet self-efficacy, explained 19.9% of the variance in HTN diet management behaviors (F=8.36, p=.001). Diet self-efficacy was the most significant influencing factor (
Supported by : Inje University
- World Health Organization, Raised blood pressure: global health observatory. 2008. DOI: http://who.int/gho/ncd/risk_factors/blood_pressure_prevalence_text/en/
- W. A. Kumara, T. Perera, M. Dissanayake, P. Ranasinghe, G. R. Constantine, "Prevalence and risk factors for resistant hypertension among hypertensive patients from developing country." BMC Research Notes, No. 6, pp. 373, 2013.
- J. P. Forman, M. J. Stampfer, G. C. Curhan, "Diet and life style risk factors associated with incident hypertension in women." Journal of American Medical Association, Vol. 302, No. 4, pp. 401-411, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2009.1060
- U. S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institute of Health, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, Your guide to lowering your blood pressure with DASH. 2003. DOI: http://nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/public/heart/dash_brief.pdf
- K. Wijewardena, M. R. Mohideen, S. Mendis, D. S. Fernando, T. Kulatilake, D. Weerasekara, et al., "Prevalence of hypertension, diabetes, and obesity: baseline finding of a population based survey in four provinces in Sri Lanka." Ceylon Medical Journal, Vol. 50, No. 2, pp. 62-70, 2005.
- Sri Lanka Ministry of Health Care and Nutrition, The national health policy and strategic frame work for prevention and control of chronic non communicable diseases. 2009. DOI: http://22.214.171.124/NCD/temp/ NCD%20Policy%20English.pdf
- R. Jayawardena, N. M. Byrne, M. J. Soares, P. Katulanda, A. P. Hills, "Food consumption of Sri Lankan adults an appraisal of serving characteristics." Public Health Nutrition, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 653-658, 2012.
- K. Elfhag, S. Tolin, F. Rasmussen, "Consumption of fruits and vegetables, sweets and soft drinks are associated with psychological dimensions of eating behavior in parents and their 12 year old children." Public Health Nutrition, Vol. 11, No. 9, pp. 914-923, 2008.
- A. R. Shaikh, A. I. Yaroch, L. Nebeling, M. C. Yeh, K. Resnicow, "Psychological predictors of fruits and vegetables consumption in adults: a review of the literature." American Journal of Preventive Medicine, Vol. 34, No. 6, pp. 535-543, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2007.12.028
- S. J. Jang, "Convergent relationship between functional oral health literacy, oral health knowledge and oral health behavior of some university students." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 69-75, 2016.
- S. U. Yoon, S. J. Jang, "Convergent relationship between oral health knowledge and oral health behavior of health-related and health-unrelated majors university students in some areas." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 97-104, 2016.
- S. G. C. Pires, C. F. Mussi, "Health belief regarding diet: a perspective hypertensive black individuals." Revista da Escola de Enfermagem da USP, Vol. 46, No. 3, pp. 580-588, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0080-62342012000300008
- R. Pawlak, S. Colby, "Benefits, barriers, self-efficacy and knowledge regarding healthy foods: perception of African Americans living in Eastern North Carolina." Nutrition Research and Practice, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 56-63, 2009. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2009.3.1.56
- D. Liou, "Influence of self-efficacy on fat related dietary behavior in Chinese Americans." International Electronic Journal of Health Education, No. 7, pp. 27-37, 2004.
- R. Jayawardena, S. Thennakoon, N. Byrne, M. Soares, P. Katulanda, A. Hills, "Energy and nutrient intakes among Sri Lankan adults." International Archives of Medicine, Vol. 7, No. 34, pp. 1-11, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1186/1755-7682-7-1
- S. Sasaki, "The value of national and nutrition survey in Japan." Lancet, Vol. 1, No. 378, pp. 1205-1206, 2001.
- K. Parmenter, J. Wardle, "Development of a general nutrition knowledge questionnaire for adults." European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 53, No. 4, pp. 298-308, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1600726
- T. Robinson, "Hypertension belief and behaviors of African American in selected Cleveland public housing." Ph. D. dissertation, p. 179, Kent State University, 2012.
- C. Stich, B. Knauper, A. Tint, "A scenario-based measure of dieting self-efficacy: The DIET-SE." Assessment, No. 16, pp. 16-30, 2009.
- H. J. Kim, S. Choi-Kwon, H. Kim, Y. H. Park, C. K. Koh, "Health promoting lifestyle behaviors and psychological status among Arabs and Korean in the United Arab Emirates." Research in Nursing Health, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp 133-141, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.21644
- A. Selivanova, J. M. Cramm, "The relationship between healthy behaviors and health outcomes among older adults in Russia." BMC Public Health, No. 14, pp. 1183, 2014.
- F. Geaney, S. Fitzgerald, J. M. Harrington, C. Kelly, B. A. Greiner, L. J. Perry, "Nutrition knowledge, diet quality and hypertension in a working population." Preventive Medicine Reports, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 105-113, 2015.
- J. W. McClelland, K. S. U. Jayaratne, C. L. Bird, "Nutrition education brings behavior and knowledge change in limited resource older adults." Journal of Extension, Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 1-12, 2013.
- J. Ranilovic, J. Markovina, K. Znidar, I. Coric Baric, "Attitude to healthy eating among representative sampling of Croation adults: a comparison with Mediterranean countries." International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, Vol. 60, No. 7, pp. 11-29, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/09637480802167425
- DOI: U. Jaiyungyuen, N. Suwonnaroop, P. Priyatruk, K. Moopayak, "Factors influencing health promotion behaviors of older people with hypertension." Mae Fah Luang University, 2012. http://mfuic2012.mfu.ac.th/electronic_proceeding/Do cuments/00_PDF/P-HS/P-HS-08%20Umakorn%20Jaiyungyuen.pdf
- B. Gutierrez-Dona, S. Lippke, B. Renner, S. Kwon, R. Schwarzer, "Self-efficacy and planning predict dietary behaviors in Costa Ricon and South Korea women: two moderated mediation analyses." Applied Psychology: Health and Well-Being, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 91-104, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1758-0854.2008.01001.x
- K. M. Turner, J. M. Nicholson, M. R. Sanders, "The role of practitioner self-efficacy, training, program and work place factors on the implementation of an evidence-based parenting intervention in primary care." Journal of Primary Prevention, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 95-112, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10935-011-0240-1
- K. Y. Sohng, S. Sohng, H. A. Yeom, "Health promoting behaviors of elderly Korean immigrants in the United States." Public Health Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 294-300, 2012.
- N. T. Artinian, G. F. Fletcher, D. Mozaffarian, P. Kris-Etherton, L. Van Horn, A. H. Lichtenstein, et al., "Interventions to promote physical activity and dietary life-style changes for cardiovascular risk factor reduction in adults: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association." Circulation, Vol. 122, No. 4, pp. 406-441, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0b013e3181e8edf1
- K. M. White, D. J. Terry, C. Troup, L. A. Rempel, "Behavioral, normative and control beliefs underlying low-fat dietary and regular physical activity behaviors for adults diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and or cardiovascular disease." Psychology, Health and Medicine, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 485-494, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1080/13548500601089932