- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Organizational Justice and Psychological Contract on Turnover Intention as Mediated by Trust and Distrust
조직공정성과 심리적 계약이 신뢰와 불신을 매개로 이직의도에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Do-Kyun (Dept. of Information Management, Graduate School of Venture, Hoseo University) ;
- Yang, Hae-Sool (Dept. of Information Management, Graduate School of Venture, Hoseo University)
- Received : 2017.06.29
- Accepted : 2017.08.20
- Published : 2017.08.28
Organizational trust is recognized as a factor that is directly linked to the organization's success in the sudden change represented by the 4th Industrial Revolution and uncertainties. This study selected trust and distrust as separate concepts and verified the structural relationship between organizational justice, psychological contract, trust, distrust, and turnover intention. Organizational justice was significant as a antecedents of distrust, whereas psychological contract was antecedents of trust, and distrust only had a significant effect on turnover intention. This result supports that trust and distrust are not one dimensions but two separate concepts. Also, organizational justice had no direct effect on turnover intention and only indirect effect through distrust was significant. This study has implications for both theoretical and practical aspects in terms of identifying the differential effects of trust and distrust.
Trust;Distrust;Organizational Justice;Psychological Contract;Turnover intentions
- F. Fukuyama, "Trust: The social Virtues and the Creation of Prosperity", The Korea Economic Daily, 1995.
- P. M. Podsakoff, S. B. Mackenzie, & W. H. Boomer, "Transformational Leader Behaviors And Substitutes For Leadership As Determinants Of Employee Satisfaction, Commitment, Trust, and Organizational Citizenship Behaviors", Journal of Management, Vol. 22, pp. 259-298, 1996.
- P. Y. Ahn, H. S. Yang, "A Study on the Influence of Transformational Leadership, Trust on Creative Behavior", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, Issue 7, pp. 147-157, 2014.
- J. B. Kim, "A Study on the Influence of Authentic Leadership in the Age of Convergence on the Organizational Effectiveness: Revolved around Effect of Tuned from Confidence of Superior", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, Issue 12, pp. 125-134, 2015.
- G. A. Bigley, & J. L. Pearce, "Straining for shared meaning in organization science: Problems of trust and distrust", Academy of Management Review, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 405-421, 1998. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1998.926618
- R. C. Mayer, J. H. Davis, & F. D. Schoorman, "An integrative model of organizational trust", Academy of Management Review, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 709-734, 1995. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1995.9508080335
- R. J. Lewicki, D. J. McAllister, & R. J. Bies, "Trust and distrust: New relationships and realities", Academy of Management Review, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 438-458, 1998. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1998.926620
- B. Y. Kim, & B. S. Cho, "Conditions of trusted workplace", LG Business Insight, No. 2008.05.21, pp. 2-19, 2008.
- A. K. Mishra, "Organizational responses to crisis: The Centrality of Trust", In R. M. Kramer, & T. R. Tyler (Eds.), Trust in organizations: Frontiers of theory and research, Sage Publications, pp. 261-287, 1996.
- S. B. Sitkin, & N. L. Roth, "Explaining the limited effectiveness in legalistic remedies for trust, distrust", Organization Science, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 367-392, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.4.3.367
- F. D. Schoorman, R. C. Mayer, & J. H. Davis, "An integrative model of organizational trust: Past, present, and future", Academy of Management Review, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 344-354, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.2007.24348410
- D. J. McAllister, K. Pang, H. H. Tan, & Y. Ruan, "Social dynamics of paranoia and distrust in teams", Paper presented at the annual convention of the Academy of Management, Atlanta, 2006.
- B. Moon, & Y. Rhee, "Two different faces of organization-public relationships in public relations: Measurement of the negative relational characteristics", Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, Vol. 55, No. 5, pp. 416-447, 2011.
- H. G. Kim, "A Study on the Causal Relationships among Organizational Justice, Organizational Trust, and Organizational Citizenship Behavior", Korean Public Administration Review, Vol. 41, No.2, pp. 69-94, 2007.
- J. A. Colquitt, "On the dimensionality of organizational justice: a construct validation of a measure", Journal of applied psychology, Vol. 86, No. 3, pp. 386-400, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.86.3.386
- D. M. Rousseau, "Schema, promise and mutuality: The building blocks of the psychological contract", Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 74, No. 4, pp. 511-541, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1348/096317901167505
- K. M. Lee, "The Effects of Psychological Contract Violation on Employee"s Job Attitude and Behavior: Focusing Moderating Effects of Negative Affectivity", Korean Business Education Review, Vol. 44, pp. 267-286, 2006.
- I. R. Macneil, "Relational contract: What we do and do not know", Wisconsin Law Review, No. 1985, pp. 483-526, 1985.
- S. L. Robinson, M. S. Kraatz, & D. M. Rousseau, "Changing obligations and the psychological contract: A longitudinal study", Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 137-152, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/256773
- D. M. Rousseau, & J. McLean Parks, "The contracts of individuals and organizations", Research in organizational behavior, Vol. 15, pp. 1-43, 1993.
- W. H. Mobley, "Intermediate linkages in the relationships between job satisfaction and employee turnover." Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 62, pp. 237-240, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.62.2.237
- H. J. Ju, & J. G. Kim, "The Influence of Convergence Corporate Cultural Management Activities upon Organizational Effectiveness: Focusing on the Mediating Effects of Organizational Communication", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, Issue 8, pp. 191-206, 2015.
- K. C. Kwon, and H. S. Yang, "Structural Relationships between the Variables of Coaching Leadership, Job Characteristics and Organizational Effectiveness in Convergence Environment." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, Issue 5, pp. 247-262, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.5.247
- S. H. Yoon, & K. Y. Hong, "A study on the Influence for the Organizational Citizenship Behaviors and Trust on Equity Perception of Work Place in the Travel Agent Employees: Focused on the Travel Agencies in Seoul", Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Studies, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 157-190, 2001.
- S. B. Cho, "The Effects of hotel restaurants employee"s Perceived Fairness of the Rewards on the Reliability and the Service Quality: Focused on the deluxe hotel restaurants employees in Seoul", Korea Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 279-291, 2006.
- S. L. Robinson, "Trust and breach of the psychological contract", Administrative science quarterly, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp. 574-599, 1996. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393868
- S. H. Kwag, & M. H. Kim, "A Study on Effects of Psychological Contract Violation on Counterproductive Work Behavior: The Mediating Role of Trust", Korea Journal of Business Administration, Vol. 23 No. 4, pp. 2219-2249, 2010.
- S. W. Hong, A study on the antecedents and outcomes of trust and distrust in team organization, Doctoral degree, Myongji University, 2010.
- S. L. Robinson, & D. M. Rousseau, "Violating the psychological contract: Not the exception but the norm", Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol. 15, pp. 245-259, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030150306
- C. G. Lee, & D. J. Lee, "An Empirical Study on Relationships between Organizational Justice and Employee's Attitude: Investigating a moderation effect of job burnout", Korea Journal of Business Administration, Vol. 25 No. 8, pp. 3375-3395, 2012.
- J. H. Rhee, & I. B. Choi, "Realationship among Organizational Justice, Trust and Organizational Effectiveness", Korean Journal of Management, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 93-112, 2004.
- W. H. Turnley, & D. C. Feldman, "Re-examining the effects of psychological contract violations: Unmet expectations and job dissatisfaction as mediators", Journal of organizational behavior, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 25-42, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(200002)21:1<25::AID-JOB2>3.0.CO;2-Z
- H. K. Moon, B. K. Choi, & E. Y. Nae, "Review of Trust Research Trends and Recommendations for Future Research Direction in Korea", Korean Management Review, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 139-186, 2011.
- D. W. Kim, C. M. Park, "The Mediating Role of Trust on the Relationship between Justice and Performance in Organization", The Korean Journal of Local Government Studies, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 47-66, 2012.
- J. Cho, "The effects of trust/distrust on information privacy concerns (IPC) and the moderating roles of individual propensities", International Journal of Business Research, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 107-115, 2007.
- J. Y. Choo, "The effect of organizational culture and organizational justice on organizational effectiveness", Doctoral degree, Hanyang University, 2017.
- J. H. Han, H. S. Yang, "Structural Relationships between the Variables of Person-Environment Fit, Positive Psychological Capital and Innovative Work Behavior", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 10, pp. 225-240, 2016.
- Jung-Im Kim, Bo-Ram Choi, "Convergence Study on Emotional Labor, Stress Response and Turnover Intention of Call-center Worker", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 139-146, 2015.
- H. S. Lee, and J . H. Lim, "SPSS 16.0 manual." Paju, Bobmunsa, 2009.
- B. D. Na, J. G. Kim, "The Influence of Emotional Intelligence Convergence and Work-Family Conflict on Organizational Effectiveness", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 8, pp. 207-220, 2015.
- J. F. Hair, W. C. Black, B. J. Babin, and R. E. Anderson, "Multivariate data analysis (7th Edition)." Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2009.
- J. H. Kim, S. H. Hong, and B. D. Choo, "Applications of Structural Equation Modeling in Management Studies: A Critical Review." Korean Management Review, Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 897-923, 2007.
- Y. H. Cho, "The relationship employee- organization relationships and organizational effectiveness: antecedents, maintenance strategies, and outcomes of relationships", Doctoral degree, Hanyang University, 2015.