- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
KOLAO Holdings' Entry Strategy to Southeast Asian Automotive Market through Combined Activities of Exploration and Exploitation
탐험 및 활용의 복합적 활동을 통한 코라오홀딩스의 동남아시아 자동차시장 진출전략
- Pae, Jaesung (Dept. of Business Consulting, Daejeon University) ;
- Seo, Young Wook (Dept. of Business Consulting, Daejeon University)
- Received : 2017.06.05
- Accepted : 2017.08.20
- Published : 2017.08.28
Kolao Holdings has a dominant market share in Lao Automotive market, wherever Japanese automotive makers have the biggest market share in other Southeast Asian countries. The company that was founded by a Korean in Laos has firstly listed on the Korean Stock Market among companies which Koreans founded abroad. Applying the model of Exploration and Exploitation by March(1991), this study is aiming at finding out what the management strategy leaded to Kolao's success in Laos. In addition, this study figured out the company's process innovation and cultural innovation. In result, it is summarized that the exploitation activities contributed to the entry to Lao market, the exploration activities to expanding market to neighboring countries, the process innovation to creation profits, and cultural innovation to sustainable growth.
Exploitation;Exploration;Kolao Holdings;Laos;Automotive Market;Localization
- Deok-Man Kim, "Revitalization small business of the overseas exchange through the convergence of private network: Focusing on Laos in the Indochina Peninsula", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 31-36, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.2.031
- March, J. G., "Exploration and Exploitation in Organizational Learning", Organization Science, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 71-87, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.2.1.71
- Hyojung Kim, Namgyoo K. Park, "The Conceptual Definition and Future Study Plan for Exploration and Exploitation Studies", Journal of Strategic Management, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 1-34, 2010.
- Nerkar, A., "Old Is Gold? The Value of Temporal Exploration in the Creation of New Knowledge", Management Science, Vol. 49, No. 2, pp. 211-229, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.220.127.116.1147
- Benner, M. J. and M.L. Tushman, "Exploitation, Exploration, And Process Management: The Productivity, Dilemma Revisited", Academy of Management Review, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 238-256, 2003. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2003.9416096
- Teece, D. J., G. Pisano, and A. Shuen, "Dynamic Capabilities and Strategic Management", Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 18, No. 7, pp. 509-533, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199708)18:7<509::AID-SMJ882>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Jansen, J. J. P., F. A. J. Van Den Bosch and H. W. Volberda, "Exploratory Innovation, Exploitative Innovation, and Performance: Effects of Organizational Antecedents and Environmental Moderators", Management Science, Vol. 52, No. 11, pp. 1661-1674, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1060.0576
- Lavie, D., U. Stettner and M. L. Tushman, "Exploration and Exploitation Within and Across Organizations", Academy of Management Annals, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 109-155, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1080/19416521003691287
- He, Z. L. and P. K. Wong, "Exploration vs. Exploitation: An Empirical Test of the Ambidexterity Hypothesis", Organization Science, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 481-494, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1040.0078
- Sangmoon Park and Byungheon Lee, "The Impact of Exploration, Exploitation, and R&D Organization on Innovations in the Korean SMEs", Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 118-143, 2008.
- Yoonsoo Lee, "Empirical Analysis of the Relationship between Exploration and Exploitation of SMEs in Korea", Journal of Social Science, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 95-113, 2011. https://doi.org/10.15820/khjss.2011.37.1.005
- Seongwook Ha, "The Impact of Exploitation and Exploration on the Firm Performance: SMEs in the Korean Electronic Industry", Korean Management Review, Vol. 39, No. 4, pp. 907-937, 2010.
- Dong-Seop Chung, "A Study on Taxonomy of Exploration and Exploitation Inno-Biz Small-Medium Corporation", Korean Journal of Business Administration, Vol. 24, No. 6, pp. 3723-3741, 2011.
- Eun-Young Park, Dong-Gi Kwag, "The Study on the Market Competitiveness Reinforcement for Convergence Industry", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 99-106, 2015.
- Hyangsoo Lee, Seong-Hoon Lee, "Study on Organizational Performance: Focused on Public Institutions", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15. No. 3, pp. 47-54, 2017.
- Kil-Hong Kim, Dong-Woo Yang, "A Study on the Effect of CEO ethics on the business performance of company : Focusing on construction companies", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 173-183, 2016.
- KOTRA, "Country Report: Case of Success and Failure in Laos", http://www.kotra.or.kr/kh/main/KHMIUI010M.html, May 5, 2016.
- KOTRA, "Strategy of Entry to Laos", http://www.kotra.or.kr/kh/main/KHMIUI010M.html, May 5, 2016.
- Auh, S and Menguc, B., "Balancing Exploration and Exploitation: The Moderating role of Competitive Intensity", Journal of Business Research, Vol. 58, No. 12, pp. 1652-1661, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2004.11.007
- Kane, G. C. and M. Alavi, "Information Technology and Organizational Learning : An Investigation of Exploration and Exploitation Processes", Organization Science, Vol. 18, pp. 795-812, 2007.
- Yalcinkaya, G., R.J. Calantone, and D.A. Griffith, "An Examination of Exploration and Exploitation Capabilities: Implications for Product Innovation and Market Performance", Journal of International Marketing, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 63-93, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1509/jimk.15.4.63
- Hyeonsu Byeon, "A Convergent Perspective on Preference Attributes by Purchase Channel Choosing Used Cars", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 215-223, 2017. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.3.215
- HelloDD, "Go to Kolao Group, the Biggest Private Company in Laos", http://www.hellodd.com/?md=news&mt=view&pid=53451, May 3, 2016.
- Maeil Business Newspaper, "INTERVIEW with CEO of Kolao Group", http://news.mk.co.kr/newsRead.php?year=2014&no=772350, May 3, 2016.
- Global Economic Newspaper, "Interview with CEO of Kolao Group", http://www.g-enews.com/, May 3, 2016.