- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Analysis of a New Product Failure by the Use of Root Cause Analysis and Fault Tree Analysis: The Case of Samsung Galaxy Note7
근본원인분석과 고장수목분석 기법을 활용한 신제품 실패 분석: 삼성 갤럭시노트7 사례를 중심으로
- Jung, Won-Jun (Dept. of Industrial Engineering, Chonnam National University) ;
- Ham, Dong-Han (Dept. of Industrial Engineering, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2017.04.24
- Accepted : 2017.08.20
- Published : 2017.08.28
This study aims to analyze the causes of a new product failure by using system safety methods, focusing on the case of Samsung Galaxy Note7. However, when analyzing the causes of a product failure, if only technical problems are too emphasized, it is likely to miss other more meaningful causes of a failure. Thus, we claim that the root causes of a product failure should be identified in a broad perspective of integrated systems that include non-technical as well as technical elements. With this viewpoint, we investigated the failure of Samsung Galaxy Note7, by using Root Cause Analysis(RCA) and Fault Tree Analysis (FTA). The results showed that it is necessary to address not only the technical issues but also other non-technical issues, such as a very impetuous launch of a new product due to a very tough competition in the market. Additionally, we also found that RCA and FTA could be a useful tool for analyzing the causes of a new product failure from the viewpoint of an integrated system comprising technical and management elements.
RCA;FTA;System Safety Analysis;New Product Development;Product Failure
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- CNET, "Samsung pins explosive Galaxy Note 7 over battery flaw", https://www.cent.com, December 10, 2016.
- B. Y. Jun, "'Samsung Galaxy Note7' is not an accident", The Kyunghyang Sinmun, http://news.khan.co.kr/kh_news/khan_art_view.html?artid=201610151717001, October 15, 2016.
- J-Y. Ryu, "Fobes "Samsung Electronics, Push ahead with launch Galaxy Note7 although Knowing Design Risks", The Seoul Sinmun, http://seoul.co.kr/news/newsView.php?id=20161205500023, December 5, 2016.
- R. J. Latino, K. C. Latino, Root Cause Analysis: Improving Performance for Bottom-Line Results (2nd ed.), Boca Raton: CRC Press, 2002.
- S. H. Eom, S. K. Lee, "A study on analysis of laboratory accident with root cause analysis", Journal of The Korea Institute of Gas, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp.1-5, 2010.
- H. S. Jeoung, "Reliability problem solving through root cause analysis." Journal of Applied Reliability, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp.71-77, 2016.
- J. W. Vincoli, Basic Guide to System Safety (2nd ed.), New Jersey: Wiley, 2006.
- J-H. Lee, "A study on FTA analysis of blasting accidents." Korea Business Review, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp.135-155, 2014.
- B. Seo, D. Lee, "Analysis of electric vehicle fault mode using fault tree analysis." The Korean Society Of Automotive Engineering Annual Conference and Exhibition, pp.1239-1242, 2011.
- B. S., Kim, J. C. Park, System Safety Analysis, Seoul: Hyungseul Publishing Networks, 2009.
- H. S. Park, Y. W. Ha, New Product Marketing, Seoul: Hakyunsa, 1997.
- M. J. Lim, New Product Management, Seoul: Hyungseul Publishing Networks, 2004.
- D. Jain, "Managing new product development for strategic competitive advantage", In D. Iacobucci (ed.), Kellog on Marketing (pp. 130-150), New York: Wiley, 2001.
- Booz, Allen, Hamilton, New Product Management for the 1980's. New York: Booz, Allen, & Hamilton, Inc., 1982.
- P. Trott, Innovation Management and New Product Development(3rd ed.). Harlow: Prentice Hall, 2005.
- W-S. Lee, "Analysis of main cause of failure of new product based on management case" Excellence Marketing for Customer, Vol. 4, pp.33-37, 1997.
- W-S. Lee, "Causes of new product failure based on empirical analysis." Excellence Marketing for Customer, Vol. 6, pp.37-40, 1996.
- H.S. Park, "Success and failure of a new product", Excellence Marketing for Customer, Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 46-49, 2002.
- S.H. Cho, "Study on factors of a new product success", Excellence Marketing for Customer, Vol. 34, No. 9, pp. 62-65, 2000.
- C.S. Kown, K.H. Ahn, J.S. Lee, J.S. Cho, "An analysis on the structure of success/failure factors for new product development", Korea Association of Defence Industry Studies, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 1-19, 2006.
- N. Bhuiyan, "A framework for successful new product development", Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management, Vol. 4. No. 4, pp. 746-770, 2011.
- Wikipedia, "Samsung Galaxy Note Series", http://ko.wikipedia.org, December 16, 2016.
- Youtube, "Der Samsung Battery Test 2016", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmLn7BHHQG4, July 28, 2016.
- Wikipedia, "iPhone 7", http://ko.wikipedia.org, January 3, 2017.
- M. S. Park, D. Y. Koh, K. H. Lee, "Analysis on the Firms' Choice of Recall Types and Their Effects', The Korea Economic Association, Vol. 61, No. 3, 2013
- T-H. Ahn, B-G. Park, "The effects of corporate social responsibility on customer satisfaction and customer citizenship behavior: mediating effects of company image and CSV", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 223-231, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.223
- S-G. Kim, "The study on the CSR: focused on LG electronics", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 69-83, 2016.
- B. Kim, "Effects of customer satisfaction, perceived switching costs and regret on repurchasing intention: the case of coffee chains", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 87-98, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.3.87
- H. K. Hong, B. H. Woo, K. H. Im, "Feature and Countermeasure on Enterprise Crisis through Case Analysis', Korea Knowledge Information Technology Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, 2011.
- W. Heo, "Samsung Electronics' 'Galaxy Note7 explosion' response by New York Times was another disaster", The Huffington Post Korea, http://www.huffingtonpost.kr/2016/10/12/story_n_1 2449652.html, October 12, 2016.
- S-I. Choi, D-I. Kim, "The impact of C.E.O's social responsibility and labor relations attitude on job performance", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 143-149, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.1.143
- M-N. Jo, D-H. Lee, "The impact of CEO's values system and employee's awareness, sympathy on organizational performance", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 12, pp. 95-103, 2016.
- H. Lee, S-H. Lee, "Diagnosis of organizational culture: focused on public institutions", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 9-16, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.3.9
- M. A. Annacchino, New Product Development, Boston: Elsevier, 2003.
- S-I. Choi, S-B. Song, "A study on the effect quality innovation of convergence management", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 10, pp. 99-106, 2015.
- I-H. Yoon, J-H. Kim, H-S. Lee, "The effects of project manager's competencies on the performance of NPD project in project matrix organization: focused on the institute of technology of company of A", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 10, pp. 295-303, 2015.
- J. Seo, "Development of a product risk assessment system using injury information in Korea consumer agency", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 181-190, 2017.
- H.S. Shim, H.J. Jang, "A study on the type of the new business failure factors using failure knowledge", Journal of the Korean Entrepreneurship Society, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 26-44, 2015.