- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Study on Extraction of International Freight Forwarders' Service Quality Factors: the Case of South Korea
포워더의 서비스품질 요인의 도출에 관한 연구 - 한국의 사례 -
- Song, Ki-Jae (Graduate School of Logistics, Incheon National University) ;
- Yeo, Gi-Tae (Graduate School of Logistics, Incheon National University)
- Received : 2017.04.08
- Accepted : 2017.08.20
- Published : 2017.08.28
The international freight forwarders in South Korea currently have fierce competition. However, there are still a very small number of studies Korea locally and globally on the service quality of international freight forwarding industry. This study aims to extract international freight forwarders' service quality factors reflecting the characteristics of freight forwarding industry. Measures of service quality have been selected after literature review and interviews, and then surveys have been conducted on exporters and importers in Korea. The collected data has been analyzed using the exploratory factor analysis. As a result, two service quality factors of international freight forwarders have been extracted: operation characteristics factor defined as accuracy, speediness timeliness and stability, and customer orientation factor defined as professionalism and empathy. An important contribution of this study is that it presents the service quality factors reflecting the characteristics of freight forwarding industry unlike precedent studies. A future research topic is to find out which of the two service quality factors influences more on customer loyalty.
International freight forwarder;Service quality factor;Exploratory factor analysis;Operation characteristics;Customer orientation
- KIFFA, "International Multimodal Transport Practices", 3rd ed., Seoul: KIFFA, p.63-64, p.78, 2016
- H. J. Schramm, "Freight Forwarder's Intermediary Role in Multimodal Transport Chains: A Social Network Approach", Springer Science & Business Media, p.24, 2012.
- I. Baluch, "Transport Logistics: Past, Present, and Predictions", Winning Books, 2005
- S. O. Han, "A Study on Way of Activating Plan of the Third Party Logistics in Domestic Area." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp.131-140, 2016.
- K. J. Song and G. T. Yeo, "A study on International Freight Forwarders' Risk Management Strategies: Using the AHP Method", Korean Journal of Logistics, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp.59-78, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15735/kls.2016.24.4.005
- Cargo News, "Current Situation of International Freight Forwarders Registered in Seoul as of July 2016", URL: http://www.cargonews.co.kr, September 8, 2016.
- Statistics Korea, "Per Industry/Per Size in No. of Employees/No. of Companies, No. of Employees, Wages, No. of Equipment, Operating Expenses, Value Added/Per Industry/Warehouse and Transportrelated Service/Multi-modal Freight Forwarding Business", URL: http://kosis.kr.
- C. H. Shin, J. Y. Choi, K. W. Cho, D. H. Jung, and H. N. Yang, "A Study on Promoting the Competitiveness of Domestic Freight Forwarders" (General Business 2012-08-01), Korea Maritime Institute, 2012.
- Cargo News, "Freight Forwarders' Performance in 2015 (Revised)", URL: http://www.cargonews.co.kr, June 27, 2016.
- H. I. Oh, "A Case Study on the Growth of Deutsche Post DHL by Merger and Acquisition", master's thesis, p.42, Graduate School of Logistics, Inha University, 2011.
- S. Y. Kim, S. W. Lee, C. H. Kim, and J. M. Song, "A Study on Fostering Logistics Global Leaders" (Policy Study 2009-03(Gukjeong), Korea Maritime Institute, pp.56-86, 2009.
- S. M. Lim, "International Transportation", 6th ed., Samyoungsa, p.563, 2015.
- P. Burnson, "Top 25 Freight Forwarders - Is Democratized Data the Secret to a Successful Freight Forwarder?", In "Logistics Management", Retrieved from http://www.logisticsmgmt.com/article/top_25_freight_forwarders_is_democratized_data_the_secret_to_a_successful_f, 2016.
- Armstrong & Associates, "Top 25 Global Freight Forwarders", In "Logistics Management", Retrieved from http://www.logisticsmgmt.com/article/top_25_freight_forwarders_is_democratized_data_the_secret_to_a_successful_f, 2016.
- S. K. Kwon, "An analysis of the Degree of Satisfaction of Customer Services by Freight Forwarders in Korea", master's thesis, Graduate School of Dongguk University, 1998.
- H. J. Ahn, "A Study on Korean Trading Firms' Satisfaction on International Logistics Service", master's thesis, Graduate School of Distribution and Logistics, MyongJi University, 2004.
- K. H. Lai and T. C. E. Cheng, "A Study of the Freight Forwarding Industry in Hong Kong", International journal of logistics Research and Applications, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp.71-84, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1080/1367556042000199011
- G. S. Liang, T. Y. Chou, and S. F. Kan, "Applying Fuzzy Quality Function Deployment to Identify Service Management Requirements for an Ocean Freight Forwarder", Total Quality Management & Business Excellence, Vol. 17, No. 5, pp.539-554, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/14783360600587994
- C. H. Ahn, "An Empirical Study on Impact of Service Orientation upon Business Performance in International Logistics Firm: Primarily on International Freight Forwarders", Ph.D. dissertation, Graduate School of Korea Maritime University, 2006.
- K. S. Yoon, "Analysis of Service Priorities of Korean Freight Forwarder from Small to Medium sized Enterprises Perspective", master's thesis, Graduate School of International Trade and Logistics, Inha University, 2007.
- M. Y. Choi, "An Empritical Study on the Factors Influencing Customer Satisfaction in Korean Freight Forwarding Industry", master's thesis, Graduate School of Business Administration, Pukyong National University, 2009.
- Z. Wenyong, Z. Jing, and C. Hongxiang, "Service Quality Evaluation for International Freight Forwarder", In 2010 7th International Conference on Service Systems and Service Management (pp.1-5). IEEE, 2010.
- C. H. Oh, "An Empirical Study on the Influence of International Freight Forwarder's Service Quality on Customer Satisfaction and Loyalty", master's thesis, Graduate School of Maritime Industry, Korea Maritime University, 2011.
- J. H. Kim, "An Empirical Study on the Effects of Freight Forwarder Service Quality on Customer Satisfaction and Long-term Orientation", master's thesis, Graduate School of Maritime Industry, Korea Maritime and Ocean University, 2015.
- H. J. Kim, "A Study on the Influence of International Freight Forwarder's Service Quality on Customer Satisfaction and Repurchase Intention", master's thesis, Graduate School of Marine & Logistics, Korea Maritime and Ocean University, 2016.
- C. H. Kim, "Freight Forwarding Service Systems Impact on Customer Satisfaction", Ph.D. dissertation, Graduate School of Venture, Hoseo University, 2012.
- H. R. Choi, S. J. Hwang, S. G. Hong, K. B. Lee, and S. H. Gang, "A Study on the Effects of a Relationship Marketing on the Customer Response and Long-Term Relationship Orientation in Freight Forwarder", Journal of the Korean Society for Fisheries and Marine Sciences Education, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp.111-122, 2012. https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2012.24.1.111
- M. Kilibarda, S. Nikolicic, and M. Andrejic, "Measurement of Logistics Service Quality in Freight Forwarding Companies: A Case Study of the Serbian Market", The International Journal of Logistics Management, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp.770-794, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJLM-04-2014-0063
- A. Parasuraman, V. A. Zeithaml, and L. L. Berry, "SERVQUAL: A Multiple-item Scale for Measuring Consumer Perceptions of Service Quality", Journal of Retailing, Vol. 64, No. 1, pp.12-37, 1988.
- M. Heo, J. W. Kim, and Y. S. Kim, "A Study on Service Quality of Mobile Internet Affecting Customer Satisfaction", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp.161-176, 2010.
- M. H. Shin, "A Comparison of SERVPERF and KS-SQI for the On-line Education-website Service Quality Measurement", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 9, No. 5, pp.253-263, 2011.
- H. J. Kim and S. L. Han, "The Effect of Sports Centers' Service Guarantee on Service Quality, Service Value, Customer Satisfaction and Customer Loyalty", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 9, pp.127-138, 2013.
- M. J. Shin, S. B. Park, and K. S. Han, "An Empirical Study on the Effects of Trade Distribution Service Quality on Loyalty", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 9, pp.241-250, 2016.
- J. J. Cronin Jr and S. A. Taylor, "Measuring Service Quality: A Reexamination and Extension", The journal of marketing, pp.55-68, 1992.
- K. S. Choi and S. W. Kim, "A Study on the Cooperative Strategy of Enterprises: Focusing on the Importance Weight of Cooperative Strategy Factors", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 10, pp.189-201, 2013.
- S. Y. Kim, S. T. Park, and Y. K. Kim, "Samsung - Apple Patent War Case Analysis: Focus on the Strategy to Deal with Patent Litigation", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp.117-125, 2015.
- J. H. Lee, "A Study on the Analysis of Degree of Satisfaction on Customer Service of Freight Forwarders", Journal of Distribution Research, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp.1-22, 2000.
- J. J. Coyle, E. J. Bardi, and C. J. Langley, "The management of business logistics", Vol. 6, St Paul, MN: West Publishing Company, 1996.
- B. I. Park, "Factors Affecting the Choice of International Freight Forwarders for Korean Shippers", Journal of Korea Port Economic Association, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp.209-225, 2015.
- K. I. Kim, "An Empirical Study on the Influence of Shipping companies' Service Quality on Customer Satisfaction and Loyalty", master's thesis, Graduate School of Maritime Industry, Korea Maritime University, 2008.
- J. H. Jeong, "A Study on Factors of Choosing the Freight Forwarders by the Shippers in Korea", master's thesis, Graduate School of Global Human Resource Development, Chung-Ang University, 2008.
- H. S. Bang, J. H. Na, and G. C. Park, "Approaching to the Shipper's Selection Factors of the Consolidator", Journal of Academy of International Commerce, Vol. 24, pp.97-120, 2009.
- J. K. Shin and M. S. Park, "The Effect of Partnership Satisfaction and Logistics Service Quality by the Role of Carriers on Long Term Orientation", Korea Logistics Review, Vol. 17, pp.75-100, 2007.
- C. H. Cho and B. S. Kang, "A Study on the Customer Satisfaction Strategy with Applying Service Value on the Domestic Parcel Service", Journal of Customer Satisfaction Management Association, Vol. 6, No. 2, p.91, 2004.
- I. T. Baek, "A Study on Measuring Service Quality For Third Party Logistics", Ph.D. dissertation, Graduate School of Korea Maritime University, 2002.
- S. Y. Song, K. B. Bang, and J. S. Kim, "A Study on the Factors Affecting the Choice of Container Shipping Lines in Terms of the Forwarders' Characteristics", Asia-Pacific Journal of Business & Commerce, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp.1-24, 2011.
- C. B. Lee, N. R. Park, and S. Y. Park, "A study on the Effects of Delivery Service Quality on Customer Satisfaction in Internet Apparel Shopping Mall", E-Trade Review, Vol. 6, pp.23-44, 2008.
- J. H. Park and S. H. Lee, "Analysis of Structure of Logistics Service Quality, Customer Satisfaction and Customer Loyalty", Collection of Papers of Korea Association of Industrial Business Administration, pp.1-28, 2005.
- D. O. Choi, "An Empirical Study on the Forwarder's Satisfaction to Service Quality", Journal of Korea Port Economic Association, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp.195-211, 2012.
- S. L. Han and S. H. Lee, "B-SERVQUAL: Development of Service Quality Scale for B2B Markets", Journal of Korean Marketing Association, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp.17-45, 2012.
- S. Gounaris, "Measuring Service Quality in B2B Services: an Evaluation of the SERVQUAL Scale vis-a-vis the INDSERV Scale", Journal of Services Marketing, Vol. 19, No. 6, pp.421-435, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1108/08876040510620193
- H. W. Shin, Y. R. Choi, Y. R. Shin, and K. I. Kim, "An Empirical Study on the Effects of the Determinants of Int'l Logistics Service Quality to Customer Reaction and Relationship", Journal of Maritime Business, Vol. 17, pp.103-135, 2010.
- J. J. Cronin, M. K. Brady, R. R. Brand, R. Hightower Jr, and D. J. Shemwell, "A Cross-sectional Test of the Effect and Conceptualization of Service Value", Journal of services Marketing, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp.375-391, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1108/08876049710187482
- R. Chumpitaz and N. G. Paparoidamis, "Service Quality and Marketing Performance in Business-to-business Markets: Exploring the Mediating Role of Client Satisfaction", Managing Service Quality: An International Journal, Vol. 14, No. 2/3, pp.235-248, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1108/09604520410528653
- Maeil Business Newspaper, "(Maekyung) Exporting and Importing Companies CD 2014"[Electronic Data], Seoul: Korea Contents Media, 2014.
- S. I. Chae, "Social Science Research Methodology", 3rd ed., BNM Books, p.393, 2013.
- J. J. Song, SPSS/AMOS, "Statistical Analysis Methods for Writing Theses", Revised 2nd ed., 21st Century Book Company, p.106, 2014.
- R. Deshpande, J. U. Farley, and F. E. Webster Jr, "Corporate Culture, Customer Orientation, and Innovativeness in Japanese Firms: a Quadrad Analysis", The journal of Marketing, pp.23-37, 1993.
- S. J. Yoon, J. W. Park, and D. C. Choi, "A Study of the Effects of Service Orientation on Business Performance of Medical Service Providers", Journal of Service Management Society, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp.135-155, 2004.