- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Typology Study of Corporation Patent Strategy Using Competing Value Model
경쟁가치모형에 따른 기업의 특허전략 유형화 연구
- Cha, Wan-Kyu (College of Law, Dankook University) ;
- Lee, Hwan-Soo (Dept. of Convergence Security, Dankook University)
- Received : 2017.03.20
- Accepted : 2017.08.20
- Published : 2017.08.28
Patent strategy research has focused on the efficiency of licensing for investigation, analysis and utilization of application management, product and development task in finding patent idea, to establish patent strategy linked with management strategy and technology strategy. However, it is difficult to find the research on patent strategy that reflects an adaptive culture to enhance the internalization and performance of the established strategy. As a result, companies have been striving to imitate patent strategies of advanced companies that do not consider their industry and organizational culture. This study proposes a method of defining a firm 's patent strategy according to the competing value model that analyzes organizational culture as four frameworks. This study verifies the classification method through case studies, suggests a suitable patent strategy for the patent strategy type. This study has contributions in that discussing from a new point of view based on organizational culture theory and providing a IP strategic model with high practicality.
Patent Strategy;Organization Culture;Competing Value Model;Patent Strategy Typology;Patent Utilization
- S. Chung, "Intellectual Property War: Korea's Patent Competitiveness and Response Strategy", SERI, 2005.
- Wan-Kyu. Cha, "A study on utilization of patent information for strengthening R&D activities of companies", Master Dissertation, University of Seoul, 2008.
- Tae-Ho. Lee, "An Explorative study on the patent-related activities in the process of technology development", Master Dissertation, KAIST, 1997.
- L. Berkowitz, "Getting the most from your patents", Research-Technology Management, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp.26-31, 1993.
- E. Gilardoni, "Basic approaches to patent strategy", International Journal of Innovation Management, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp.417-440, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1142/S1363919607001813
- M. A. Bader, O. Gassmann, N. Ziegler, & F. Ruther, "Getting the most out of your IP-patent management along its life cycle", Drug discovery today, Vol. 17, No. 7, pp.281-284. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drudis.2011.10.025
- M. E. Mogee, "Using Patent Data for Technology Analysis and Planning", Research-Technology Management, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp.43-49, 1991.
- O. Granstrand, "Strategic Management of Intellectual Property", CIM working paper, Charmers university of technology, 1999.
- H. Lee & S. H. Lee, "Diagnosis of Organizational Culture: Focused on Public Institutions", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp.9-16, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.3.9
- B. C. Choi & S. K. Lee, "A Study on the influence of the Transformational Dynamics of Venture to Organizational Commitment and Job Satisfaction at the Convergence age - Moderating Effect of the Position Type", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp.219-235, 2016.
- J. Hwang & K. Park, "The Impacts of Job Competency, Self-leadership and Organizational Culture on Job Performance: Focused on Agricultural Cooperative Federation", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp.193-207, 2014.
- L. Smircich, "Concepts of culture and organizational analysis", Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 28, pp.339-358, 1983. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392246
- C. D. Lee, "The causal relationship among strategy, organization culture, innovation", Korean Journal of Business Administration, Vol. 24, No. 6, pp.3441-3460, 2011.
- J. P. Kotter & J. L. Heskett, "Corporate culture and performance", New York: Free Press, 1992.
- W. Ouchi, "Theory Z: How American business can meet the Japanese challenge", Business Horizons, Vol. 24, No. 6, pp.82-83, 1981.
- D. R. Denison & A. K. Mishra, "Toward a theory of organizational culture and effectiveness", Organization science, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp.204-223, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.6.2.204
- S. K. Lee, D. J. Lee, S. R. Lee & J. K. Jung, "A Study on the Influence of R&D Organizational Culture to Organizational Commitment and Organizational Citizenship Behavior In Small and Medium Enterprises.", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp.101-115, 2009.
- M. J. Lee, J. S. Han & Y. M. Jang, "Convergence Study of The Effects of Nurses' Perceived Nursing Organization Culture and on Their Customer Orientation", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 11, pp.303-311, 2015.
- K. S. Cameron & R. E. Quinn, "Diagnosing and changing organizational culture: Based on the competing values framework", John Wiley &Sons, 2005.
- R. Parker & L. Bradley, "Organizational Culture in the Public Sector : evidence from six organizations", International Journal of Public Sector Management, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp.125-141, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1108/09513550010338773
- R. B. Cooper, "The inertial impact of culture on IT implementation", Information & Management, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp.17-31, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-7206(94)90099-X
- T. Yu & N. Wu, "A review of study on the competing values framework", International Journal of Business and Management, Vol. 4, No. 7, pp.37-42, 2009.
- R. E. Quinn, S. R. Faerman, M. P. Thompson, & M. R. McGrath, "Becoming a master manager: A competency framework", New York: Wiley, 2003.
- J. H. Kim, "IP strategy and technology strategy of P&G", Rubber Technology, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp.100-105, 2015.
- E. M. Lee, "Mobile IT patents for global IT companies", Information and communication broadcasting policy, Vol. 23, No. 19, pp.49-56, 2011.
- Y. K. Kim, S-T. Park & S-J. Lee, "A study on valuation factors of patent", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp.63-70, 2009.
- S. H. Ju, "The effect of mutual cooperation between the Patent applicants on the Technological Innovation in ICT", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 10, pp.83-93, 2016.