- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Development of a Diagnosis Manual to Evaluate the Pedestrian Safety in a Neighborhood Using the Mixed Research Method
혼합연구방법을 활용한 근린환경의 보행안전성 진단 매뉴얼 개발
- Kim, Jaecheol (Dept. of Urban Planning, Gachon University)
- 김재철 (가천대학교 도시계획학과)
- Received : 2017.06.12
- Accepted : 2017.08.20
- Published : 2017.08.28
This study is a descriptive and exploratory one aiming to develop a systematic/diagnostic manual that is necessary for the improvement of the pedestrian safety of a neighborhood and show the practical application and usefulness of the manual through a case study. The diagnostic manual developed on the basis of the previous research review adopted a mixed research method including three investigation tools of map/data analysis using secondary data, field observation by investigators, and resident survey interview. In the case study applying the manual to Changsin-dong, Seoul, the author analyzed the results of the three investigations in integrative ways and showed the usefulness of the manual by systematically deriving the places prone to pedestrian-vehicle accidents and the influencing factors. This study contributes to the practical field in that it provides planners with a systematic tool to diagnose the pedestrian safety in the neighborhood environment while it contributes to the academic field in that it provides the concrete process that empirically compares the differences between different environmental investigative methods and deduce integrative implication from them. In a follow-up study, the author plan to apply the diagnostic manual presented in this study to more cases and improve them to work in various contexts.
Neighborhood environment;Planning tool;Urban rehabilitation;Case study;Mixed methodology
- S. H. Oh and C. Y. Tchah, "How the Korean Urban Design Practice adopted the Western Urban Design Theories". Architecture and Urban Research Institute, 2011.
- A. Tashakkori and C. Teddlie, "Mixed methodology: Combining qualitative and quantitative approaches", Sage Publication, 1998.
- R. K. Yin, "Case Study Research: Design and Methods". 5th ed., Sage Publications, 2014.
- OneNYC: Mayor de Blasio Announces "Citi Summer Streets" this August, Supplemented tor First Time by New "Shared Streets" Event in Lower Manhattan, http://www1.nyc.gov/office-ofthe-mayor/news/539-16/onenyc-mayor-de-blasiociti-summer-streets-this-august-supplemented-tor-first-time-by, March 20, 2017
- E. Talen, "Charter of the New Urbanism", 2nd ed. McGraw-Hill Education, 2013.
- DOI: M. Southworth, "Designing the Walkable City", Journal of Urban Planning and Development, Vol. 131, No. 4, pp.246-257, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9488(2005)131:4(246) https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9488(2005)131:4(246)
- A. B. Jacobs, "Great Streets", MIT Press, 1995.
- M. E. Koltko-Rivera, "Rediscovering the Later Version of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs: Self-Transcendence and Opportunities for Theory, Research, and Unification", Review of General Psychology, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp.302-317, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1037/1089-26188.8.131.522
- DOI: E. Dumbaugh and R. Rae, "Safe Urban Form: Revisiting the Relationship between Community Design and Traffic Safety", Journal of the American Planning Association, Vol. 75, No. 3, pp.309-329, 2009. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0194436 0902950349 https://doi.org/10.1080/01944360902950349
- A. Loukaitou-Sideris, "Is It Safe to Walk? Neighborhood Safety and Security Considerations and Their Effects on Walking", CPL bibliography, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp.219-232, 2006.
- S. H. Oh and N. G. Jihee, "Pedestrian City: 12 Guidelines for Better Pedestrian Environment", Architecture and Urban Research Institute, 2011.
- C. Perry, "The Neighbourhood Unit", Routledge, 1998.
- Le Corbusier, Ville Contemporaine de Trois Millions d'Habitants Home page, http://www.fondationlecorbusier.fr/corbuweb/morpheus.aspx?sysId=13&IrisObjectId=6426&sysLanguage=en-en&itemPos=214&itemSort=en-en_sort_string1%20&itemCount=216&sysParentName=&sysParentId=65, August 23, 2016
- DOI: E. Ben-Joseph, "Changing the Residential Street Scene: Adapting the Shared Street (Woonerf) Concept to the Suburban Environment", Journal of the American Planning Association, Vol. 61, No. 4, pp.504-515, 1995. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01944369508975661 https://doi.org/10.1080/01944369508975661
- J. C. Kim, "Transitions from Theory to Practice in Urban Design Movements: Application of the Model-Prototype-Adaptation Framework to New Urbanist Neighborhood Development Practices", Journal of Architectural and Planning Research, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp.271-290, 2013.
- K. Tanaka, "Ottawa Pedestrian Safety Evaluation Tool", Conference and Exhibition of the Transportation Association of Canada-Transportation: Innovations & Opportunities, 2012.
- Transport of London, Walking Home page, https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/about-tfl/what-we-do/walking, July 1, 2017
- D. Farr, "Sustainable urbanism: Urban design with nature", John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
- B. S. Kim and W. H. Suh, "Current Practice of Walkability Assessment for Seniors and People with Disabilities", Transportation Technology and Policy, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp.58-65. 2015.
- DOI: S. G. Kim, "Walking Accident Characteristics and Walking Factors for Road Crossing of the Transportation Vulnerable in the Case of Yeosu", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 439-448, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.14400/JDC.2016.14.6.439 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.6.439
- DOI: S. B Kang and C. H. Kwon, "Development of Evaluation System and Importance analysis of U-safe City", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 11, pp.15-27, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.11.15 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.11.15
- J. K. Lee, Y. T. Son, S. J. Han, J. Y. Park and S. H. Lee, "Evaluation of Vehicle and Pedestrian Environments using Grey System Theory", Journal of Korean Society of Transportation, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp.141-156, 2010
- K. Lynch and G. Hack, "Site Planning". MITpress, 1984.
- C. Geertz, "Local Knowledge: Further Essays in Interpretive Anthropology", Basic Books, 2000.
- Seoul Metropolitan Government, "Community Revitalization Plan for Seoul Jongro-gu Urban Regeneration Priority Region", Seoul Metropolitan Government, 2015.
- Daum Online Map Service. http://map.daum.net/, May 10, 2014.
- Korea Road Traffic Authority. Traffic Accident Analysis System. http://taas.koroad.or.kr/, May 13, 2017.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, "Pedestrian Traffic Improvement Plan Manual", Korea Transportation Safety Authority, 2013.