- Volume 30 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Relationship between Early-onset Androgenetic Alopecia and Metabolic Syndrome: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
조발성 탈모증과 대사증후군과의 관계: 체계적 문헌고찰 및 메타분석
- Jang, Jin-Young (Balmer's Oriental Medicine Clinic) ;
- Yoon, Young-Joon (Balmer's Oriental Medicine Clinic)
- Received : 2017.07.07
- Accepted : 2017.08.02
- Published : 2017.08.25
Objectives : The study was done to verify the relation between early-onset androgenetic alopecia(AGA) and metabolic syndrome(MetS). Methods : Data were collected through electronic database including KoreaMed, National Assembly Library, KMBASE, NDSL, KCI, KERIS, Google Scholar, Pubmed, Cochrane CENTRAL and EBSCO MEDLINE. A total of 13 case-control studies related to the MetS of early-onset alopecia patients were used for the systematic review and meta-analysis. Risk of bias of included studies were assessed by RoBANS tool. RevMan5.3, CMA3 were used for the meta-analysis. Results : In 13 evaluated articles, most frequent bias was the participant selection bias that was found in 10 articles. Significant association between early-onset AGA and MetS was found in 10(76.9%) out of 13 articles in the systematic review. In meta-analysis, early-onset male AGA was associated with increased risk of metabolic syndrome(OR: 3.73, 95% CI:2.49 -5.61). Conclusions : AGA, particularly early -onset male AGA, is significantly associated with MetS. Therefore all patients with early onset male AGA should be suggested to take preventive treatment to reduce the risk of MetS and various problems associated with it.
- Choi GS. Hair characteristics and androgenetic alopecia in Koreans. J Korean Med Assoc. 2013;56(1):45-54. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2013.56.1.45
- Duskova M, Martin Hill M, Starka L. Changes of metabolic profile in men treated for androgenetic alopecia with 1 mg finasteride. Endocr regul. 2010;44(1):3-8. https://doi.org/10.4149/endo_2010_01_3
- DeFronzo RA, Ferrannini E. Insulin resistance. A multifaceted syndrome responsible for NIDDM, obesity, hypertension, dyslipidemia and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. Diabetes Care. 1991;14(3):173-94. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.14.3.173
- Lim S, Shin H, Song JH, Kwak SH, Kang SM, Won YJ, et al. Increasing prevalence of metabolic syndrome in Korea: the Korean national health and nutrition examination survey for 1998-2007. Diabetes Care. 2011;34(6):1323 -8. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc10-2109
- Yang YJ. The metabolic syndrome and sports medicine. J Korean Med Assoc. 2011;54(7):697-704. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2011.54.7.697
- Cotton SG, Nixon JM, Carpenter RG, Evans DW. Factors discriminating men with coronary heart disease from healthy controls. Br Heart J. 1972;34(5):458-64. https://doi.org/10.1136/hrt.34.5.458
- Alberti K, Zimmet P. Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Part 1 : Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus, provisional report of a WHO consultation. Diabet Med. 1998;15(7):539 -53. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9136(199807)15:7<539::AID-DIA668>3.0.CO;2-S
- Thakare SA, Singh A. Early onset male androgenetic alopecia and metabolic syndrome are they associated? Int J recent surg med sci. 2016;2(1):5-9.
- Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: The PRISMA statement. Ann Intern Med. 2009;151(4):264-9. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-151-4-200908180-00135
- Kim SY, Park JE, Lee YJ, Seo HJ, Sheen SS, Hahn SK, et al. NECA's guidance for undertaking systematic reviews and meta-analyses for intervention. National Evidence-based Healthcare Collaborating Agency. 2011.
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service. DAMI(study Design Algorithm for Medical literature of Intervention) & RoBANS(Risk of Bias Assessment tool for Non-randomized Study) version 2.0 by HIRA. 2013.
- Vaya A, Sarnago A, Ricart JM, Lopez V, Martínez-Triguero ML, Laiz B. Inflammtory markers and LP levels as cardiovascular risk factors in androgenetic alopecia. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2015;61(3):471-7.
- Ebling FJ, Rook A. Hair, Textbook of dermatology, 2nd ed. Blackwell Scientific Publications. 1972:1588.
- Norwood OT. Male pattern baldness: classification and incidence. South Med J. 1975;68(11):1359-65. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007611-197511000-00009
- Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults. Executive Summary of The Third Report of The National Cholesterol Education Program(NCEP)(Adult Treatment Panel III). JAMA. 2001;285(19):2486-97. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.285.19.2486
- Alberti KG, Zimmet P, Shaw J. Metabolic syndrome-a new world-wide definition. A Consensus Statement from the International Diabetes Federation. Diabet Med. 2006;23(5):469-80. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-5491.2006.01858.x
- World Health Organization, Regional Office for the Western Pacific, International Association for the Study of Obesity, International Obesity Task Force. The Asia-Pacific perspective: redefining obesity and its treatment. 2000. Available from:URL: http://www.wpro.who.int/nutrition/documents/Redefining_obesity/en/.
- Grundy SM, Cleeman JI, Daniels SR, Donato KA, Eckel RH, Costa F, et al. Diagnosis and mangement of the metabolic syndrome. An American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Scientific Statement. Circul. 2005;112(17):2735-52. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.105.169404
- Higgins JP, Thompson SG, Deeks JJ, Altman DG. Measuring inconsistency in metaanalyses. BMJ. 2003;327(7414):557-60. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.327.7414.557
- Alberti KG, Eckel RH, Grundy SM, Zimmet PZ, Cleeman JI, Donato KA, et al. Harmonizing the metabolic syndrome: a joint interim statement of the Interna -tional Diabetes Federation Task Force on Epidemiology and Prevention; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; American Heart Association; World Heart Federation; International Atherosclerosis Society; and International Association for the Study of Obesity. Circul. 2009;120(6):1640-5. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.109.192644
- Mumcuoglu C, Ekmekci TR, Ucak S. The investigation of insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome in male patients with early-onset androgenetic alopecia. EJD. 2011;21(1):79-82.
- Lee WS, Ro BI, Hong SP, Bak HN, Sim WY, Kim DW, et al. A new classification of pattern hair loss that is universal for men and women: basic and specific (BASP) classification. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2007;57(1):37-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2006.12.029
- Matilainen V, Koskela P, Keinanen-Kiukaanniemi S. Early androgenetic alopecia as a marker of insulin resistance. Lancet. 2000;356(9236):1165-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(00)02763-X
- Sadighha A, Zahed GM. Evaluation of lipid levels in androgenetic alopecia in comparison with control group. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2009;23(1):80-1. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-3083.2008.02704.x
- Trieu N, Eslick GD. Alopecia and its association with coronary heart disease and cardiovascular risk factors: A meta-analysis. Int J Cardiol. 2014;176:687-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2014.07.079
- Arias-Santiago S, Gutierrez-Salmeron MT, Castellote-Caballero L, Buendia -Eisman A, Naranjo-Sintes R. Male androgenetic alopecia and cardiovascular risk factors: A case-control study. Actas Dermosifiliogr. 2010;101(3):248-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ad.2009.10.002
- Hirsso P, Rajala U, Hiltunen L, Jokelainen J, Keinanen-Kiukaanniemi S, Nayha S. Obesity and low-grade inflammation among young Finnish men with early-onset alopecia. Dermatol. 2007;214(2):125-9. https://doi.org/10.1159/000098570
- Jang IW, Ko WS, Yoon HJ. The lattest trends of treatment for alopecia. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2015;28(4):12-28. https://doi.org/10.6114/jkood.2015.28.4.012
- WHO(World Health Organization). WHO Traditional Medicine Strategy 2014-2023, Geneva: WHO Press. 2013. Available from: URL:http://www.who.int/medicines/publications/traditional/trm_strategy14_23/en/.
- Min IK, Kim CH, Hwang JW, Park JY, Lee SY, Choi WW, et al. The Relation of Dampness-Phlegm and Metabolic Syndrome in Acute Stroke Patients. J Korean Oriental Med. 2009;30(1):109-19.
- Lee JW, Shin YR, Bae SH, Park SY, Choi SO, Kim KM, et al. A Clinical Study on Relevance between Classified Dampness-Phlegm Pattern of Metabolic Syndrome and Heart Rate Variability. Korean J Orient Int Med. 2012;33(3)284-97.
- Yoo JH, Na HY, Lee DE, Ahn SY, Ahn YM, Lee BC. A Case Report on the Effect of Short-term Intensive Fat Treatment on an Obese Patient with Metabolic Syndrome. J Int Korean Med. 2016;37(6):1051-8. https://doi.org/10.22246/jikm.2016.37.6.1051
- Jang WS. Approach of wasting-thirst on the risk factor of wind stroke through stroke and metabolic syndrome. J East- West med. 2012;37(2):1-4.
- Park ES. A Study for Effects of Metabolic Syndrome Care Program with Korean Medicine in Public Health Center. J Korean Med. 2014;35(1):135-44. https://doi.org/10.13048/jkm.14013
- Acibucu F, Kayatas M, Candan F. The association of insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome in early androgenetic alopecia. Singapore med j. 2010;51(12):931-6.
- Bakry OA, Shoeib MA, El Shafiee MK, Hassan A. Androgenetic alopecia, metabolic syndrome, and insulin resistance: Is there any association? A case-control study. Indian dermatol online j. 2014;5(3):276-81. https://doi.org/10.4103/2229-5178.137776
- Banger HS, Malhotra SK, Singh S, Mahajan M. Is early onset androgenic alopecia a marker of metabolic syndrome and carotid artery atherosclerosis in young indian male patients? Int j trichol. 2015;7(4):141-7. https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-7753.171566
- Chakrabarty S, Hariharan R, Gowda D, Suresh H. Association of premature androgenetic alopecia and metabolic syndrome in a young Indian population. Int j trichol. 2014;6(2):50-3. https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-7753.138586
- Ertas R, Orscelik O, Kartal D, Dogan A, Ertas SK, Aydogdu EG, et al. Androgenetic alopecia as an indicator of metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular risk. Blood pressure. 2016;25(3):141-8. https://doi.org/10.3109/08037051.2015.1111021
- Gonzalez-Gonzalez JG, Mancillas -Adame LG, Fernandez-Reyes M, Gomez -Flores M, Lavalle-Gonzalez FJ, Ocampo -Candiani J, et al. Androgenetic alopecia and insulin resistance in young men. Clinical endocrinology. 2009;71(4):494-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2265.2008.03508.x
- Gopinath H, Upadya GM. Metabolic syndrome in androgenic alopecia. Indian journal of dermatology, venereology and leprology. 2016;82(4):404-8. https://doi.org/10.4103/0378-6323.174421
- Pengsalae N, Tanglertsampan C, Phichawong T, Lee S. Association of early-onset androgenetic alopecia and metabolic syndrome in Thai men: a case-control study. J Med Assoc Thai. 2013;96(8):947-51.
- Swaroop MR, Manohara BK, Sathyanarayana BD, Yogesh D, Ragha -vendra JC. The association of insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome in early androgenetic alopecia in males: a case-control study. Indian J Clin Exp Dermatol. 2016;2(4):159-63.