- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Change of Calcium Carbonate Crystal Size at steady state in CMSMPR(Continuous Mixed Suspension Mixed Produce Removal) Crystallizer
연속식결정화기 정상상태에서 탄산칼슘 결정크기 변화
- Han, Hyun Kak (Department of Chemical Engineering, Soonchunhyang University)
- 한현각 (순천향대학교 나노화학공학과)
- Received : 2017.06.26
- Accepted : 2017.07.07
- Published : 2017.07.31
The controlled synthesis of inorganic materials with a specific size and morphology is an important factor in the development of new materials in many fields, such as nanoparticles, medicine, electronics, semiconductors, pharmaceutical sand cosmetics. Solution crystallization is one of the most widely used separation processes in the chemical and pharmaceutical industries. Calcium carbonate has attracted a great deal of attention in industry because of its numerous applications. The mean crystal size, crystal size distribution and morphology are important factors in the continuous crystallization process. In this study, the continuous crystallization of calcium carbonate by the calcium chloride process was investigated. The mean crystal size and crystal size distribution data were obtained by a particle size analyzer. The morphological imaging of the crystalswasper formed by SEM. Under steady state operation, the mean crystal size change was small, but increasing the input concentration and mixing rate increased the crystal size. In this operation, some aragonite was found, but the main crystal phase was calcite.
calcium carbonate;crystal size distribution;morphology;calcite;CMSMPR crystallizer
- Vacassy, R., J. Leaitre, H. Hofmann, J. H. Gerlings "Calcium Carbonate Precipitation Using New Segmented Flow Tubular Reactor," AIChE Journal., 46, 1241, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.690460616 https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.690460616
- Randolph, A. D., White, E. T. "Modeling size dispersion in the prediction of crystal-size distribution," Chemical Engineering Science, 32, 1067, 1977. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-2509(77)80144-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-2509(77)80144-9
- Hyun-Kak Han, Je-Sung Jeon, Mi-sun Kim, "Phase Change of Calcium Carbonate by Adding Polymers," Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 50, pp. 300-301, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.9713/kcer.2012.50.2.300 https://doi.org/10.9713/kcer.2012.50.2.300
- Hyun-Kak Han, Sae-ill Lee, "Influence of Organic Solvent for CSD in the Batch Precipitation," Korean J. Chem. Eng., 6, 1121, 2000.
- John L., Wray and Farrington D., "Precipitation of Calcite and Aragonite," JACS., 79, 2031, 1957. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/ja01566a001 https://doi.org/10.1021/ja01566a001
- Tae-Sup So, Hee-Kyu Choi, Woo-Sik Choi, "Effect of Experiment Factors on the Particle Size Distribution and Particle Shape of Synthetic Precipitated Calcium Carbonate(1): Effect of Slurry Concentration," Korean Chem. Eng., 5, 3097, 1999.
- Joo-Won Park, Joon-Seok Kim, Choon Han., "A Study on Characteristics of Precipitated Calcium Carbonate Prepared by the Nozzle Spouting Method," J. Korean Ind. Eng. Chem., 17, pp. 67-68, 2006.
- Kang-Seok Seo, Choon Han, Jung-Ho Wee, Jin-Koo Park, Ji-Whan Ahn, "Synthesis of calcium carbonate in a pure ethanol aqueous ethanol solution as the solvent," Crystal Growth., 276, pp. 680-681, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrysgro.2004.11.416 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrysgro.2004.11.416
- Wang-Mo Jung, Woo-Sik Kim, Tae-sung Jung, Chang-Kyun Choi, "Modeling on Bimodal Size Distribution of Calcium Carbonate Precipitated in MSMPR Reactor," Korean J. Chem. Eng., 7, 4761, 2001.
- Hyun-Kak Han, Je-Sung Jeon, "Thermodynamic Analysis in Morphology control of Calcium Carbonate," Soonchunhyang University Department of chemical Engineering, Mater's Thesis, 2010.
- Hyun-Kak Han, Seung-Hyun Juong, "Phase Change in Precipitated Calcium Carbonate by Mg2+ ion and K+ ion," Soonchunhyang University Department of chemical Engineering, Mater's Thesis, 2014.
- M. Vucak, M. N. Pons, J. Peric, H. Vivier, "Effect of precipitation conditions on the morphology of calcium carbonate: quantification of crystal shapes using image analysis," Powder Technology, 97, 1-2, 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-5910(97)03375-5 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-5910(97)03375-5
- Ho Ha, Seung-Soo Park, Hee-Cheol Lee, "Studies on the Preparation of Precipitated Calcium Carbonate(1): Formation and Transformation of Amorphous Calcium Carbonate," J. of Korean Ind. Eng, 3, pp. 522-526, 1992
- Alex N. Kulak, Peter Iddon, Yuting Li, Steven P. Armes, Helmut Colfen, Oskar Paris, Rory M. Wilson, Fiona C. Meldrum., "Continuous Structural Evolution of Calcium Carbonate Particles: A Unifying Model of Copolymer-Mediated Crystallization," J. AM. CHEM. SOC. 129, pp. 3733-3734, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/ja067422e https://doi.org/10.1021/ja067422e
- Bo-mi Kim, Jin-a Kim, Hyun-Kak Han, "Influence of Temperature and PAA(PolyAcrylic Acid) Solution in the Formation of Calcium Carbonate Crystal," Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 46, pp. 1055-1056, 2008.
- Clifford Y. Tai, Pao-Chi Chen, "Nucleation, agglomeration and crystal morphology of calcium carbonate", AIChE J., 41, 1, pp. 68-77, 1995. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.690410108 https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.690410108
- William A House, "Kinetics of crystallization of calcite from calcium bicarbonate solutions", J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans. I, 77, pp. 341-359, 1981. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/f19817700341 https://doi.org/10.1039/f19817700341