- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Localization Development for Korean Utility Helicopter's On-Board Inert Gas Generation System
한국형 기동헬기 불활성가스발생장치 국산화 개발
- Ahn, Jong-Moo (Defence Agency for Technology and Quality) ;
- Lee, Hee-Rang (Defence Agency for Technology and Quality) ;
- Kang, Tae-Woo (Defence Agency for Technology and Quality) ;
- Choi, Jae-Ho (Defence Agency for Technology and Quality)
- Received : 2017.05.19
- Accepted : 2017.07.07
- Published : 2017.07.31
Military rotary aircraft are heavily exposed to projectile environments due to their mission characteristics, and fires caused by fuel leaks after shooting are linked directly to the loss of human life. To improve the survivability of pilots and crews, the fuel tank in rotary aircraft must have gunfire resistance and anti-explosion characteristics. Gunfire resistance can be satisfied by applying a self-sealing cell to a fuel tank. Anti-explosion can be satisfied by reducing the oxygen concentration in an explosive area and suppressing the generation of combustible fuel vapor by minimizing the evaporation rate of the fuel by heat. A Korean utility helicopter applies anon-board inert gas generation system to meet the anti-explosion requirements for ballistic impact. The generator fills the fuel tank with an inert gas and reduces the oxygen concentration. This paper describes the overall development process of the OBIGGS developed in accordance with the localization process of weapon components. OBIGGS was developed/manufactured through domestic technology, and the performance was found to be equal to or better than that of the existing products through single performance tests and aircraft mounting tests.
Anti-Explosion;Korean Utility Helicopter;Localization Development;Nitrogen Enriched Air(NEA);On-Board Inert Gas Generation System(OBIGGS)
- Department for Communities and Local Government, Fire and Rescue Service Operational Gudiance-Aircraft Incidents, pp. 116-164, TSO(The Stationery Office), 2012.
- J. H. Kim, C. Y. Kim, J. J. Jang, M. Y. Lee, D. S. Shim, "Design Improvement of Vent System for Korean Utility Helicopter's Anti-Explosion fuel Tank", J. of The Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, vol. 45, no. 1 pp. 76-81, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2014.42.1.76 https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2014.42.1.76
- H. G. Kim, S. C. Kim, J. W. Lee, I. H. Hwang, J. W. Hue, D. W. Shin, T. K. Jung, B. G. Ha, "Assessment of Self-sealing Performance of the Fuel Tank of the Rotorcraft against Ginfire Projectiles", J. of The Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, vol. 38, no. 5 pp. 477-481, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2010.38.5.477 https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2010.38.5.477
- H. G. Kim, S. C. Kim, "Study on the Phase II Qualification Test for Fuel Cell of Rotorcraft", J. of The Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 14, no. 3 pp. 1054-1060, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.3.1054 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.3.1054
- S. K. Kim, "Investigation of means for protecting fuel tank explosion", J. of Aerospace Engineering and Technology, vol. 3, no. 1 pp. 272-276, 2004.
- Defense Acqusition Program Administration, Helocpoter,Utility, Korea Defence Standard KDC 1450-T4011, pp. 121, Defense Acquisition Program Administration, 2012.
- J. W. Seo, C. Y. Cho, S. R. Lee, Y. D. Choi, "Thermal Characteristics of a Primary Surface Heat Exchanger with Corrugated Channels", J. of Entropy, vol. 18, no. 1, 15, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/e18010015 https://doi.org/10.3390/e18010015
- J. F, RICHARDSON, J. H. HARKER, J. R. BACKHURST, Chemical Engineering, p.37-91, Butterworth-Heinemann, 2013.
- C. Hepburn, Polyurethane Elastomers, p.51-106, Springer Science & Business Media, 2012.
- Winston Ho, Kamalesh Sirkar, Membrane Handbook, p.25-53, Springer Science & Business Media, 2012.
- D. Y. OH, S. Y. HA, J. M. Lee, H. J. Kim, S. Y. Nam, "Developing Trend of Gas Separation Membrane for OBIGGS", Korea Industrial Chemistry News, vol. 13, no. 3 pp. 37-45, 2011.
- J. M. Lee, M. G. Lee, D. J. Kim, S. Y. Nam, "Characterization of Gas Permeation Properties of Polyimide Copolymer Membranes for OBIGGS", Membrane journal, vol. 24, no. 4 pp. 325-331, 2014. DOI:https://doi.org/10.14579/MEMBRANE_JOURNAL.2014.24.4.325 https://doi.org/10.14579/MEMBRANE_JOURNAL.2014.24.4.325