- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
An Exploratory Study of Education on Multicultural Understanding : Focusing on Elementary Schools
다문화이해교육의 실제와 발전방향에 관한 탐색적 연구 - 초등학교를 중심으로
- Cho, Hyoung-Sook (Department of ESOL Education, Seowon University) ;
- Lee, Yong-Jik (ESOL/Bilingual Education, the University of Florida) ;
- Lee, Kyung-Cheol (Department of Early Childhood Education, Seojeong College)
- Received : 2017.06.02
- Accepted : 2017.07.07
- Published : 2017.07.31
Due to globalization and the increasing number of international marriages, Korea has become a multicultural society. In 2012, the Korean Ministry of Education established guidelines for education on multicultural understanding for all K-12 students. The purpose of this study is to understand how education on multicultural understanding is conducted and to provide suggestions for improvements. Based on the six goals of multicultural curriculum in Bennett's conceptual model, this study explores how multicultural education specialists conduct their instructions and how they convey the value of multicultural understanding in public schools. Four multicultural education specialists were recruited, and various qualitative data were collected from pre- and post-interviews and classroom observations. The data were analyzed through thematic analysis. The study findings show that the participants educated elementary students by introducing their own (or spouse's) culture through their traditional clothes, food, and customs. This indicated that they focused mainly on developing multiple historical perspectives and strengthening intercultural competence. However, their current education on multicultural understanding may not help students to increase an awareness of the state of the planet and global dynamics, and to build social action skills. Finally, we suggest that multicultural education should be integrated and infused into national (regular) curricula so that all students can enhance their multicultural understanding.
Multicultuarl Education;Education on Multicultural Understanding;Multicultural Education Specialists;Multicultural Curriculum
- Y. K. Kim, A. J. Cho, H. M. Choi, J. Y. Lee, "Welfare Policies in Multicultural Era: for multicultural families", Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 2008.
- J. M. Hwang, "Multicultural Education without Multicultural Citizen -An Analysis of Policy Agenda for Multicultural Education in Korea", Discourse 201, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 93-123, 2010. https://doi.org/10.17789/discou.2010.13.2.004
- MyungHee Kim, "A Case Analysis and Policy Suggestion on International Marriage Migration of Vietnam from the Perspective of Social eproductio," Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 453-463, Aug. 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.08.57" https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.08.57
- Kwangsoo Kim, "A Quantitative Study on Acculturation of Female Immigrants by Marriage in Korea," Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 651-660, Jun. 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/ajmahs.2017.06.77 https://doi.org/10.14257/ajmahs.2017.06.77
- Rack-In Choi, "Aesthetics on Hallyu of Identity and Hybridity - focus on through Homi Bhabha's Hybridity Theory and Edward Said's Orientalism," Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 393-402, Dec. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.12.11 https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.12.11
- Ministry of the Interior, "2015 statistic on foreign residents", 2015, Available From: http://www.moi.go.kr/frt/bbs/type001/commonSelectBoar dArticle.do?bbsId=BBSMSTR_000000000014&nttId=46 327. (accessed Aug 5, 2016)
- Statistics Korea, "National Index System", 2015, Available From: http://www.index.go.kr/potal/main/Eac hDtlPageDetail.do?idx_cd=2819. (accessed Aug 5, 2016)
- Ministry of Education, "Statistics of 2015 educational database", 2015, Available From: http://www.moe.go.kr/web/100026/ko/board/view.do?bbsId=294&pageSize=10tPage=0&encodeYn=N&boa rdSeq=60423&mode=view. (accessed Aug 05, 2016)
- H. S. Kim, "Migrant Brides and Making of a Multicultural Society Sociological Approach to Recent Discourse on "Multicultural Korea", Korean Journal of Sociology, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 1-36, 2008.
- M. J. Kim, Y. J. Kim, J. A. Jung, "Korean adaptation experience family life in multicultural women", Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 155-163, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.06.07 https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.06.07
- J. H. Kang, J. S. Jeon, "Multicultural Education Experiences of Bilingual Teachers of the Primary School in Seoul and It's Implications", Korean Journal of Teacher Education, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 1-19, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14333/KJTE.2014.30.3.1 https://doi.org/10.14333/KJTE.2014.30.3.1
- S. R. Yoon, "Finding effective ways of teaching bilingual language education in elementary school", Multicultural Education Studies, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 75-102, 2012.
- Jia Chen, Hai-Ying Huang, Research trends of bilingual education for children from multicultural families : focused on foreigner parent's language education, Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 107-120, Oct. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.10.32 https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.10.32
- Soyoung Lee, Sangcheol Kwon, Seong Baeg Kim, Mi-Gyeung Yeum, The Global-Multicultural Education with an Interdisciplinary Approach through Exploratory Cases of Local-based Global and Multicultural Education, Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 885-895, Jan. 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2017.01.72 https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2017.01.72
- K. J. Kang, H. M. Byeon, "The Study of Curriculum Development for a Multicultural Service Professional", Center for multicultural Korea, 2010.
- K. J. Kang, "The Study of Curriculum Development for a Multicultural Service Professional", Korean Journal of Family Welfare, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 153-168, 2012.
- Haewon Byeon, Sung-Hyoun Cho, "The Factors that Affects the Experience of Depressive symptom in Children in Multi-cultural Families Using QUEST Algorithm", Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 67-76, Dec. 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.12.02 https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.12.02
- Heejin Lee, Jinhee Kim, "Multicultural Family Support Centers' Educational Condition from Cultural Diversity Perspective", Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 281-288, Jan. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.01.39 https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.01.39
- Jihye Lim, Bongsu Park, "Development of a Multicultural Program for Local Childcare Community", Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 263-270, Dec. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.12.53 https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.12.53
- O. H. Kwon, "Increasing Multicultural Acceptability through Multicultural Education Instructors", Multicultural Research and Practice, vol 4, pp. 1-20, 2012.
- Ministry of Education, "Educational innovation for education for multicultural students", 2012, Available From: http://www.moe.go.kr/web/100068/ko/board/view.do?bbsI d=343&boardSeq=28307&mode=view, (accessed Aug, 5, 2016)
- Y. R. Song, K. H. Bang, "Development and Effect Analysis of Creative Activity Program for Multicultural Comprehension Education in Elementary Schools", Journal of Korean Practical Arts Education, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 115-130, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17055/jpaer.2015.21.3.115 https://doi.org/10.17055/jpaer.2015.21.3.115
- S. S. Ahn, Y. S. Kim, K. H. Ma, H. Y. Moon, M. J. Lee, "The 2015 study on multicultural acceptability in Korea", The Ministry of Gender Equity & Family, 2015.
- Ministry of Gender Equity & Family, "Support for children in multicultural family policy", 2016, Available From: http://www.mogef.go.kr/korea/view/news/news03 _01.jsp?func=view&bid=24&idx=701815. (accessed Aug 5, 2016)
- Ministry of Gender Equity & Family, "To open Danuri, an online website for education on multicultural understanding", 2016, Available From: http://www.moe.go.kr/web/100026/ko/board/view.do?bbsId=294&pageSize=10tPage=0&encodeYn=N&boardSeq=60423&mode=view. (accessed Aug 5, 2016)
- J. A. Banks, "An introduction to multicultural education(4th edition)" University of Washington, 2008.
- C. Bennett, "Comprehensive multicultural education(6th edition). Boston: Pearson. 2007.
- C. E. Sleeter, C. Grant, "Making a choice for multicultural education: Five approaches to race, class, and gender", New York: Wiley. 2006.
- J. A. Banks, C. A. M. Banks (Eds.), "Multicultural education: Issues and perspective(7th edition)" pp. 233-258, Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2010.
- F. Erickson, "Culture in society and in educational practices", In J. A. Banks, C. A. M. Banks (Eds.), "Multicultural education: Issues and perspective(7th edition)", pp. 33-58, Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2009.