- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Relationship between Emotional Labor Status and Depression in Dental Hygienists
치과위생사의 감정노동 실태와 우울에 미치는 영향
- Choi, Yoon-Kyeong (Graduate School of Public Health, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kim, Keon-Yeop (Graduate School of Public Health, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kim, Myeong-Seon (Department of Public Health, Graduate School of Kyungpook National University) ;
- Moon, Bo-Ae (Department of Public Health, Graduate School of Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kim, Kwang-Hwan (Department of Management Konyang University)
- 최윤경 (경북대학교 보건대학원) ;
- 김건엽 (경북대학교 보건대학원) ;
- 김명선 (경북대학교 대학원 보건학과) ;
- 문보애 (경북대학교 대학원 보건학과) ;
- 김광환 (건양대학교 병원경영학과)
- Received : 2017.05.01
- Accepted : 2017.07.07
- Published : 2017.07.31
This study examines the relationship between emotional labor and depression in dental hygienists. Data were collected from 186 dental hygienists working in dental clinics in Daegu from early March to early April 2016. The survey was composed of questionnaires related to general characteristics, work-related characteristics, emotional labor, and depression. As a result of analyzing the subordinate factors of emotional labor, 57.0% of the factors of 'organization support and protection system' were the highest, and the effect of emotional labor on depression was 'emotionaldisharmony and damage', 'Organizational support and protection system', and especially, the ' emotionaldisharmany and damage' factors were 4.042 times higher than normal. The dental hygienist's degree of emotional labor risk is high, and education, prevention and management measures for emotional labor will be prepared. In addition, emotional labor affects the depression of dental hygienists as well, and comprehensive mental health measures are needed to take into consideration general and occupational characteristics that affect depression.
- S. E. Heo, J. H. Jae, Mediating effects of exhaustion on job stress and turnover intention of dental hygienist, Journal of Korean Health Association, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 35-55, 2010.
- H. Lee, M. S. Kim, J. A. Yoon, The role of internal marketing, organizational commitment, and job stress in discriminating turnover intention of Korean nurses. Japan Journal of Nursing science, vol. 8. no. 1, pp. 87-94, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-7924.2010.00162.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-7924.2010.00162.x
- P. K. Adelmann, Emotional labor as a potential source of job stress. In S. L. Sauter & L. R. Murphy (Eds.), Organizational risk factors for job stress. Washington, DC, American Psychological Association, pp. 371-381, 1995. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/10173-023 https://doi.org/10.1037/10173-023
- D. W. Baeg, Y. H. Yeom, The effect of social support and emotional intelligence on the relationship between emotional labor and exhaustion of clinical nurses, Korean Journal of Nursing Administration, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 271-280, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.3.271 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.3.271
- S. Y. Han, The Relationship between Job Stress and Depression of Some Dental Hygienists in the D City, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 3487-3493, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.11.3487
- Brotheridge, C. M., Grandy, A. A., Emotional Labor and Burnout: Comparing Two Perspectives of "People Work", Journal of vocational behavior, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 17-38, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2001.1815 https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2001.1815
- Grandy, A. A., When "the show must go on": Surface acting and deep acting as determinants of emotional exhaustion and peer-rated service delivery, Academy of Management Journal, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 86-96, 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/30040678 https://doi.org/10.2307/30040678
- S. Y. Kim, S. J. Jang, H. L. Kim, J. H. Noh, Emotional Labor and Depression Levels of Service Workers, Korean Journal of Industrial Science, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 227-235, 2002.
- . J. Jang, H. T. kang, S. Y. Kim, I. A. Kim, H. L. Kim, H. S. Kim, H. C. Kim, S. G. Park, H. S. song, J. H. Yun, Y. J. Lee, C. G. Lee, J. J. Jung, E. H. Choi, J. G. Tag, A Study on Application of Korean Emotional Labor and Violence Investigation Tool, Safety and Health Industrial Safety and Health Research Institute Research Report, 2014.
- S. Y. Han, Y. C. Cho, Covariance Structure Analysis on the Impact of Job Stress, Fatigue Symptoms and Job Satisfaction on Turnover Intention among Dental Hygienists, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 629-640, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.201617.7.629 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.201617.7.629
- M. S. Choi, D. H. Ji, The comparative study on changes in job satisfaction and turnover intention according to the convergence mediating factors and the level of emotional labor in dental hygienists. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 27-34. 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.027 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.027
- D. H. Hwang, S. Eom. The Convergence Influence of Emotional Labor of Clinical dental hygienist working on job stress. -Focused on Mediating Effects of self Esteem-. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 67-74. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.6.067 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.6.067
- Spirzer RL, Kroenke K, Williams JB, Validation an dutilityofa self-report version of PRIME-MD:the PHQ primary care study. Primary Care Evaluation of Mental Disorders, Patient Health Questionnaire. Journal of American Medical Association, vol. 282, pp. 1737-1744, 1999. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.282.18.1737 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.282.18.1737
- C. S. Han, S. Y. Yoon, J. H. Lim, Rating Scales for Measurement-Based Clinical Practice of Depression, Journal of the Korean Psychopharmacological Society, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 136-146, 2012.
- C. H. Han, Emotional Labor, Workplace Violence and Depression in Hotel Employees, Catholic University, 2015.
- B. I. Lee, Health Model of Employment Workers, Seoul National University, 2006.
- Y. C. Cho, Emotional Labor and Depression of Call Center Counselors and Presence, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 4086 - 4097, 2015. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.5.4086 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.5.4086
- H. J. Kim, Impact of Emotional Labor on Depression in Service Women Workers, Yonsei University, 2014.
- K. O. Kim, Y, C, Cho, The Relations between Emotional Labour and Depressive Symptoms Among Nurses in University Hospitals, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 3794-3803, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org.10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.8.3794 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.8.3794
- S. Y. Kim, S. J. Chang, H. R. Kim, J. H. Goh, A Study on the Relationship between Emotional Labor and Depressive Symptoms among Korean Industrial Service Employees, Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 14, no. 3, pp 227-235, 2002.
- H. L. Jeong, K. H. Lim, Effects of Emergency Department Nurses' Emotional Labor on Professional Quality of Life -Focusing on Mediating Effects of Emotional Dissonance-, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 491-506, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.11.491 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.11.491
- H. J. Lim, K. S. Park, H. J. Ban, N. R. Lee, Y. M. Lee, E. S. Lee, J. W, Jun, S. I. Ha, The Infiuence of Emotional Labor and Social Support on Burnout of Clinical Nurses. Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 15, no. 1, pp 255-266, 2017. DOI: http://doi.org/10.14400/jdc.2017.15.1.255 https://doi.org/10.14400/jdc.2017.15.1.255
- Y. B. Song, T. Y. Lee, Relationships of Emotional Labor, Job Satisfaction and Burnout among Medical Technologists in a University Hospital, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 5140-5149, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.8.5140 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.8.5140