- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting the Depression of Elementary School Teachers
초등교사의 우울에 미치는 영향요인
- Lee, Sung-Ok (Department of Nursing, Kongju National University) ;
- Lee, Sun-Mi (Guisan Elementary School)
- Received : 2017.06.26
- Accepted : 2017.07.07
- Published : 2017.07.31
This study was conducted to investigate the factors affecting depression in elementary school teachers. The research design was a descriptive study. Methods:Data were collected by questionnaires from 283 elementary school teachers. Data were analyzed using a t-test, ANOVA, a
Burnout;Depress;Ego-resiliency;Job Satisfaction;Job Stress
- A. Hargreaves, Teaching in a box : Emotional geographies if teaching. In C. Surgue & C. Day(Eds), Developing teacher and teaching practice: International research perspectives. pp.3-25, Routledge Falmer Press, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203166185_chapter_1 https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203166185_chapter_1
- K. H. Lee, H.Y. Jung, "Relations of school organizational climate and teachers' job stresses", Journal of Fisheries and Marine Sciences Education, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 121-133, 2009.
- M. K. Song, N. M. Yang, "Development and validation of korean elementary school teachers burnout scale", Korean Journal of Counseling, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 195-214, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.16.3.201506.195 https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.16.3.201506.195
- J. Y. Lee, "The Effect of perfectionism on burnout in the elementary school teachers: Moderating Effect of Negative Mood Regulation Expectancies", Korean Journal of Child Education, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 45-59, 2011.
- R. L. Schwab, S. E. Jackson, R. S. Schuler, "Educator burnout: Source and Consequences", Educational Research Quarterly, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 14-30, 1986.
- H. J. Shin, H. K. Noh, Y. J. Jang, Y. M. Park, S. M. Lee, "A longitudinal examination of the relationship between teacher burnout and depression", Journal of Employment Counselling, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 124-137, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/j.2161-1920.2013.00031.x https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2161-1920.2013.00031.x
- C. Kyriacou, "Teacher stress: Directions for future research", Educational Review, vol. 53, pp. 27-35, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00131910120033628 https://doi.org/10.1080/00131910120033628
- H. J. Park, B. W. Kim, "The relationship between adult attachment styles, resilient and burnout of counselors", The Korean Journal of Counselling and Psychotherapy, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 33-52, 2010.
- C. Maslach, W. B. Schaufeli, M. P Leiter, "Job burnout. Annual Review of Psychology", vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 397-422, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.52.1.397 https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.52.1.397
- S. H. Yoon, J. Y. Bae, S. W. Lee, K. E. An, S. E. Kim, "The effects of job stress on depression, drinking and smoking among Korean men", Health and Social Science. vol. 19, pp. 31-50, 2006.
- H. K. Chang, K. H. Kang, "Middle school teachers' schooling culture and job satisfaction", Journal of Fisheries and Marine Sciences Education, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1-10, 2006.
- Y. Park, J. H. Yang, "The effect of collaborative mental health promotion program on the depressive tendencies, well- being, and happiness of early childhood teachers with depression". The Journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 265-300, 2013.
- H. W. Jeong, "Influences of sociodemographic factors, school organizational factors, and sociopsychological factors on teachers job satisfaction", Journal of Educational Studies, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 75-96, 2006.
- A. T. Beck, Depression: Clinical, experimental and theoretical aspects, Univ. of Pennsylvania Press, 1967.
- Y. H. Lee, J. Y. Song, "A study of the reliability and the validity of the BDI, SDS, and MMPI-D scales", The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 98-113, 1995.
- C. Maslach, S. E. Jackson, "The measurement of experienced burnout. Journal of Occupational Behavior", vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 99-113, 1981. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030020205 https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030020205
- J. A. Kang, "The Effects of elementary school homeroom teachers' burnout on students' school life adjustment and academic self-efficacy", Unpublished master's thesis, Hannam University, Daejeon, 2010.
- D. F. Parker, T. A. DeCotiis, "Organizational determinants of job stress", Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, vol. 32, pp. 160-177, 1983. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(83)90145-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(83)90145-9
- R. A. Seok, "Study on the relations between teachers' emotional labor, job stress, and burnout" Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, 2014.
- B. J. Min, "Influence of job embeddedness and job stress on the elementary school teachers' burnout mediated by job attitude", Unpublished doctorial dissertation, Yeungnam University, Gyeongsan, 2014.
- E. C. Klohnen, "Conceptual analysis and measurement of the construct ego-resiliency", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 1067-1079, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.527 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2067
- K. Y. Lee, "Adult attachment of elementary school teacher and mediated effect of teacher's ego-resilience in the relationship between teacher and student", Unpublished master's thesis, Gyeongin National University of Education, Incheon, 2015.
- Y. N. Yi, "A Study on Depression Coping Behavior and Internal-External Locus of Control According to Levels of Depression in Elementary School Teacher", Unpublished master's thesis, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, 1999.
- C. K. Park, J. R. Lee, "Analysis of factors affecting the change of depression of Korean adult male an female", Health and Social Science, vol. 29, pp. 99-128, 2011.
- N. S. Kim, J. W. Lee, "The effect of children teachers' depression and strategies for coping with stress on self-esteem", Journal of Educational Studies, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 133-151, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15854/jes.2016.06.47.2.133 https://doi.org/10.15854/jes.2016.06.47.2.133
- B. R. Kim, Y. S. Park, "The moderating effect of teachers' stress management in relation to work environment with job engagement and burnout respectively", The Korean Journal of Stress Research, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 199-208, 2012.
- I. S. Lee, J. H. Oh, "The stress, depression, quality of life and relating factors in teachers", Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 3193-3205, 2010.
- K. H. Hong, H. K. Jeong, "Effect of preschool teacher's job stress and depression on burnout : focusing on the moderating effect of depression", Journal of Korean Association of Childcare & Education, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 263-280, 2013.
- H. K. Lee, C. Y. Nam, "The effect of job stress depression and psychological happiness on job satisfaction of office workers", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 490-498, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.4.490 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.4.490
- K. M. Koh, S. K. Lee, "A structural model analysis on the relation among the social support for child care teachers within and outside workplace, ego-resilience, and psychological well-being", Journal of Early Childhood Education & Educare Welfare, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 225-250, 2016.