- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Correlation among Nurses' Educational Status, Knowledge and Disaster Preparedness Abilities
종합병원 간호사의 재난대처교육, 지식, 재난대처능력간 상관관계
- Received : 2017.04.25
- Accepted : 2017.07.07
- Published : 2017.07.31
The purpose of this study is to define the relationships among awareness about the necessity of disaster preparedness education, the actual educational status, preparedness knowledge, and the certainty of knowledge among nurses. The study participants comprised a total of 125 nurses with over 3 months of clinical experience in general hospitals with more than 100 beds in a metropolitan city. Data were collected in January 2016 and analyzed by descriptive statistics, a t-test, ANOVA, and Pearson correlation coefficients. The results showed meaningful correlations between the existence of educational programs in hospitals and disaster preparedness abilities (r=.29, p=.001). There were also meaningful correlations between educational experience within a year and disaster preparedness abilities (r=.33, p<.001). There was a negative relationship between disaster preparedness abilities and knowledge (r=-.27, p=.003) and a positive relationship with confidence about the correctness of knowledge(r=.23, p=.003). Based on the results, an educational program in a clinical setting is needed to improve the degree of confidence about the correctness of knowledge and ultimately to enhance disaster preparedness abilities.
Abilities;Disaster;Disaster preparedness;Educational status;Knowledge
- United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Risk. The Pocket GAR 2015 Making Development Sustainable: The Future of Disaster Risk Management. Available at http://www.preventionweb.net/english/hyogo/gar/2015/en/ home/GAR_pocket/Pocket%20GAR_3.html. [accessed on 15 Jun 2016]
- K. S. Lim, S. H. Hwang, M. Y. Ahn, H. C. Ahn, "Disaster medicine", Gunja Publisher, pp. 10-19, 2009.
- National Law Information Center. Infectious disease prevention, 2014. Available at http://www.law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=152012#0000 [accessed on 18 June 2016].
- Healthcare policy team. Plan for the disaster-related medical support system construction and implementation. Seoul; Seoul City Hall, pp. 3-5, 2012.
- O. C. Lee, S. Wang, "Exploration on disaster nursing education in Korea", Journal of the Korea Society of Disaster Information, vol.4, no2, pp. 94-104, 2008.
- O. W. Fung, A. Y. Loke, C. K. Lai, "Disaster preparedness among Hong Kong nurses", Journal of Advanced Nursing. vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 698-703, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2008.04655.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2008.04655.x
- M. M. Pattillo, T. M. O'Day, "Disaster response; the university of Texas school of nursing experience", Nursing and Health Sciences, vol. 11, no, 4, pp. 378-381, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2018.2009.00500.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2018.2009.00500.x
- N. Subbiah, "Workshop on 'role of nurses in disaster preparedness and management", The Nursing Journal of India, vol. 96, no. 7, pp. 151-152, 2005.
- E. F. Bond, R. Beaten, "Disaster nursing curriculum development based on vulnerability assessment in the Pacific Northwest", Nursing Clinics of North America, vol. 40, pp. 441-451, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cnur.2005.04.010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cnur.2005.04.010
- D. W. Han, "Education and training for empowering disaster volunteers", International Conference on Crisis and Emergency Management. vol. 2007, no. 1, pp. 100-124, 2007.
- H. Y. Park, "Factors influencing the disaster nursing core competencies of emergency room nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Gacheon University, 2015.
- S. K. Lee, "The knowledge and awareness of disaster preparedness among nursing in emergency department", Unpublished master's thesis, Ulsan University, Ulsan, 2014.
- Y. J. Park, E. J. Lee, "A study on ego-resilience, disaster-experience and core competencies among emergency room nurses", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 67-79, 2015.
- M. Chiu, B. J. Polivka, S. A. Stanley, "Evaluation of a disaster-surge training for public health nurses", Public Health Nursing, vol.29, no. 2, pp. 136-142, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1446.2011.00984.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1446.2011.00984.x.
- Y. Luo, L. Liu, W. Q. Huang, Y. N. Yang, J. Deng, C. H. Yin, et al, "A disaster response and management competency mapping of community nurses in China", Iranian Journal of Public Health, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 941-949, 2013.
- L. Walsh, I. Subbarao, K. M. Gebbie, K. W. Schor, J. Lyznicki, K. Strauss-Riggs, et al, "Core competencies for disaster medicine and public health", Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 44-52, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1001/dmp.2012.4 https://doi.org/10.1001/dmp.2012.4
- E. K. Ahn, S. K. Kim, "Disaster experience, perception and core competencies on disaster nursing of nursing students", Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 257-267, 2013.
- D. F. Polit, "Data analysis and statistics for nursing research(1st edition)", Saratoga Springs, NY; Pearson Education, pp. 238-239, 1996.
- H. J. Kim, J. Huh, "SPSS 21.0 statistical analysis and explanation", Seoul; Top books, 2013.
- J. Y. Noh, "Nurse's perception and core competencies on disaster nursing", Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University Seoul, 2010.
- Z. Zhiheng, W. W. Caixia, W. Jiaji, Y. Huajie, W. Chao, L. Wannian, "The knowledge, attitude and behavior about public health emergencies and the response capacity of primary care medical staffs of Guangdong Province, China", BioMed Health Service Research, vol.12, pp. 338, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-12-338 https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-12-338
- H. J. Kim, "A Study on Disaster Preparedness, Core Competencies and Educational Needs on Disaster Nursing of Nursing Students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 7447-7455, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7447 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7447
- K. H. Kang, D. C. Uhm, E. S. Nam, "A study on disaster experience and preparedness of University Students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 424-435, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.3.424 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.3.424
- M. R. Yu, S. Y. Lee, Y. M. Jung, H. J. Yeon, "The development of simulation-oriented educational program for disaster nursing", Journal of Military Nursing Research, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 99-128, 2007.
- H. Guclu, S. Kumar, D. Galloway, M. Krauland, R. Sood, A. Bocour, et al, "An agent-based model for addressing the impact of a disaster on access to primary care services", Disaster Medicine Public Health Preparedness, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 386-393, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/dmp.2016.44 https://doi.org/10.1017/dmp.2016.44
- A. Rüter, L. Kurlan, D. Gryth, J. Murphy, M. Rådestad, A. Djalali, "Evaluation of disaster preparedness based on simulation exercises: a comparison of two models", Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 544-548, 2016. DOI; https://doi.org/10.1017/dmp.2015.176 https://doi.org/10.1017/dmp.2015.176
- E. G. Ann, K. Keum, S. Y. Choi, "A study on the disaster preparedness of nurses in some Korean regional emergency medical centers", Journal of Military Nursing, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 94-109, 2011.
- Korea Armed Forces Nursing Academy. Disaster Nursing Training Course; 2008. Available at http://www.afna.ac.kr/user/indexSub.action?codyMenuSeq=46400&siteId=dnec&menuUIType=sub [accessed on 18 June 2916].
- D. Markenson, S. Woolf, I. Redlener, M. Reilly, "Disaster medicine and public health preparedness of health professions students: a multidisciplinary assessment of knowledge, confidence, and attitudes", Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 499-506, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/dmp.2013.96 https://doi.org/10.1017/dmp.2013.96
- B. O Simonsen, I. Johansson, G. K Daehlin, L. M. Osvik, P. G. Faru, "Medication knowledge, certainty, and risk of errors in health care: A cross-sectional study", BMC Health Service Research, vol. 11, pp. 175, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-11-175 https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-11-175
- R. Elgie, R. Sapien, L. Fullerton, B. Moore, "School nurse online emergency preparedness training: an analysis of knowledge, skills and confidence", Journal of School Nursing. vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 358-376, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1059840510372090 https://doi.org/10.1177/1059840510372090