- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Informational Diversity-Sensitive Orientation on Employee Attitudes : The Moderating Effects of Supervisory Communication & Co-Worker Communication
정보다양성 수용 정도가 종업원 태도에 미치는 영향 : 상사소통 및 동료소통의 조절효과
- Jeong, Hyeon-Dal (School of Business Administration, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Baek, Yoon-Jung (School of Business Administration, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2017.06.15
- Accepted : 2017.07.07
- Published : 2017.07.31
The purpose of this study is to investigate the effects of informational diversity-sensitive orientation on employee attitudes, focusing on the moderating effects of communication. Recently, diversity within organizations has intensified and the importance of diversity management within organizations is increasing. Diversity studies have focused on the variance of objective diversity characteristics, and have provided mixed results. In order to overcome limitations in the research, this study focuses on members' perception of diversity. To this end, the variable of informational diversity-sensitive orientation(IDSO) was used. Sample data is derived from 301 surveys of employees in firms located in South Korea. Results show that informational diversity-sensitive orientation(IDSO) had a positive effect on job satisfaction and organizational commitment. Regarding the moderating effect of communication, a positive moderating effect was exhibited only in co-worker communication, and differential influence derived from communication type. Based on the analysis results, we discuss research implications and directions for future research.
Co-Worker Communication;Employee Attitudes;Informational Diversity-Sensitive Orientation;Job-Satisfaction;Supervisory-Communication
- H. J. Bin, J. H. Song, "December 2016 and the year", Statistics Korea, http://kostat.go.kr, 2017, 04.
- Y. M. Lee, J. Y. Lim, "Identifying the Determinant Factors Influencing University Graduates' Entrance To Graduate Schools", Journal of Employment and Skills Development, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 233-258, 2011.
- S. H. Bang, "2016 Human Resource Plan for the Public Institution", Ministry of Strategy and Finance, http://www.mosf.go.kr, 2017, 03.
- A. A. Cannella, J. Park, H. Lee, "Top management team functional background diversity and firm performance: Examining the roles of team member collocation and environmental uncertainty", Academy of Management Journal, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 768-784, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5465/AMR.2008.33665310 https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.2008.33665310
- D. R. Lee, T. Y. Kim, "A Study on the Effects of Functional Diversity on Team Creativity: The Mediating Role of Team Intrinsic Motivation and the Moderating Role of Task Interdependence", Korean Academic Society Of Business Administration, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 1211-1239, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17287/kmr.2015.44.5.1211 https://doi.org/10.17287/kmr.2015.44.5.1211
- S. M. B. Thatcher, & P. C. Patel, "Demographic faultlines: A meta-analysis of the literature", Journal of Applied Psychology, vol. 96, no. 6, pp. 1119-1139, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0024167 https://doi.org/10.1037/a0024167
- K. Y. Williams, C. A. O'Reilly, "Demography and diversity in organizations: A review of 40 years of research", Research in Organizational Behavior, 20, pp. 77-140, 1998.
- S. K. Horwitz, I. B. Horwitz, "The effects of team diversity on team outcomes: A meta-analytic review of team demography", Journal of Management, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 987-1015, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0149206307308587 https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206307308587
- R. J. Ely, "A field study of group diversity, participation in diversity education programs, and performance", Journal of Organization Behavior, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 755-780, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/job.268 https://doi.org/10.1002/job.268
- G. S. Van der vert, E. Vliert, & X. Huang, "Location-level links between diversity and innovative climate depend on national power distance", Academy of Management Journal, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 1171-1182, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2005.19573116 https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2005.19573116
- A. Joshi, & H. T. Roh, "The role of context in work team diversity research: A meta-analytic review", Academy of Management Journal, vol. 52, no. 3, 599-627, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2009.41331491 https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2009.41331491
- L. H. Pelled, K. M. Eisenhard, K. R. Xin, "Exploring the black box: An analysis of work group diversity, conflict, and performance", Administrative Science Quarterly, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 1-28, 1999. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/2667029 https://doi.org/10.2307/2667029
- K. A. Jehn, "A multimethod examination of the benefits and detriments of intragroup conflict", Administrative Science Quarterly, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 256-282, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2393638 https://doi.org/10.2307/2393638
- F. J. Milliken, L. L. Martins, "Searching for common threads: Understanding the multiple effects of diversity in organizational groups", Academy of Management Review, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 402-433, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1996.9605060217 https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1996.9605060217
- D. A. Harrison, K. H. Price, J. H. Gavin, A. T. Florey, "Beyond relational demography: Time and the effects of surface- and deep-level diversity on work group cohesion", Academy of Management Journal, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 96-107, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/256901 https://doi.org/10.2307/256901
- Y. J. Ryou, H. T. Roh, "Is Dissimilarity Always Detrimental? A Meta-Analytic Test of the Effects of Relational Demography on Job Performance", Korean Journal of Management, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 69-100, 2016.
- A. C. Homan, L. L. Greer, K. A. Jehn, L. Koning, "Believing shapes seeing: The impact of diversity beliefs on the construal of group composition", Group Processes & Intergroup Relations, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 477-493, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1368430209350747 https://doi.org/10.1177/1368430209350747
- H. D. Jeong, Y. J. Baek, E. S. Kim, "The effect of diversity sensitive orientation on organizational commitment", Journal of Human Resource Management Research, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 87-106, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14396/jhrmr.2015.22.2.87 https://doi.org/10.14396/jhrmr.2015.22.2.87
- S. H. Sung, "Diversity in Korean firms : an exploratory study on diversity management strategy, HR practices, diversity sensitive orientation, and firm performance", Doctoral Thesis, Yonsei University, 2005.
- H. S. Lee, "The impact of university students' openness to diversity on creativity", Doctoral Thesis, Chung-Ang University, 2014.
- J. E. Lee, "The influence of diversity sensitive orientation and managing diversity upon the outcome of human resource management", Master's Thesis, Chung-Ang University, 2012.
- H. S. Shin, "Development of Communication Skill Focused on Case Studies about "Communication and Negotiation class" for a Settlement of Social Conflict", Ratio et Oratio, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 111-153, 2009.
- E. Y. Yu, B. H. Chang, S. H. Nam, "A study on the effects of organizational communication satisfaction on job satisfaction, organizational commitment, customer orientation", Speech & Communication, 12, pp. 68-105, 2009.
- K. H. Dansky, R. Weech-Maldonado, G. De Souza, & J. L. Dreachslin, Organizational strategy and diversity management: Diversity-sensitive orientation as a moderating influence??, Health Care Management Review, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 243-253, 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/00004010-200307000-00005 https://doi.org/10.1097/00004010-200307000-00005
- M. Shemla, B. Meyer, L, Greer, & K. A. Jehn, "A review of perceived diversity in teams: Does how members perceive their team??s composition affect team processes and outcomes?", Journal of Organizational Behavior, 37, pp. S89-S106, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/job.1957 https://doi.org/10.1002/job.1957
- D. Van Knippenberg, C. K. W. De Dreu, A. C. Homan, "Work group diversity and group performance: An integrative model and research agenda", Journal of Applied Psychology, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 1008-1022. 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.89.6.1008 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.89.6.1008
- D. G. Ancona, D. F. Caldwell, "Demography and design: Predictors of new product team performance", Organization Science, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 321-341, 1992. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.3.3.321 https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.3.3.321
- C. K. W. De Dreu, M. A. West, "Minority dissent and team innovation: The importance of participation in decision making", Journal of Applied Psychology, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 1119-1201, 2001.
- M. R. Kim, "A study on mediating effects of diversity sensitive orientation on knowledge management activities and innovative work behavior", Master's Thesis, Chung-Ang University, 2013.
- J. H. Yun, H. C. Shin, "The Effects of Perception Levels of Diversity on Team Performance: Moderating Effects of Conflict", Journal of Korean Society for Quality Management, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 289-300, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7469/JKSQM.2013.41.2.289 https://doi.org/10.7469/JKSQM.2013.41.2.289
- C. H. Lim, Organizational behavior(5th), B&M Books, 2013.
- C. K. Lee, & S. R. Choi, "The effect of organizational structure and job characteristics on organizational efficiency", Korean Institute of Public Affairs, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 65-88, 2012.
- G. G. Cho, "The effect of hotel employees' communication satisfaction on job engagement", Journal of Foodservice Management Society of Korea, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 367-389, 2016.
- C. M. Han, "A study on career development plan of global enterprise affecting organizational effectiveness and organizational trust", Doctoral Thesis, Kyunghee University, 2010.
- B. H. Mueller, J. Lee, "Leader-member exchange and organizational communication satisfaction in multiple contexts", International Journal of Business Communication, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 220-244, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/002194360203900204 https://doi.org/10.1177/002194360203900204
- B. R. Bae, Structural equation modeling with Amos 21, CHUNGRAM Publishing, 2014.
- R. M. Baron, D. A. Kenny, "The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1173-1182, 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1243
- L. S. Aiken, S. G. West, Multiple regression: Testing and interpreting interactions, CA: Sage, 1991.
- K. G. Smith, K. A. Smith, J. D. Olian, H. P. Sims, D. P. O'Bannon, J. A. Scully, "Top management team demography and process: The role of social integration and communication", Administrative Science Quarterly, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 412-438, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2393297 https://doi.org/10.2307/2393297