- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Awareness of disaster and post traumatic stress disorder in occupational therapy students
재난 및 외상 후 스트레스장애에 대한 작업치료 전공자의 인식조사
- Hong, Young-Ho (Department of Fire-fighting Safety Management, HyeJeon College) ;
- Cho, Su-Bin (Occupational therapist, Chungnam National University Hospital)
- Received : 2017.04.26
- Accepted : 2017.07.07
- Published : 2017.07.31
This study examined the perception of disasters and post-traumatic stress disorder in occupational therapy majors to provide the basic data necessary for future occupational therapy. A questionnaire survey was conducted on 545 students in occupational therapy departments of three year and four year universities. The frequency of the questionnaire was calculated by frequency analysis using the SPSS 19.0 win program. A chi-squared test was conducted to verify the analyzed questionnaire data. The reliability of the questionnaire in this study showed a Cronbach' alpha value of 0.891. According to the survey results, approximately 20% of learners who majored in occupational therapy were unaware of the symptoms, developmental mechanism, and diagnostic criteria of post-traumatic stress disorder(PTSD). Knowledge of the underlying causes of psychological symptoms, such as post-traumatic stress disorder as well as physical damage through industrial accidents, was found to be 2.92 on the Likert 5-point scale. To be effective in rehabilitation treatment, the degree of the approach to education from the viewpoint of occupational therapy is important enough to be recognized as 3.90 on the Likert 5-point scale. The Pearson correlation coefficient for the need for education on disasters was higher than the correlation with the awareness of disasters.
PTSD;Occupational therapy;Questionnaire survey;Industrial accidents;Rehabilitation treatment
- David, F. Tolin, Edna B. Foa, 'Sex Differences in Trauma and Post traumatic Stress Disorder', Psychological Bulletin. vol. 132, no. 6, pp. 959-992, 2006. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.132.6.959 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.132.6.959
- Dawne Vogt, et. al., 'Gender Differences in Combat-Related Stress and Their Association with Post deployment Mental Health in a Nationally Representative Sample of US OEF/OIF Veterans', J. of Abnormal Psychology, vol. 120, no. 4, pp. 797-806, 2011. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1037/a0023452,120,4,797 https://doi.org/10.1037/a0023452,120,4,797
- K. M Lee, S. H. Jeong, W. K. Lee, U. S. Chung, 'Reliability and Validity of the Korean Version of the Child Report of Post-Traumatic Symptoms (CROPS) and the Parent Report of Post-Traumatic Symptoms (PROPS)', J. Korean Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 169-181, 2011. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5765/jkacap.2011.22.3.169 https://doi.org/10.5765/jkacap.2011.22.3.169
- Y. S. Shin, 'A Study on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Job Stress, Depression of the Fire Fighters', J. Korean Soc. Hazard Mitig., vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 233-239, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2015.15.2.233 https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2015.15.2.233
- S. W. Sin, 'Level and Countermeasures of PTSD among Police Officers, J. K. C. A, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 266-272, 2011.
- S. Y. Jang, H. Y. Jeong, S. S. Ko, 'A Study for cost of road traffic accident taken offenders PTSD in consideration, Journal of Korean Society of Transportation, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 17-29, 2010.
- G. S. Shim, N. S. Kim, S. H. Bong, 'Effects of Short-Term Music Therapy in Fire Fighters with Post-Traumatic Stress Risk', J. of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 4040-4047, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.4040 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.4040
- S. D. Jo, J. B. Park, 'The Relationship between Depression and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder among Firefighters', Journal of KOSHAM, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 219-224, 2013. DOI: http://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2013.13.5.219 https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2013.13.5.219
- C. S. Park, 'Redesigning education programs for alleviating disaster response officials' stressᆞ PTSD and it's empirical analysis for effectiveness', J. Korea Saf. Manag. Sci., vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 147-157, 2014. DOI: http://doi.org/10.12812/ksms.2014.16.4.147 https://doi.org/10.12812/ksms.2014.16.4.147
- W. S. Park, J. M. Kim, 'The Attitude of Job for Occupational Therapist', The Journal of Korean Society of Community Based Occupational Therapy, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 67-74, 2013.
- J. S. Jang, N. Y. Ra, N. R. Lee, J. Y. Won, K. M. Lee, J. H. Kim, 'Basic Investigation for Publicity of Korean Occupational Therapy', The Journal of Korean Society of Community Based Occupational Therapy, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 23-30, 2014.
- M. O. Song, C. Jang, 'Study on the Degree of Perceptions and Needs regarding the Driving Rehabilitation of the Students of Occupational Therapy in Busan and Gyeongnam', The Journal of Korean Society of Community Based Occupational Therapy, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 85-95, 2013.
- I. S. Lee, Y. M. Lee, C. Jang, 'A Survey for Satisfaction Degree on Clinical Practice for Student in the Occupational Therapy Department', Journal of the Korean Society of Integrative Medicine, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 45-59, 2013. DOI: http://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2013.1.1.045 https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2013.1.1.045
- C. Jang, H. S. Shin, 'Study on the Occupational Therapy Students Attitudes & Behavior for the Person with Disabilities', Journal of the Korean Society of Physical Medicine, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 317-326, 2013. DOI: http://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2013.8.3.317 https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2013.8.3.317
- Y. H. Hong, 'Research of College Students Recognition for the Safety Management of Living and Laboratory', Fire Sci. Eng., vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 89-96, 2014. DOI: http://doi.org/10.7731/KIFSE.2014.28.4.089 https://doi.org/10.7731/KIFSE.2014.28.4.089
- Y. H. Hong, 'Case Study the Awareness of Safety Education and School Safety of one Technical high school Students', Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 536-542, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.7.536 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.7.536
- C. S. Park, 'Redesigning education programs for alleviating disaster response officials stress.PTSD and its empirical analysis for effectiveness', J. Korea Saf. Manag. Sci.,. vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 147-157, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.12812/ksms.2014.16.4.147 https://doi.org/10.12812/ksms.2014.16.4.147
- S. Y. Kim, 'Post-traumatic stress disorder, PTSD', Korean Association of Occupational Health Nurses, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 16-20, 2008.
- H. A. Cho, Y. E. Lee, E. H. Park, 'Actual Conditions and Perception of Safety Accidents by School Food service Employees and Chungbuk', J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr., vol.43, no. 10, pp.1594-1606, 2014. DOI: http://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.10.1594 https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.10.1594
- H. J. Kim, 'Case A Study on Disaster Preparedness, Core Competencies and Educational Needs on Disaster Nursing of Nursing Students', Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. vol.16, no. 11, pp.7447-7455, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7447 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7447
- Sara Antunes Alves, Thea Comeau, 'A clinicians guide to the neurobiology underlying the presentation and treatment of PTSD and subsequent growth', Archives of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy. vol. 3, pp. 9-17, 2014.
- S. W. Choi, H. H. Ju, 'Factors Influencing Disaster Preparedness of Students Studying Emergency Rescue', J. Korea Contents Association. vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 651-658, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.07.651 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.07.651
- D. C. Uhm, Y. I. Park, H. J. Oh, 'Disaster Preparation of Visiting Nurses in Public Health Centers', J. Korean Acad. Soc. Educ., vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 240-249, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.2.240 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.2.240