- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Reading and Story Sharing through Fairy Tales on Young Children's Character Development in Their Role Play Using Natural Materials
자연물 역할놀이에서의 동화를 활용한 독서와 이야기 나누기가 유아의 인성함양에 미치는 영향
- Kang, Young-Sik (Dept of Early Childhood Education, Chung-Nam National University)
- 강영식 (충남대학교 교육학과 교육대학원 유아교육)
- Received : 2017.05.02
- Accepted : 2017.07.07
- Published : 2017.07.31
This study examines the effects of reading and story sharing through fairy tales on young children's character development in their role play using natural materials. To achieve this, 40 5-year-old children at early childhood educational institutes in Daejeon were tested 16 times for 8 weeks. The results were as follows. First, their role plays using natural objects through reading and talking had a positive effect on their personality cultivation. Second, there was no experimental difference in their prudence and filial piety of basic behavioral items, but their cleanliness and patience were proven effective in the experiment. Third, all their justice, conscience and service indicating their sociality-related friendship, kindness, gentleness and morality were proven effective in the experiment, which their role plays using natural objects through reading and story sharing through fairy tales had an educational effect on improving their sociality and morality through peer interaction. This suggests that their mind to improve social virtues with an exchange of emotions, particularly, treat natural role play in a friendly way, their public promises to cherish life, and their ethical virtues to obey the rules in the process of consideration, appreciation, understanding and help through mutual communication and cooperation in forest experience activities are very effective from an educational perspective.
cultivating humanity;sociability natural product;natural role play
- E. J. Kim, J. Y. Ha, S. Y. Gang, H, I. Hwang, J. T. Im, The Effects of Eco Early Childhood Education Program on Elementary School Adjustment of Children, Eco Childhood Education Research, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 75-95, 2005.
- Y. J. Lee, A Study on the Young Children's Pattern Recognition, Master's Thesis from Graduate School of Education at Korea National University of Education, 2006.
- Jarmoc U. J., Self-esteem and different forms of thinking in seven and nine year olds, Early Child Development and Care, vol. 177, no. 4, pp. 337-348, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/03004430500504336 https://doi.org/10.1080/03004430500504336
- Borin, K. A., Nature places and story spaces: An exploration of children's stories about nature, the State University of New Jersey New Brunswick, 2005.
- Manz & Slims, The effect of play materials on positive and negative social behaviors in preschool boys and girls, Child Study Journal, vol. 16 pp. 67-76, 2001.
- M. S. Kim, J. E. Yoo, M. J. Lee, H. R. Jo, A Study on Young Children's Free Play Behaviors at the Same-aged Classrooms: The Relationship to Learning Area, Play Mate and Playfulness, Open Early Childhood Education Research, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 75- 98, 2010.
- Mi-Na Lee, Young-Ae Kim, The Effects of Young Children's Forest Paly Program, Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 271-278, Apr. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.04.29 https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.04.29
- HaeYoung Kim, Eunsook Le, The effects of The character education through gardening on developing child's patience, Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 285-293, Jun. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.06.34 https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.06.34
- Ok-young Park, A Study on the Development of a Topic-Oriented STEAM Program for Preschoolers, Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 73-84, Oct. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.10.23 https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.10.23
- N. U. Gwak, A Study on the Implementation of Learning in Forest Kindergarten, Seoul: Educational Autonomy Research Institute, 2010.
- I. W. Lee, G. Y. Choi, Young Children's Experiences of Free Play in the Forest, Open Early Childhood Education Research, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 273-301, 2007.
- H. S. Jo, The Development and Evaluation of Nature Friendly Program for Young Children. Korean Society for Early Childhood Education, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 343-367, 2005.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, Personality Education Program for Substantiality of Early Childhood Nuri Curriculum, 2012.
- M. H. Hong, The Development of a Model Faith Educational Program Based on Play for Infant at Home, Master's Thesis from Graduate School of Education at Chongshin University, 2014.
- J. J. Kim, The Effects of Hypothetical Dilemma discussion on Preschooler's Moral Reasoning Development, Doctorate Thesis from Graduate School at Ewha Womans University, 1993.
- Do Gyeong-Yoo, Based on the Cognitive Proposal Search of Human Brain Program for Developing the Creative Personality Early Childhood Education Program, Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 683-692, Apr. 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2017.04.69 https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2017.04.69
- Jihye Lim, Bongsu Park, Development of a Multicultural Program for Local Childcare Community, Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 281-289, Aug. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.08.44 https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.08.44
- Soo-Min Bae, Jeong-Jin Youn, Education program development for early childhood character through Nuri curriculum, Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 55-62, Jun. 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/ajmahs.2017.06.10 https://doi.org/10.14257/ajmahs.2017.06.10
- S. G. Kim, The Effects of Role-Play Using Character-Related Picture Books on Preschoolers' Cultivation of Character, Master's Thesis from Graduate School of Education at Soongsil University, 2015.
- I. O. Lee, A Comparative Study on Naturalistic Early Childhood Educational ldeas of Rousseau and Pestalozzi, Master's Thesis from Graduate School of Education at Seoul Education University, 2013.
- E. H. Hong, The effect of Young Children's Self-esteem on their prosocial behavior, Master's Thesis from Graduate School of Education at Kangnam University, 2013.