- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Survey on Infection Control Status and Perceived Importance of ICP (infection control practitioner) in Long Term Care Hospital
요양병원 감염관리 현황 및 감염관리 담당자의 중요도 인식 조사
- Kim, You-Jeong (Department of Nursing, Sunlin college) ;
- Park, Jeong-Sook (College of Nursing, Keimyung University)
- Received : 2017.06.26
- Accepted : 2017.07.07
- Published : 2017.07.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate the status of infection control in long term care hospitals. Data were gathered from 156 long term care hospitals that received certification evaluation from May 1, 2016 to July 31, 2016. We used a questionnaire consisting of 85 items regarding the status and perceived importance of infection control. The data were analyzed using the SPSS / WIN 21.0 program. All of the hospitals have infection control regulations, 80.4% of them have an infection control committee and 86.0% of them employ an ICP(infection control practitioner) who holds this position in addition to another. Hand hygiene showed the highest score at 4.47 in the perceived importance of infection control. Employee education and compliance with the validity period of sterilized products showed the highest frequency and perceived importance among the infection control activities. The above results show that almost all of the long term care hospitals have infection control regulations, but that these regulations are not properly implemented, because of the lack of applicable regulations on the policy level. Therefore, it is necessary to develop infection monitoring standards and infection control guidelines for long term care hospitals and provide the infection control practitioners with training in how to apply them.
Infection control;Infection control practitioner;Infection control status;Long term care hospital;perceived importance
- Statistics Korea. Statistics Korea web site on press releases. "2015 Elderly person statistics" [cited 2014 september 24] available from http://kostat.go.kr/wnsearch/search.jsp (accessed May., 12, 2016)
- H. J. Lee, J. Y. Kim, S. H. Kim, "An Analysis of the difference between Importance and Satisfaction of Selection Attributes and Reuse Intention in Long Term Care Hospital for Elderly Patient Caregivers", Korean Journal of Hospital Management, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 50-61, 2015.
- National Health Insurance Service. "Overview of long term care", [cited 2014 November 20] available from: http://www.longtermcare.or.kr /portal/site/nydev/MENUITEM_LTCARE/(accessed May., 12 2016)
- M. W. Park, K. H. Park, J. H. Cho, H. Y. Park, I. H. Kwon, W. H. Yeo, J. Y. Lee, D. H. Park, Y. S. Yoon, Y. W. Kim, "Characteristics of Geriatric Trauma Patients Transferred from Long-term Care Hospitals: A Propensity Score Matched Analysis" Journal of the Korean Society of Emergency Medicine, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 312- 317, 2014.
- A. Montoya, M. Cassone, L. Mody, "Infections in Nursing Homes: Epidemiology and Prevention Programs", Clin Geriatr Med, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 585- 607, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cger.2016.02.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cger.2016.02.004
- S. Y. Kim, "The clinical features and hospital courses of patient in admitted to a geriatric hospital: Analysis of registered cases", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanlim university, Chuncheon. 2008.
- U. Heudorf, K. Boehlcke, M. Schade, "Healthcare associated infections in long term care facilities (HALT) in Frankfurt am Main", Germany January to March 2011. Euro Surveill, vol. 17, no. 35, 2012.
- S. Y. Choi, "Characteristics and risk factors of healthcare associated infection in Korean nursing homes", Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul University, Seoul, 2009.
- H. S. Kim, "The service level and related factors of charged care facilities for the aged", Korean Journal of Gerontological Social Welfare, 44, pp. 373-392, 2009.
- K. H. Kim, H. R. Lee, Y. K. Kim, H. J. Kim, "A Long-term care facility's geriatric nursing traits", Journal of Qualitative Research, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 35-47, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.22284/qr.2014.15.1.35 https://doi.org/10.22284/qr.2014.15.1.35
- S. H. Lee, "Multi-level analysis of factors related to quality of services in long-term care hospitals", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 409-421, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.3.409 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.3.409
- H. Y. Jung, Y. K. Jung, "Recognition and performance level of hospital infection control in nurses of long term care hospital", The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 131-141, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7.4.131 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7.4.131
- R. Njemini, J. Smitz, C. Demanet, M. Sosso, "Association with infection and nutrition", Archives of Gerontology & Geriatrics, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 359-363, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2011.01.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2011.01.005
- W. J. Meurer, B. L. Smith, E. D. Losman, D. Sherman, J. D. Yaksich, J. D. Jared, P. N. Malani, J. G. Younger, "Real time identification of serious infection in geriatric patients using clinical information system surveillance", Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 40-45, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2008.02094 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2008.02094
- P. J. Broek, H. J. Cools, M. Wulf, P. H. Das, "How much time should long term care and geriatric rehabilitation facilities(nursing homes) spend on infection control", American Journal of Infection Control, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 723-725, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2010.03.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2010.03.008
- C. Bonnal, B. Baune, M. Mion, L. Armand- Lefevre, F. L'Heriteau, W. Wolmark, "Bacteriuria in a geriatric hospital: impact of an antibiotic improvement program", Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 605-609, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2008.04.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2008.04.004
- E. J. Park, Y. J. Lim, B. H. Cho, I. J. Sin, S. O. Kim, "A Survey on performance of infection control by workers in nursing homes for the elderly", J Korean Gerontol Nurs, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 79-90, August 2011.
- D. J. Lee, Y. H. Lee, S. H. Ko, "Perception and practice of hospital infection control in nurses of geriatric hospital: for convergent approach", Journal of Digital Convergence 13(11), pp. 461-470, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.461 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.461
- J. H. Lee. "Perception and practice of hospital infection control in nursing staff of geriatric hospital", Unpublished Master's Thesis, Donga University, pp. 1-49, 2011.
- S. H. Eun, Y. S. Lee, J. O. Cha, J. I. Yoo, J. G. Lee, H. J. Lee, "The point prevalence and associated factors of nasal methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization in eight geriatric hospitals in Korea", Clinical Microbiology Infection, 12, pp. 81-83, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-0691.2005.01313.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-0691.2005.01313.x
- K. W. Kim, "Infection status and clinical outcome in long term care hospitals patients visiting an emergency medical center", Unpublished Master's Thesis, Chung Ang University, Seoul 2017.
- M. W. Kang, "National survey and development of standardized practice on the infection control in Korea", Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2004.
- J. S. Eom, "Survey for real infection control of small and medium sized hospital and developing consulting system for improving infection control", Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2012.
- Accreditation in certified long term care hospital. Information [Internet]. Korea Institute for healthcare accreditation [cited 2017 April 24], Available from: https://www.koiha.or.kr/member/kr/board/establish/establish_BoardView.do. (acessed May., 1 2017)
- S. Y. Jeong, O. S. Kim, J. Y. Lee, "The status of healthcare associated infection control among healthcare facilities in Korea", Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 353-366, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.5.353 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.5.353
- D. A. Heo, J. H. Lee, E. H. Huh, K. W. Moon, "Problems of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome outbreak from the perspective of environmental health focusing on control of indoor air quality in hospitals-", Journal of Environmental Health Sciences, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 216-221, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2015.41.3.216 https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2015.41.3.216
- M. J. Kim, "Correlations among knowledge, awareness, and performance of the hospital infection control in clinical nurses", Master's Thesis, Chodang University 2010.
- M. J. Park. "Recognition and practice level of hospital infection control among medium and small hospital nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Inha University, Inchon. 2008.
- K. M. Kim, J. S. Choi, "Factors affecting core competencies among infection control nurses Korea", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 11-21, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.1.11 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.1.11
- T. A. Carolyn, W. Patricia, Nicholas Castle, Monika, L. Elaine, W. Andrew, "Infection prevention and control programs in US Nursing Homes: Results of a national survey", The Society for Post Acute and Long Term Care Medicine, 17, pp. 85-88, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2015.10.017 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2015.10.017
- E. Dick, B. Zoutman, Douglas Ford, Jim Gauthier, "A cross Canada survey of infection prevention and control in long term care facilities", American Journal of Infection Control, 37, pp. 358-63, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2008.10.029 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2008.10.029
- H. J. Kim, N. C. Kim, "A study of hand washing by intensive care unit nurses according to the content of nursing faculty practice", The korean journal of fundamentals of nursing, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 121-130, 2005.
- M. J. Ahn, "Hand washing related factors of hand washing practice by nursing personal in critical care unit", Unpublished Master's Thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul 2002.
- W. Philip, Smith, Gail Bennett, Suzanne Bradley, Paul Drinka, Ebbing Lautenbach, James Marx, "SHEA/APIC Guideline: Infection prevention and control in the long-term care facility", Am J Infect Control, 36, pp. 504-35, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2008.06.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2008.06.001