- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Security Problems of Smart TV and Consumer's Purchase Intention
스마트TV의 보안 문제와 소비자의 구매의도에 관한 연구
- Cho, Sung-Phil (Department of Security Convergence Science, Chungang University) ;
- Lee, Gi-Hyouk (Department of Security Convergence Science, Chungang University)
- Received : 2017.06.13
- Accepted : 2017.07.07
- Published : 2017.07.31
Smart TV sareequipped with an operating system and combined with internet functionality. They can use various apps and contents, and provide personalized and interactive services. However, the Internet connectivity of smart TVs has several security vulnerabilities that can cause significant personal and social harm. Therefore, it is necessary to develop a smart TV with a higher level of security than is currently available. In this study, we analyze consumers' purchase intention for smart TVs with security reinforcement by applying the UTAUT2 model. The results are as follows. Firstly, it was found that performance expectancy, social influence, facilitating conditions and price value, as important variables under the existing UTAUT2 model, have significant effects on purchase intention. Secondly, effort expectancy did not have a positive impact on purchase intention. Thirdly, there was a moderating effect of gender on social influence. According to the results of this study, social influence has the most powerful effect on the purchase intention of smart TVs with security reinforcement. Therefore, in order to improve the purchase intention of smart TVs, it is necessary to expand the publicity activities designed to promote the necessity and importance of reinforcing the security of smart TVs and make them easier to use.
Purchase Intention;Security reinforcement;Smart TV;Smart TV security;UTAUT2
- DisplaySearch, Quarterly smart TV shipment and forcast report, 2015.
- IHS Markit, Smart TV Surge: More Than Half of TVs Shipped Globally in Q1 2016 Were Smart, IHS Says, 2016, Available from: http://news.ihsmarkit.com/press-release/technology/ (accessed Apr., 10, 2017).
- S. J. Kim, K.S. Cho, W. Ryu, H.J. Lee, J.C. Kwak, "Smart TV technology development direction and policy", Journal of Broadcast Engineering, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 54-64, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5909/JEB.2011.16.1.054
- Wikileaks, Vault 7: CIA Hacking Tools Revealed, 2017, Available from: https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/ (accessed Apr., 10, 2017)
- KISA, 2017 Information security top 10 issue forecasts, 2017, Available from: http://www.kisa.or.kr/public/library/etc_View.jsp?regno= 022280 (accessed Jun., 5, 2017)
- J. H. Kim, K. W. Son, J. H. Youn, "A Review on Smart TV Attack Trends", Journal of Security Engineering, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 533-544, 2015.
- N. U. Kim, S. H. Kim, J. H. Eom, "A Study of the Classification of Security Threats and Objects of Information Security for Smart TV's Stability", Journal of Security Engineering, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 325-334, 2012
- S. H. Hong, "Hacking and Countermeasure on Smart TV", Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 313-317, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2014.12.1.313 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2014.12.1.313
- P. Albano, A. Castiglione, G. Cattaneo, A. De Santis, "A Novel Anti-forensics Technique for the Android OS", Broadband and Wireless Computing, Communication and Applications (BWCCA) 2011 International Conference, pp. 380-385, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/BWCCA.2011.62 https://doi.org/10.1109/BWCCA.2011.62
- Y. K. Wi, J. Kwak, "Analysis of Smart TV Trends and Security Vulnerabilitiess to Use in the Smartwork", Journal of Multimedia Information System, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 76-80, 2012.
- J.K. Moon, J. M. Kim, "Modify of extended API for Smart-TV security", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 1-6, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2014.5.2.001 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2014.5.2.001
- C. S. Jung, M. Y. Lee, Y. T. Shin, "Security Measures for Smart TV Service", KIISE workshop presentation files, pp. 701-703, 2013.
- V. Venkatesh, M. G. Morris, G. B. Davis, F. D. Davis, "User Acceptance of Information Technology: Toward a Unified View", MIS Quarterly, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 425-478, 2003. https://doi.org/10.2307/30036540
- L. M. Maruping, H. Bala, V. Venkatesh, S.A. Brown, "Going beyond intention: Integrating behavioral expectation into the unified theory of acceptance and use of technology", Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 623-637, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.23699 https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.23699
- V. Venkatesh, J. Thong, X. Xu, "Consumer Acceptance and Use of Information Technology: Extending the Unified Theory of Acceptance and Use of Technology", MIS Quarterly, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 157-178, 2012.
- A. A. Taiwo, A. G. Downe, "The Theory of User Acceptance and Use of Technology (UTAUT): A Meta-Analytic Review of Empirical Findings", Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 48-58, 2013.
- M. Deutsch, H.B. Gerard, "A Study of Normative and Information Social Influences Upon Individual Judgment," The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 629-636, 1995. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/h0046408 https://doi.org/10.1037/h0046408
- T. Z. Chang, A. R. Wildt, "Price, product information, and purchase intention: An empirical study", Journal of the Academy of Marketing science, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 16-27, 1994. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070394221002 https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070394221002
- C. Morosan, A. De Franco, "It's about time: Revisiting UTAUT2 to examine consumers' intentions to use NFC mobile payments in hotels", International Journal of Hospitality Management, vol. 53, pp. 17-29, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2015.11.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2015.11.003
- E. Abushanab, J. M. Pearson, "Internet Banking in Jordan: The Unified Theory of Acceptance and Use of Technology(UTAUT) Perspective," Journal of Systems and Information Technology, vol. 9, pp. 78-97, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/13287260710817700 https://doi.org/10.1108/13287260710817700
- H. Oh, "The effect of brand class, brand awareness, and price on customer value and behavioral intentions", Journal of Hospitality &Tourism Research, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 136-162, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/109634800002400202 https://doi.org/10.1177/109634800002400202
- F. D. Davis, R. P. Bagozzi, P. R. Warshaw, "Extrinsic and Intrinsic Motivation to Use Computers in the Workplace", Journal of Applied Social Psychology, vol. 22, no. 14, pp. 1111-1132, 1992. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1992.tb00945.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1992.tb00945.x