- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The structural relationship between brand consistency and intention to purchase luxury fashion products: with a focus on the mediating effect of self-construal
명품 패션 제품의 브랜드 일치성과 구매의도의 구조적 관계: Self-Construal의 매개효과를 중심으로
- Lee, Jung-Hyun (Division of Air Service Management, Howon University)
- 이정현 (호원대학교 항공서비스학과)
- Received : 2017.06.26
- Accepted : 2017.07.07
- Published : 2017.07.31
Luxury goods products have a steady stream of consumers, and the latest trend is the sell and purchase markets. The consumers age groups also vary widely. This research examined the mediating effect of self-construal of the relationship between brand consistency and intention to purchase luxury fashion products. The analysis classified the brand consistency of luxury fashion products as social, actual, and the deal. First, the order of consistency that had an effect on self-construal appeared in the order of social cohesion, actual coincidence, and ideal coincidence. Second, an analysis of mediating effect of self-construal showed that only self-construal appeared to have a partial mediating effect on the relationship between the intention to purchase and the actual and ideal consistency. Such result can be interpreted as that when purchasing luxury fashion products, consumers have a tendency to desire that the brand would express their personal image and that it would match the perception they had of the brand, rather than a tendency to perceive the brand as a tool to help them perform their desired social role. These results suggest that consumers who consume the brand desire to have their personalities and subjective environmental conditions well expressed.
luxury fashion;brand consistency;social self-consistency;ideal consistency;desire to purchase
Supported by : 호원대학교
- Yi, Y. J., La, S. N., Brand Personality-brand Identification-brand Equity Model: An Exploratory Study on the Difference between Users vs. Non-users, Korean Marketing Review, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 1-34, 2002.
- Park, Sung-eun, The Effect of Brand Loyalty Corresponding with the Individuality of Fashionable Luxury Brands with Consumer Self-image: Centrically the Attitude on Product and Control Effect of Self-monitoring. Master's Thesis, Sungkyunkwan University of Korea, 2012.
- O'cass Aron & Hmily Forst, Status Brands : Examining the Effects of Non-Product-Related Brand Associations on Status and Conspicuous Consumption, Journal of Product and Brand Management, vol. 11 no. 2, pp. 67-86255, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/10610420210423455 https://doi.org/10.1108/10610420210423455
- Berger, J., & Ward, M., Subtle Signals of Inconspicuous Consumption, Journal of Consumer Research, 37, pp. 555-569, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1086/655445 https://doi.org/10.1086/655445
- Cha, T. H., Nam, G. M., Consumption of Fashion Luxury Goods and Selection of Stores. The Korean PR Society, vol. 2004, no. 4, pp. 225-245, 2004.
- Jeon, Insoo, Kim, EunWha, A Three-Stage Model of Reputation Brand. Korean Society of Consumer Studies, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 209-227, 2005.
- Lee, June Young, & Kim, Ran Do, Consumer Desire for Luxury Product: Applying the "Theory of Triangular Desire" to In-depth Interviews. Journal of the Korean Society of Consumer Studies, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 41-58, 2007.
- Joo, Bo Rim, Road Map to Creating Luxury Brands in Korean: With Focus on Analyzing the Success Strategies of International Luxury Fashion Brands, The Korean Society of Fashion Design, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 49-63, 2008.
- Jung, Jae Hoon, A Study on the Awareness of College Students about Luxury Fashion Brands: The case of Busan. Master's Thesis, Pukyung National University of Korea. 2010.
- Kim, Ji Soo, The Purchasing Activity and Perceived Risk for Luxury Goods in Internet Shopping Malls. Master's Thesis, Ewha Womeans University of Korea. 2005.
- Back, I. S., 2015 Department Store Trend, Lotte Future Strategy Center. 204.
- Park, Hye Sun, & Kim, Hyun Sook, The Effect of Benefits and Online Shopping Risks on Channel Selection for Luxury Fashion Items, Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 13-25, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2011.35.1.013 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2011.35.1.013
- Kim, B. J., Qualitative Research on Shop Choice Behavior by Shopping Motivation: For Department Store Shop Customers, Journal of Aviation Management Society of Korea, pp. 1-6, 2009.
- Kwon, Min Taek, Choi, Nak Hwan, The Influence of Brand-Self Image Congruity Determinants on Brand Loyalty: The Role of Self-motive, Journal of the Korean Society of Consumer Studies, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 221-254, 2009.
- Rosenberg, M, Conceiving the Self. NY: Basic Books. 1979.
- Kotler, Pamela L., Multiple Roles and Mortality among Men and Women in Alameda County, University of California, Los Angeles.1996.
- Lee, H. S., Ahn, K. H., & Ha, Y. W., Consumer Behavior: Marketing Strategic Approach. Seoul: Hakyeonsa. 2010.
- Song, In-Wook, A Study on the Self Image Congruity of Sports Product Parent Brand Image on the Attitude of Extension Brand and Purchase Intention, Doctoral Thesis, Kyung Hee University of Korea. 2013.
- Choi, Seong-hyeon, The Effect of the Correspondence between Self-image and Brand Image on Masstige Brand Preference, Master's Thesis, Ewha Womeans University of Korea. 2011.
- Kim, Su-Hyeong, The Effect of Self-brand Image Congruity and Functional Congruity on Brand Love, Brand Attitude and Consumers' Responses, Master's Thesis, Kyungpook National University of Korea, 2014.
- Aaker, Jennifer. L., Dimensions of Brand Personality. Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 1, no. 22, pp. 391-394, 1997. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.945432 https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.945432
- Lee, Dong Whuy 2009, A Study on the Influence of Advertising Awareness among Consumers' Personality Traits on Buying Intention, Journal of Korea Association of Business Education, vol. 54, pp. 1-18, 2009.
- Han, S. H., & Bang, H. J., Self-construal Priming Effect in Social Comparison: Self-evaluation and Similarity Perception of Children. Proceedings of the Korean Psychological Association, vol. 2007, no. 1, pp. 434-435, 2007.
- Kim, Sumin., & Lee, Byung Kwan, A Study on the Effects of Self-construal on Preference for Product Assortment and Variety Seeking Behavior, Journal of the Korean Psychological Association, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 499-518, 2015.
- Lee Seong Soo, Kim Wan Seok, & Kim Jung Sik, Understanding Consumer Complaint Intentions and Behaviors from the Perspective of Self-Construal, Journal of Koreanpsychology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 19-42, 2005.
- Song, In-Wook, A Study on the Self Image Congruity ofSports Product Parent Brand Image on the Attitude of Extension Brand and Purchase Intention, Doctoral Thesis,Kyung Hee University of Korea, pp. 41-50, 2013.
- Song, In-Wook, A Study on the Self Image Congruity of Sports Product Parent Brand Image on the Attitude of Extension Brand and Purchase Intention, Doctoral Thesis ,Kyung Hee University of Korea, pp. 76-80, 2013.