- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Study on the Accident Characteristics of the Elderly According to the Urban-Rural Complex Area and Regional Types
도농복합지역과 지역유형에 따른 노인교통사고 특성 비교연구
- Kim, Kyung-Bum (Jeju Special Self-Governing Province) ;
- Hwang, Kyung-Soo (Public Administration, Jeju National University)
- Received : 2017.04.24
- Accepted : 2017.07.07
- Published : 2017.07.31
This study analyzed the characteristics of traffic accidents among elderly drivers according to area type in Gyeonggido(urban areas, urban-rural complex areas, and rural areas). Traffic accidents caused by unsafe driving are common in all three types of areas. In urban areas and urban-rural complex areas, traffic accidents were more frequent due to traffic violations and intersection accidents, while rural areas were more affected by central lines. Urban areas and urban-rural complex areas require simpler signal exposures, such as a simple straight line, left turn, or straight line and left turn signal rather than complex signal operations, such as overlaps in a signal operation. Improvement of non-signal intersections and unprotected traffic signal processing is also needed. In order to prevent the intrusion of the central line in rural areas, the center line guard rail should be prevented from penetrating the center line, and the influence of the vehicle headlamp should be reduced in the opposite direction. It is necessary to improve the visibility by using fluorescent letters to enlarge the font size of traffic signs and road signs, particularly to increase visibility at night and prevent traffic accidents at sunset. Minimal, simplified should be provided rather than complex phrases and information.
urban area;Urban-Rural Complex Area;rural area;traffic accidents of elderly drivers;Characteristics
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- KoROAD, Estimation and evaluation of road traffic accident cost in 2012, 2013.
- W. K. Cha, "Analysis on life satisfaction in urban and rural regions by using panel data" Graduate School, Seoul National University, p. 6, 2012.
- L. Hakamies-Blomqvist, P. Henriksson, "Cohert effect in older driver's accident type distribution : Are older drivers as old they used to be?", Transportation Research Part F, vol. 2, pp. 131-138, 1999. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S1369-8478(99)00009-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1369-8478(99)00009-1
- S. C. Lee, J. C. Kim, J, S. Oh, I. S. Kim, "The Character of Elderly Drivers' Traffic Accidents: Comparison of Elderly Drivers and Young Drivers" Chungbuk National University, Social Science Research, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 171-192, 2005.
- T. H. Kim, E. J. Kim, J. H. Rho, "Analysis of Old Driver's Accident Influencing Factors Considering Human Factors", Journal of The Korean Society of Safety, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 69-77, 2009.
- Charlton. J. I, Oxely. J, Fildes, B., Oxley. P, & Newstead. S, Self-regulatory behavious of older drivers. Annual Proceeding : Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, Lisbon, Portugal, 2003.
- S. C. Lee, "Psychological factors of elderly driver traffic accidents", Korean Journal of Psychological and Social Issues, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 149-167, 2006.
- S. J. Park, "Effect of Carefulness, Error and Lapse on Elderly Drivers' Driving Behaviour", Graduate School, Chungbuk National University, 2006.
- H. Iversen, T. Rundmo, "Personality, risky driving and accident involvement among Norwegian drivers", Personality and Individual Differences, vol. 8, no. 33, pp. 1251-1263, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(02)00010-7 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(02)00010-7
- J. H. Kim, J. S. Oh, S. C. Lee, "The Influences of Driving Behavior Determinants on Traffic Violations and Accidents", Korean Journal of Psychological and Social Issues, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 349-369, 2006.
- H. J. Rho, Research method and statistical analysis by SPSS, Hyungseul Publisher, 2006.
- J. J. Song, SPSS/AMOS Statistics, 21century, 2012.
- M. H. Huh, SPSS Statistics Classification Ayalysis, Data Solution, 2014.