- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Relevance of Caregiver Burden, Depressive symptoms and Mental Related Quality of Life in a Stroke Patient's Caregiver
뇌졸중 환자 보호자의 부양부담감 및 우울감과 정신건강관련 삶의 질과의 관련성
- Kim, Min-jeong (Cheong Ju Medical Center) ;
- Kim, Young-Ran (Department of Radiology, Wonkwang Health Science University) ;
- Jung, Jae-Hun (Department of Occupational therapy, Chungbuk Health Science university) ;
- Lee, Tae-Yong (Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Chungnam National University School of Medicine)
- Received : 2017.04.21
- Accepted : 2017.07.07
- Published : 2017.07.31
Objective: This study examined the caregiver burden, depressive symptoms, and mental-related quality of life of 226 caregivers of stroke patients, who had been hospitalized in 7 general hospitals located in Cheongju and Daejeon Metropolitan city. Methods: Data were collected from August 5, 2014 to October 5, 2014 and a structured self-administered questionnaire was used. The results were analyzed using a t-test, ANOVA for different comparisons of the mental related quality of life in the sociodemographic characteristics, care-related characteristics, health-related behavioral characteristics, caregiver burden, and depressive symptoms. Hierarchical multiple regression was conducted to determine the explanatory power of the independent variables on the dependent variables, with the variables showing significant differences in univariate analysis as independent variables. Results: According to the results of hierarchical multiple regression analysis, the relevant factors that influenced the mental-related quality of life were the relationship with a patient, burden by 'care', burden by sacrifice of 'personal life', and depressive symptoms. Conclusion: To enhance health-related quality of life, not only is a systematic complement on such factors needed, but the development and implementation of an intervention program to the caregiver burden and depressive symptoms is also urgently required.
mental related quality of life;caregiver burden;depressive symptoms;Stroke Patient's Caregiver;intervention program
Supported by : 충남대학교
- Statistics Korea. Http://sgis.kostat.go.kr/publicsmodel/, 2012.
- Kim S. K., Experience of family caregivers caring for the patients with stroke, Korean journal of nursing query, pp. 67-88, vol. 3, no. 1, 1994.
- Statistics Korea. Http://sgis. kostat.go.kr/publicsmodel/, 2002.
- Kim J. H. Kang H. S., Kim. W. O., Wang. M. J., Chang. C. M.,, Factors Affecting the Quality of Life in Stroke Patient at Home, Korean academic society of rehabilitation nursing, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 49-55, 2006.
- Kim I. K., Yang S. H., A Study on the Burden and Coping Behaviors of Stroke Patients' Family Members, Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 28-41, 2004.
- Anderson C. S., Linto J, Stewart-Wynne EG. A population-based assessment of the impact and burden of caregiving for long-term stroke survivors. Stroke vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 843-849, 1995. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.26.5.843 https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.26.5.843
- Yoon H. S., Cha H.B., Cho Y.S., Factors Affecting Family Caregivers' Burden and Depression to Elderly with Stroke, The Korean Gerontological society, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 137-153, 2000.
- Robert J. H., Rosemarie B. K., Allen WH, Partrick S., Accidents in Older caregivers of Persons Surviving Stroke and Their Relation to Caregiver Stress. Rehabil Psychol, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 15-156, 2006.
- Kim E. Y., Shin E. Y., Kim Y. M., Caregiver Burden and Health-related Quality of Life Among Stroke Caregivers, J Korea Community Health Nursing Academic Society, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 5-13, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.1.5 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.1.5
- Han J. H., Park Y. H., Caregiver's Burden and Quality of Life of Male Spouses with Stroke Wives, The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 615-626, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.6.615 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.6.615
- Han K. S., Kim S. Y., Lee S. J., Park E. S., Park Y. J., Kim J. H., Lee K. M., Kang H. C., Yeun. J. W., Family Functioning and Quality of Life of the Family Care-giver in Cancer Patients, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 983-991, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.6.983 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.6.983
- Jung Y. B., Park J. H., Burden and Depression among Family Caregivers of Stroke patients. Kyungpook National University, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 105-116, 2004.
- Elisabeth T. P, Luc P. W, Lindwein M. S, Robbert S, Betty MJ. Risk factors for burn-out in caregivers of stroke patients and possibilities for intervention. Clin Rehabil vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 669-677, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1191/0269215501cr446oa https://doi.org/10.1191/0269215501cr446oa
- Lee K. O., Yang H. Y., Family Caregiver Burden and Quality of Life According to the Levels of CVA Patient's Self-Care, The Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 192-205, 2002.
- Min Y. S., Yong J. S., Relationships Among Burden, Social Support and Quality of Life for the Family Caregiver of Hemodialysis Patients, The Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 358-366, 2003.
- Esther S. Family burden and quality of life. Qual Life Res vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 33-41, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023513218433
- Sawatzky R, Pamela AR, Johnson JL, Kopec JA, Zumbo BD. Self-reported physical and mental health status and quality of life in adolescents: a latent variable mediation model. Health Qual Life Outcomes 8, pp. 17-27, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-8-17 https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-8-17
- Choi Y. J., A Study on Factors that Affect Quality of Life of the Elderly by Age, Hanyoung Theological University, 2008.
- Ware J. E., Kosinski M, Dewey J. E., Gandek B. How to Score and Interpret Single-Item Health Status Measure : A Manual for Users of the SF-8 Health Survey. Qaulity Metric Incorpotated, Lincoln(RI), 2001.
- Cho S. I. KLoSA, basic analysis report. Seoul: Korea Labor Institue, 2009.
- Statistics Korea. Http://sgis.kostat.go.kr/publicsmodel/, 2006.
- Van Swieten JC, Koudstaal PJ, Visser MC, Schouten H. J., van Gijn J., Interoobserver agreement for the assessment of handicap in stroke patients. Stroke 19, pp. 604-607, 1988. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.19.5.604 https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.19.5.604
- Vernooij-Dassen MJ, Persoon JM, Felling AJ. Predictors of sense of competence in primary caregivers of demented persons. Soc Sci Med vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 41-49, 1996. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0277-9536(95)00332-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/0277-9536(95)00332-0
- Choi S. M., Kim H. S., Kwon S. U., Kim J. S., Factors affecting the burden on caregivers of stroke survivors in South Korea. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86, pp. 1054-1058, 2005.
- Kyum K. C., Sang C. C., Beyong C. Y., Integrated Adaptation of CES - D in Korea, Korean Psychological Association, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 59-76, 2001.
- Craig T. J., Van Natta P. A., Prevalence and persistences of depression symptoms in patients and community populations. Am J Psychiatry, 133. pp. 1426-1429, 1979.
- Myers J. K., Weissman M. M., Use of a self-report symptom scale to detect depression in a community sample. Am J Psychiatry 137, pp. 1081-1084, 1980. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.137.9.1081 https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.137.9.1081
- Eaton W. W., Kessler L. G., Rates of symptoms of depression in a national sample. Am J Epidemiol 114, pp. 528-539, 1981. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a113218 https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a113218
- Moon S. J., Lee M, J. Yoon K. S., Lee S. C., Lee H. Y., Kim M. K., The Center for Epidemiologic Studies-Depression Scale(CES-D) : Its Use in Korea, J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 752-767, 1991.
- Cho M. J., Development of the Korean version of diagnostic instruments and epidemiological studies for major psychiatric disorders, Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2001.
- Lee E. H., Problem with the use of questionnaires published on Korean journal of adult nursing, Korean J Adult nurs, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 439-440, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.5.439 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.5.439
- David L. R., William EH, Virgina GW, Olivio JC, George H., Race and gender differences in perceived caregivers availability for community-dwelling middle-aged and older adult, Gerontologist, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 721-729, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/47.6.721 https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/47.6.721
- Kao H. F., McHugh M. L., The role of caregiver gender and caregiver burden in nursing home placements for elderly Taiwanese survivors of stroke, Res Nurs Health, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 121-134, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.20007 https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.20007
- Vincent C, Desrosiers J, Landreville P, Demers L. Burden of caregivers of people with stroke: Evolution and predictors, Cerebrovas Dis, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 456-464, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1159/000210092 https://doi.org/10.1159/000210092
- Shin S. I., Study on quality of life and burden of caregiving for primary caregiver of stroke patients, Dongguk University, 2014.
- Park Y. R., A study on burden in family caregivers and perceived family support in patients with stroke, Kyung Hee University, 2000.
- Eo J. M., A study on the burden and life quality of cancer patients' family members, Hanyang University, 2004.
- Heo Y.H., Burden in family caregivers of the elderly with diseases, Chungnam National University, 2003.
- Morimoty T, Schreiner AS, Asano H. Caregiver burden and heath related quality of life among Japanese stroke caregiver. Age Ageing vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 218-223, 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/32.2.218 https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/32.2.218
- Nir Z, Greenberger C, Bachner YG. Profile, burden, and quality of life of Israeli stroke survivor caregivers: a longitudinal study. J Neurosci Nurs vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 92-105, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/JNN.0b013e318193456b https://doi.org/10.1097/JNN.0b013e318193456b
- Park S. H., A Research on Husband's Experience who Care for Old Spouses with Stroke, Seoul Christian University, 2010.
- Kim N. H., Tae Y. S., Choi Y. S., Bae J. H., Influencing Factors on stress in Caregivers of Stroke Patients Beong Admitted in Rehabilitation Centers, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 188-201, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.2.188 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.2.188