- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A study on the Fear of falling, Activity of daily living and Quality of life for the Elderly
노인의 낙상두려움, 일상생활수행능력과 삶의 질에 관한 연구 -낙상경험유무, 만성질환유무, 거주지역별 비교-
- Kang, Ki-Seon (Department of Nursing, Cheju Halla University) ;
- Yang, Ji (Department of Physical Therapy, Sahmyook University)
- Received : 2017.06.02
- Accepted : 2017.07.07
- Published : 2017.07.31
The purpose of this study was to provide basic data for the development of fall prevention programs for the elderly and for improvement of quality of life based on history of falls, chronic diseases, location, fear of falling, daily living activities, and quality of life. This study was conducted from 15th August to 17th September of 2016 on 185 elderly subjects above the age of 65 living in four centers of J city and four centers of J rural. The results of this study are as follows: There were no statistically significant differences in daily living activities, fear of falls, and quality of life regarding falls in the past. There were statistically significant differences in fear of falling and quality of life regarding chronic diseases. There were statistically significant differences in daily living activities and quality of life regarding residence. This study confirms that there were relations among daily living activities, fear of falling, and quality of life, and there was a negative correlation between fear of falling and accomplishment of daily living activities(r=-.386, p<.000). There was also a positive correlation between accomplishment of daily living activities and quality of life(r=.513, p<.000). Therefore, avoiding outings on slippery roads and creating safe environments for the elderly are important to reduce fear of falling. Additionally, a system should be developed for the elderly to acquire necessary information for daily life.
Activity of daily living(ADL);Fear of falling(FOF);History of chronic diseases;History of falls;Quality of life(QOL)
- Statistic Korea, 2014.
- M. J. Jeon, "Comparison of Elderly Fallers and Elderly Non-fallers: Balancing Ability, Depression, and Quality of Life", Dept. of Ergonomic Therapy The Graduate School: Health and Environment Yonsei University, 2014.
- J. M. Hausdorff, H. K. Edelberg, S. L. Mitchell, A. L. Goldberger, J. Y. Wei, "Increased gait unsteadiness in community-dwelling elderly fallers", Arch Phys Med Rehabil, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 278-283, Mar. 1997. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(97)90034-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(97)90034-4
- L. E. Powell, A. M. Myers, "The Activities-specific Balance Confidence (ABC) scale", J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, vol. 50A, no. 1, pp. 28-34, Jan. 1995. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/50A.1.M28 https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/50A.1.M28
- C. L. Arfken, H. W. Lach, S. J. Birge, J. P. Miller, "The prevalence and correlattes of fear of falling in elderly persons living in the community", Am J Public Health, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 565-570, Apr. 1994. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.84.4.565 https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.84.4.565
- K. Hill, J. Schwarz, "Assesment and Management of falls in older people", J Interrn Med, vol. 34, no. 9-10 pp. 557-564, Sep. 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1445-5994.2004.00668.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1445-5994.2004.00668.x
- A. C. Scheffer, M. J. Schuurmans, N. Dijk, T. Hooft, "Fear of falling: Measurement strategy, prevalence, risk factors and consequences among older person", Age and Ageing, vol. 37, Issue1 pp. 19-24, Jan. 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afm169 https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afm169
- K. S. Kang, "The Effects of the Fall Prevention Exercise Program Focussed on Activity of daily living, Fear of fall and Quality of life for the Senior Citizen Center Elderly", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17. no. 8 pp. 267-272, Aug. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.8.267 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.8.267
- J. Yang, W. H. Lee, K. S. Kang, H. S. Kim, "The Effect of the Fall Prevention Exercise Program Focussed on Strengthening of the Lower Extremity Muscles on the Change of Physical Function and Muscle Architecture of the Elderly", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 5186-5194b, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.3.1904 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.3.1904
- F. F. Camargos, R. C. Dias, J. M. Dias, M. T. Freire, "Cross-cuntural adaptation and evaluation of the psychometric properties of the Falls Efficacy Scale - International Among Elderly Brazilians (FES-I-BRAZIL)", Rev Bras Fisioter, vol. 14, no. 3 pp. 237-243, May/June, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1590/S1413-35552010000300010 https://doi.org/10.1590/S1413-35552010000300010
- J. Howland, M. E. Lachman, E. W. Peterson, J. Cote, L. Kasten, A. Jette, "Covariates of fear of falling and associated activity curtailment", Gerontologist, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 549-555, Oct. 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/38.5.549 https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/38.5.549
- S. L. Murphy, C. S. Williams, T. M. Gill, "Characteristics associated with fear of falling and activity restriction in community-living older persons", J Am Geriatr Soc, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 516-520, Mar. 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1532-5415.2002.50119.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1532-5415.2002.50119.x
- A. M. Myers, L. E. Powell, B. E. Maki, P. J. Holliday, L. R. Brawley, W. Sherk, "Psychological indicators of balance confidence: relationship to actual and perceived abilities", J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, vol. 51A, no. 1, pp. M37-43, Jan. 1996. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/51A.1.M37 https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/51A.1.M37
- G. A. Zijlstra, J. C. van Haastregt, J. T. van Eijk, E. van Rossum, P. A. Stalenhoef, G. I. Kempen, "Prevalence and correlates of fear of falling, and associated avoidance of activity in the general population of community-living older people", Age Ageing, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 304-309, May 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afm021 https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afm021
- J. N. Choo, Jina, E. K. Kim, "Health-related Quality of Fallers vs Non-fallers in Community -dewelling Elderly People", Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 373-382, Dec. 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2012.19.3.373 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2012.19.3.373
- F. I. Mahoney, D. W. Barthel, "Functional evaluation: The Barthel index", Maryand State Medical Journal, vol. 14, pp. 61-65, Feb. 1965.
- S. K. Kim, J. I. Kim, "Activities of Daily Living, Health Related Quality of Life According to the Experience of Falls among the Aged in Community", Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 227-237, Nov. 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2011.18.2.227 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2011.18.2.227
- R. Tideiksaar, Falls in older persons: Prevention and management, Health Professions Press, 1997.
- M. Kim, "A study on the Fear of Falling, ADLand Quality of life for the Elderly at home", Department of Clinical nursing data Graduate School, Hanyang University, 2013.
- K. Y. Song, J. S. Moon, S. S. Kang, J. H. Choi, "The survey of activities and fear of falling in the community dwelling elderly", J of Korean Community Health Nursing Academic Society, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 333-344, 2001.
- C. M. Jang, "A Structual Model for Falls and Quality of Life in Elderly People Living at Home", Unpublished master's thesis, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, 2005.
- N. T. Chang, L. Y. Chi, N. P. Yang, P. J. Chou, "The impact of falls and fear of falling on health-related quality of life in Taiwanese elderly", Journal of Community Health Nursing, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 84-95, Apr. 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/07370011003704958 https://doi.org/10.1080/07370011003704958
- J. H. Yeom, J. N. Hang, "Risk Factors of Falls among Korean Elderly", J of the Korean Gerontological Society, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 577-592, 2012.
- A. J. Campbell, M. C. Robertson, "Implementation of multifactorial intervention for fall and fracture prevention", Age and Ageing, vol. 35-s2, pp. ii60-ii64. Sep. 2006.
- B. Kessel, "Hip Fracture Prevention in Postmeno -pausal Women", Obstetrical & Gynecological Survey, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 446-455, Jun. 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/00006254-200406000-00023 https://doi.org/10.1097/00006254-200406000-00023
- K. W. Choi, I. S. Lee, "Risk Factor of Falls among Korean city poor Elderly", J of Korean Nursing Academic Society, vol. 40, no. 4 pp. 589-598, Aug. 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.4.589 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.4.589
- L. Z. Rubenstein, K. R. Josephson, "Falls and prevention in elderly people: what does the evidence show?", The Medical Clinics of North America, vol. 90, no. 5, pp. 807-824. Sep. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mcna.2006.05.013
- Y. S. Lim, "The Effects of an Physical function, Depression, Social support on Quality of life for Low-income Elderly at home", Unpublished master's thesis, Yeon Sae University, Seoul. 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mcna.2006.05.013 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mcna.2006.05.013