- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Predictors of the Psychological Well-being of Nurses in small-and Medium-sized Hospital: the Mediating Effects of Emotional Intelligence
중소병원 간호사의 심리적복지감 예측요인: 감성지능의 조절효과
- Shin, So-Hong (Department of Nursing, Kyoungbuk science college) ;
- Kim, You-Jeong (Department of Nursing, Sunlin college) ;
- Kim, Chang-Tae (Department of Healthcare Administration, Dong-Eui University)
- Received : 2017.06.02
- Accepted : 2017.07.07
- Published : 2017.07.31
This study is descriptive research conducted to determine the levels of depression, emotional intelligence, and psychological well-being of nurses employed in small-and medium-sized hospitals, as well as to identify the correlations of these variables, predict factors influencing nurses' psychological well-being, and finally, test the mediating effects of emotional intelligence in the relationship between depression and psychological well-being. The subjects of the study included 336 nurses employed in small-and medium-sized hospitals located in the Daegu-Gyeongbuk region. Using a structured questionnaire, a sample was taken from December 17, 2016 to January 8, 2017. The results that the nurses showed an average level of depression with a mean score of 1.55 points, while their mean scores of emotional intelligence and psychological well-being were above average (3.05 and 3.51 scores, respectively). Depression exhibited negative (-) correlations with emotional intelligence and psychological well-being, whereas emotional intelligence had a positive (+) correlation with psychological well-being. The significant predictors of psychological well-being were found to include sleep hours (
Depression;Emotional intelligence;Medium-small sized Hospital;Nurse;Psychological well-being
- R. J. Jang, Y. S. Kang, Y. M. Kim, The relationships in emotional intelligence, job satisfaction, and quality of nursing service in hospital nurses, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 326-337, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.6.326 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.6.326
- K. O. Kim, Y. C. Cho, The relationships between emotional labour and depressive symptoms among nurses in university hospitals, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 3794-3803, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.8.3794 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.8.3794
- S. O. Chang, B. S. Lee, J. I. Kim, S. R. Shin, A delphi study to elicit policies for nurse workforce based on patient safety, Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 215-226, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.2.215 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.2.215
- E. Y. Yeom, H. O. Jeon, Relations of burnout, Interpersonal relations, Professional self-concept and depression in clinical nurses, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 2869-2879, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2869 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2869
- B. H. Sim, Y. S. Lee, S. A. Ahn, The Effect of Nonviolent Communication Program on Nurse's Interpersonal Competence, Job Stress and Spiritual Wellness, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 375-386, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.9.375 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.9.375
- D. C. Feldman, C. R. Leana, M. C. Bolino, Underemployment and relative deprivation among re-employed executives, Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 453-471, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1348/096317902321119682 https://doi.org/10.1348/096317902321119682
- C. D. Ryff, Happiness is everything, or is it? explorations on the meaning of psychological well-being, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 1069-1081, 1989. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1249 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1999
- K. S. Yoon, B. I. Seo, The influence that nursing pressure and the level o work stress management of the daegu area recuperation hospital nurses has on their psychological well-being, The journal of Jehan Oriental Medical Academy, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 167-205, 2012.
- Y. S. Lee, W. S. Choi, A study on the role-conflicts and psychological well-being of women who belong to women's organizations, Korean Journal of Family Welfare, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 201-218, 2011.
- Y. J. Kim, J. S. An, The effects of life events and social support in pre-adulthood on psychological well-being in mid adulthood, Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 445-461, 2011.
- G. H. Han, J. Y. Son, Retirement process, economic and relational resources, and psychological well-being of Korean baby boomers: A focus on gender differences, Korean Journal of Family Social Work, 38, pp. 291-330, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.16975/kjfsw.2012..38.010 https://doi.org/10.16975/kjfsw.2012..38.010
- A. S. Lee, C. K. Yoon, J. M. Lee, Influence of ego-resilience and social support on the depression of hospital nurses, Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 46-54, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.1.46 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.1.46
- B. J. Jeon, Effects of unemployed youths social exclusion on psychological well-being: Focused on the moderating effects of employment policy trust, Social Science Research Review, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 197-224, 2013.
- H. D. Desai, M. W. Jann, Major depression in women: a review of the literature, Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 525-537, 2000.
- J. Kliszcz, K. Nowicka-Sauer, B. Trzeciak, A. Sadowska, The level of anxiety, depression and aggression in nurses and their life and job satisfaction, Medycyna Pracy, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 461-168, 2004.
- W. H. Jun, E. S. Lee, K. L. Lee, Relationships among gratitude, depression, and psychological well-being in clinical nurses, The Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 136-144, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2015.24.2.136 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2015.24.2.136
- J. H. Kim, M. Y. Hyun, The moderating effects of social support between job stress and job satisfaction in staff nurses, Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 108-117, 2005.
- E. Lee, S. S. Chang, Factors influencing depression of nurses among comprehensive nursing care service ward, Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 340-351, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2016.25.4.340 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2016.25.4.340
- E. J. Lee, S. W. Shin, The effect of health promotion behavior on fatigue and depression among shift nurses, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 2256-2264, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.4.2256 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.4.2256
- P. Salovey, J. Maye, Emotional intelligence, imagination, cognition and personality, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 185-211, 1990. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2190/DUGG-P24E-52WK-6CDG https://doi.org/10.2190/DUGG-P24E-52WK-6CDG
- M. J. Rosa, Emotional skill-key components in the interpersonal relationship, Journal of Public Administration and Governance, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 237-251, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5296/jpag.v1i1.737 https://doi.org/10.5296/jpag.v1i1.737
- Y. S. Kim, E. J. Oh, Relationship among emotional intelligence, critical thinking and major satisfaction in nursing students, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 103-111, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.7.103 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.7.103
- H. S. Kang, Y. Y. Kim, Influence of the emotional intelligence, communication competence and stress coping on turnover intention in psychiatric nurses, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 141-151, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.1.141 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.1.141
- C. S. Wong, S. L. Law, The effects of leader and follower emotional intelligence on performance and attitude: an exploratory study, The Leadership Quarterly, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 243-274, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1
- G. Benson, J. Ploeg, & B. Brown, A cross sectional study of emotional intelligence in baccalaureate nursing students, Nurse Education Today, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 49-53, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2009.06.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2009.06.006
- S. Y. Han, Y. M. Lee, The effect of emotional intelligence on organization communication satisfaction and job satisfaction, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 5493-5499, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.12.5493 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.12.5493
- E. S. Jung, J. H. Ha. Mediating Effects of Help-Seeking and Concealment on the Relations between Perfectionism and Depression, Anxiety in University Students, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 671-681, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.671 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.671
- J. Battle, Relationship between self-esteem and depression, Psychological Reports, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 745-746, 1978. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19188.8.131.525 https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19184.108.40.2065
- Y. H. Lee, J. Y. Song, A study of the reliability and the validity of the BDI, SDS, and MMPI-D scales, Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 98-113, 1991.
- H. W. Jung, Empirical study on the effect og emotional intelligence on organizational effectiveness, PhD thesis, Pusan University, Pusan, 2007.
- H. Y. Baek, The Effects of Social Support and Satisfaction of Leisure Activities on Psychological Well-being of the Aged Participating in Senior Citizen's Center : Focusing on the Mediating Effect of Satisfaction of Leisure Activities, Social Science Research Review, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 73-92, 2012.
- S. M. Lim, A study on the effect of the social support and depression of the elderly on a sense of psychological wellbeing: Based on the elderly who use the welfare facilities for senior citizens in north area of Gyeonggi-do, master's thesis, Seoul Christian University, Seoul, 2013.
- S. J. Kim, S. H. Yu, S. Y. Kim, D. W. Kim, I. H. Cho, S. J. Cho, Alexithymia in Major Depressive Disorder and Subclinical Depression, Korean Journal of Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 100-106, 2007.
- J. W. JUN, Impacts of Story Empathy and Affect from Retrospective Drama on Psychological Comfort and Depression: A Focus on 'Reply 1988', Health Communication Research, 15, pp. 99-123, 2016.
- J. M. Bae, A Comparative Study on the Relationship among Posttraumatic Stress, Psychological Wellbeing and Depression: Focusing on the Moderating Effects of Social Support for Policemen and Firefighters, vol. 27, no. 3, The Korean Association for Local Government & Administration Studies, pp. 277-306, 2013. https://doi.org/10.18398/kjlgas.2013.27.3.277
- D. Watson, P. C. Kendall, Understanding anxiety and depression: Their relation to negative and positive affective states, In P. C. Kendall & D. Watson (Eds.), Anxiety and depression: Distinctive and overlapping features, San Diego, CA: Academic Press, X viii, pp. 3-26, 1989.
- J. H, Seo, Relationships of psychotherapist's emotional intelligence, job stress and burnout, The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Psychology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 233-250, 2014.
- H. R. Kim, H. W. Jung, The Effects of Emotional Leadership on Positive Psychological Capital and Commitment to Change: The Mediating Effect of Positive Psychological Capital, Korean Academy of Human Resource Management, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 1-30, 2013.
- I. Park, K. C. Song, The Mediating Effects of Psychological Capital in the Relationship Between Emotional Intelligence and Organizational Members' Behavior, Journal of management & economics, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 1-30, 2013.
- E. J. Chang, A study on correlation among university students' spirituality, emotion, and depression, master's thesis, Yonse University, Seoul, 2006.
- H. N. Lee, The influencing factors of optimism and emotional intelligence on depression among undergraduate students, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 177-185, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.11.177 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.11.177
- Y. J. Son, Y. R. Park, Relationships between sleep quality, Fatigue and depression on health promoting behavior by shift-work patterns in university hospital nurses, Journal of korean biological nursing science, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 229-237, 2011.
- S. H. Yoon, Occupational stress and depression in clinical nurses: Using korean occupational stress scales, Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 463-470, 2009.
- J. H. Jeon, Y. H. Yom, Roles of Empowerment and emotional intelligence in the relationship between job embeddedness and turnover intension among general hospital nurses, The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 303-313, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.302 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.302
- S. M. Park, O. I. Park, H. Moon, The Effect of the Emotional Intelligence on the Relationship between Emotional Labor and Turnover Intention of the General Hospital Nurses, Health and Social Welfare Review, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 540-564, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2013.33.3.540 https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2013.33.3.540
- O. S. Lee, M. O. Gu, M. J. Kim, Influence of emotional intelligence and ego resilience on interpersonal relationship of nurses, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 3902-3910, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.3902 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.3902
- Y. S. Im, J. H. Kim, H. J. Kwon, Relationships among Bullying in Workplace, Burnout, and Emotional Intelligence of Korean Physician Assistant (PA) Nurses, The Korea Contents Society, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 703-713, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.02.703 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.02.703
- H. R. Ko, J. H. Kim, The Relationships among Emotional Intelligence, Interpersonal Relationship, and Job Satisfaction of Clinical Nurses, The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 413-423, 2014. DOI: http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE02497977 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.3.413
- S. J. Lee, The effects of self-leadership, emotional intelligence, organizational commitment, and job satisfaction on the nursing performance of clinical nurses, PhD thesis, University of Brain Education, Chungcheongnam-do, 2015.
- Y. H. Choi, Y. S. Yang, A study learning environment and psychologicsl well being of teachers in educare center, Natural Science, 21, pp. 33-50, 2010.
- M. S. Park, Influence of rural elderly' life stress and psychological wellbeing on depression, master's thesis, Daegu Haany University, Gyeongbuk, 2016.
- M. Y. Lee, S. H. Park, S. K. Moon, A Study or Variables that Affected Day Care Center Teacher's Psychological Well-Being, Early Childhood Education Research & Review, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 277-294, 2008.