- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Experiences and Meaning of Mentoring for Multicultural Children among Lower Nursing Students
저학년 간호대학생의 다문화아동 멘토링 경험과 의미
- Park, Hye-Sook (Department of Nursing, Dongyang University) ;
- Lee, Kyung-Ha (Department of Early Childhood Education, Dongyang University)
- Received : 2017.06.09
- Accepted : 2017.07.07
- Published : 2017.07.31
The purpose of this study is to explore the experiences and meaning of nursing students participating in a multicultural children mentoring program and to find out how mentoring activities can contribute to the cultural competence of future nurses. This study was based on a qualitative research design through reflective journals and in-depth interviews. From March 20 to June 30, 2016, we collected data from 10 nursing students who participated in a mentoring program for multicultural children. The research question was what was the experience of nursing students participating in multicultural children mentoring? Reflective journals were created individually before participating in mentoring activities and after 10 mentoring activities. In-depth interviews were conducted with three participants to clarify the meaning of their reflective journal and identify the implications of additional mentoring activity experiences after the completion of the mentoring activities. The results were obtained for 3 central themes; Breaking the prejudice against cultural diversity, Understanding the reality of multicultural children, and Acquiring experience for the sake of growth. The results of this study can be used as the basic data for the development of a nursing education program for the purpose of enhancing the cultural competence of nursing students.
Child;Cultural diversity;Experiences;Mentoring;Nursing students
Supported by : 동양대학교
- Ministry of Justice, Monthly statistics of immigration policy, p. 3, Feb. 2017[Internet] Available from http://www.moi.go.kr/HP/COM/bbs_03/ShowData.do?strNbodCd=noti0097&strWrtNo=222&strAnsNo=A&strFilePath=moj/&strRtnURL=MOJ_40402000&strOrgGbnCd=104000 (accessed Apr. 5, 2017)
- Statistics Korea, Total population[Internet] Available from http://www.index.go.kr/potal/main/EachDtlPageDetail.do?idx_cd=1009 (accessed Apr. 5, 2017)
- Statistics Korea, Multicultural Population Statistics in 2015, p.14 [Internet] [cited Press Releases, Nov. 16, 2016] Available from http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/2/1/index.board?bmode=read&aSeq=357476 (accessed Apr. 5, 2017)
- Statistics Korea, & Ministry of Gender Equality and Family, Youth Statistics in 2017, p. 14 [Internet] [cited Press Releases, Apr. 17, 2017] Available from http://kosis.kr/ups/ups_02List.jsp (accessed Apr. 5, 2017)
- Ministry of Education, Announcement of Multicultural Student Education Support Plan in 2015 [Internet] [cited Press Releases, Mar. 17, 2015] Available from http://www.moe.go.kr/boardCnts/view.do?boardID=339&lev=0&statusYN=C&s=moe&m=02&opType=N&boardSeq=58722 (accessed Apr. 5, 2017)
- S. O. Park, "A study for planning and Managing a Mentor Program for Multicultural children: Based on a real case", Journal of Multi-Cultural Contents Studies, vol. 14, pp. 45-78, Apr. 2013.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, Multicultural Student education support plan in 2011, [Internet] [cited Press Releases, May. 25, 2011] Available from http://www.moe.go.kr/boardCnts/view.do?boardID=343&lev=0&statusYN=W&s=moe&m=030209&opType=N&boardSeq=33609 (accessed Apr. 5, 2017)
- Ministry of Gender Equality and Family, Multicultural Family Support Center, Available from http://www.mogef.go.kr/cs/mcf/cs_mcf_f001.do (accessed Apr. 5, 2017)
- K. W. Yoon, & J. E. Uhm, "A Qualitative study of cross-cultural mentoring-Mentoring as the everyday practice of multiculturalism-", Korean Journal of Sociology of Education, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 101-124, 2009.
- K. Y. Kim, "A case Study of Mentor's "Accompained Growth" in Multicultural Mentoring Program", Multicultural Education Studies, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 29-50, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.14328/MES.2014.03.31.029
- H. N. Kim, & H. S. Kim, "A study on mentor participated in a multiculture mentoring program: using focus froup interviews", Multicultural Education Review, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 91-113, 2012.
- M. S. Park, & Y. S. Kim, "A study on the participation experience of Mentors through the process of multicultural mentoring program", Journal of Learning-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 967-989, 2016.
- G. H. Jeong, K. A. Nam, Y. H. Kim, H. S. Park, & S. H. Kim, Transcultural Nursing, pp. 13-210. XMLARCHIVE, Chuncheon, 2011.
- P. E. zander, "Cultural competence: analyzing the construct", The Journal of Theory Construction & Testing, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 50-54, 2007.
- J. Y. Min, Multicultural nursing experience in Korea. Hallym University, Master's Thesis, 2014.
- E. M, Lee, & S. H. Kim, "Influence of Multicultural Awareness and Cultural Sensitivity on Intetcultural Communication Skills of the Korean Nursing Students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 459-468, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.4.459 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.4.459
- I. S. Lee, & J. Y. Cho, "A Study on the Cultural Competency and Demand for a Multicultural Education Program among Nursing College Students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 283-290, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.1.283 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.1.283
- J. Bruner, "The Role of Reflection in Learning to Teach", In L. Valli(Ed.), Reflective teacher education, pp. 139-146. Albany: State University of New York Press.
- H. F. Wolcott, Transforming Qualitative Data: Description, Analysis, and Interpretation. Sage, London, 1994.
- Y. C. Kim, Qualitative Research for Education, pp. 10-694, Academypress, Paju, 2016.
- R. Dyer, The matter of images: essays on representation(second edition), Routledge, London, 2002.
- H. Y. Cho, D. H. Seo, & S. H. Kwon, "An Ethnographic Study on the Academic performance of Children of Migrants", Korean Journal of Sociology of Education, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 105-134, 2008.
- K. E. Kram, "Phases of Mentor Relationship", Academy of Management Journal, vol. 26, pp. 608-625, 1983. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/255910 https://doi.org/10.2307/255910
- H. M. Kang, A Study on Building Multicultural Competencies for Multicultural Mentoring Prarticipants. Inha University, Master's Thesis, 2013.
- J. H. Lim, & B. S. Park, "The study on experiential meaning of multicultural mentoring as an intercultural learning", Youth Culture Forum, vol. 43, pp. 86-108, July 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17854/ffyc.2015.07.43.85 https://doi.org/10.17854/ffyc.2015.07.43.85
- S. K. Oh, & M. S. Kim, "Exploring the intercultural competency of mentors who paritcipated in multicultural mentoring", Journal of Multiculture & Peace, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 116-133, Aug. 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.22446/mnpisk.2016.10.2.006 https://doi.org/10.22446/mnpisk.2016.10.2.006