- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Definition and measurement of S-curve based technological discontinuity : case of technological substitution of logic semiconductors
S곡선 기반 기술적 불연속성(Technological discontinuity)의 정의 및 측정 : 로직 반도체의 기술대체 사례
- Park, Changhyun (Office of R&D Budget and Feasibility Analysis, KISTEP(Korea Institute of S&T Evaluation and Planning))
- 박창현 (한국과학기술기획평가원 재정투자분석본부)
- Received : 2017.05.01
- Accepted : 2017.07.07
- Published : 2017.07.31
The phenomenon of technological discontinuity which occurs during technological diffusion and substitution between incumbents and new technology is important to understand the behavior of technology diffusion and substitution of single and multiple technologies. Our research defined the concept of technological discontinuity and developed a model capable of measuring the region of technological discontinuity. Based on a literature review and a model development, we proposed a definition and a model regarding technological discontinuity.The accuracy of the model is verified by applying it on a semiconductor industry case. The technological discontinuity is defined as the region in which both the incumbent and new technology co-exist and the performance of the incumbent technology is better than that of the new technology. In addition, we can model the technological discontinuity using discontinuous time and discontinuous performance. This research will be very useful to understand not only technological discontinuity but also technology diffusion or substitution.
Technological discontinuity;Discontinuous time;Discontinuous performance;Diffusion;Substitution
- J. A. Schumpeter, Capitalism, Socialism, and Democracy, New York: Harper Brothers, 1942.
- Y. T. Park, Management of Technological Knowledge for Next Generation Innovation, Life and Power Press, 2007.
- R. N. Foster, Innovation: The attacker's advantage, Summit Books, 1986. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-322-83742-4
- M. A. Schilling, Strategic management of technological innovation, McGraw-Hill Education, 2010.
- K. W. Nam et al., "A Study on Technological Forecasting of Next-Generation Display Technology", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 2923-2934, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.10.2923 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.10.2923
- P. Anderson and M. L. Tushman, "Technological discontinuities and dominant designs: A cyclical model of technological change", Administrative Science Quarterly, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 604-633, 1990. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/2393511 https://doi.org/10.2307/2393511
- E. Ehrnberg, "On the definition and measurement of technological discontinuities", Technovation, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 437-452, 1995. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0166-4972(95)96593-I https://doi.org/10.1016/0166-4972(95)96593-I
- C. M. Christensen, "Exploring the limits of the technology S‐curve. Part II: Architectural technologies", Production and Operations Management, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 358-366, 1992b. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1937-5956.1992.tb00002.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1937-5956.1992.tb00002.x
- M. Nieto et al., "Performance analysis of technology using the S curve model: the case of digital signal processing (DSP) technologies", Technovation, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 439-457, 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-4972(98)00021-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-4972(98)00021-2
- R. U. Ayres, "Toward a non-linear dynamics of technological progress", Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 35-69, 1994. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-2681(94)90053-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-2681(94)90053-1
- P. Kapur et al., "Determining adoption pattern with pricing using two-dimensional innovation diffusion model", The Journal of High Technology Management Research, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 136-146, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hitech.2010.05.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hitech.2010.05.001
- C. H. Park, "A study on technology diffusion trend considering technological performance enhancement and economics : case of technology evolution of 32nm, 22nm, 14nm logic semiconductors", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 177-184, 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.2.177 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.2.177
- R. M. Henderson and K. B. Clark, "Architectural innovation: The reconfiguration of existing product technologies and the failure of established firms", Administrative Science Quarterly, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 9-30, 1990. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/2393549 https://doi.org/10.2307/2393549
- L. Fleming and O. Sorenson, "Navigating the technology landscape of innovation", MIT Sloan Management Review, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 15-24, 2003.
- C. M. Christensen, "Exploring the limits of the technology S‐curve. Part I: component technologies", Production and Operations Management, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 334-357, 1992a. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1937-5956.1992.tb00001.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1937-5956.1992.tb00001.x
- K. M. Eisenhardt, "Building theories from case study research", Academy of Management Review, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 532-550, 1989. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/258557 https://doi.org/10.2307/258557
- R. K. Yin, Case Study Research: Design and Methods, Sage publications, Inc., 2009.
- S. H. Park, "A Study on Diffusion Models Capturing Technological Substitution", Asia Marketing Journal, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 46-70, 2001.
- N. Siggelkow, "Persuasion with case studies", The Academy of Management Journal Archive, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 20-24, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2007.24160882 https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2007.24160882