- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Seismic Fragility of Sewage Pipes Considering Site Response in Korean, Seoul Site
국내 서울지역의 부지응답해석을 고려한 하수도관의 지진취약도
- Shin, Dea-Sub (Department of Civil Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Kim, Hu-Seung (Department of Civil Engineering, University of Seoul)
- Received : 2017.04.21
- Accepted : 2017.07.07
- Published : 2017.07.31
The number of damaged lifeline structures have been increasing with urban acceleration under earthquakes. To predict the damage, damage mitigation technology of lifeline structures should be analyzed using damage prediction technology. Therefore, in this paper, the degree of the fragility of structures under an earthquake was evaluated stochastically through an evaluation of the seismic fragility. The aim was to develop damage prediction technology of sewage pipes among the lifeline facilities. The site response was performed using the data from 158 boreholes in Seoul and 7 real earthquake waves to determine the responses in real urban areas. The seismic fragility was deduced through a total of 29822 time history analysis. In addition, sewer pipes were evaluated and the persisting period was passed by applying the research results of strength reduction which is due to sulphate erosion. As a result, the difference in failure probability between 300 and 800 with the smaller diameter of the representative pipes was approximately double and the size of the pipes has a significant effect on the seismic fragility function. Moreover, the failure probability of a seismic load increases by up to 10 fold as the strength reduction rate increases. The results of this study can be used as a means of predicting the damage and countermeasures of sewer pipes and might be reflected in the seismic design of underground facilities.
Lifeline Structures;Seismic Fragility;Site Responses;Sewer Pipes;Urban Area
- K. H. Lee, "Historical Earthquake Data of Korean", Journal of the Korea Geophysical Society, v.1, n.1, pp. 3-22, 1998.
- M. Ozaki, A. Okazaki, K. Tomomoto, T. Iba, R. Satoh, H. Nanba, H. seya, K. Moriyama, T. Ugata, "Improved Response Factor Methods for Seismic Fragility of Reactor Building", Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 185, pp. 277-291, 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(98)00237-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(98)00237-4
- M. Dan, P. R. Ghiocel, G. G. Wilson, J. D. Thomas, "Seismic response and fragility valuation for an Eastern US NPP including soil-structure interaction effects", Reliability Engineering and System Safety, vol. 62, pp. 197-214, 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0951-8320(98)00020-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0951-8320(98)00020-9
- K. Bhargava, A. K. Ghosh, M. K. Agrawal, R. Patnaik, S. Ramanujam, H. S. Kushwaha, "Evaluation of Seismic Fragility of Structures-a case study", Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 212, pp. 253-272, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(01)00491-5 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(01)00491-5
- Idriss, I. M. Sun, J. I. "User's Manual for SHAKE91," Center for Geotechnical Modeling, Department of Civil Engineering, University of California, Davis, 1992.
- D. Park, Y.M.A. Hashash, "Soil damping formulation in nonlinear time domain site response analysis", Journal of Earthquake Engineering, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 249-274, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460409350489 https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460409350489
- Seed, H.B. Idriss, I.M. "Soil moduli and damping factors for dynamic response analyses", Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Berkeley, Report no. EERC 70-10, 1970.
- D. S. Kim, Y. W. Choo, "Dynamic Deformation Characteristics of Cohesionless Soils in Korea Using Resonant Column Tests", Korean Geotechnical Society, vol. 17 no. 5, pp. 115-128, 2001.
- S. T. Lee, "Evaluation on the Performance of Silica Fume Blended Cement Matrix Exposed to External Sulfate Attack" Journal of The Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance and Inspection, vol. 11 no. 4, pp. 121-128, 2007.
- S. H. Bae, J. I. Park, K. M. Lee, "Influence of Mineral Admixtures on the Resistance to Sulfuric Acid and Sulfate Attack in Concrete" Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 219-228, April, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2010.22.2.219 https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2010.22.2.219