- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
In-situ measurement of railway-traffic induced vibrations nearby the liquid-storage tank
- Goktepe, Fatih (Department of Civil Engineering, Engineering Faculty, Bartin University) ;
- Kuyuk, Huseyin S. (Department of Civil Engineering, Engineering Faculty, Sakarya University) ;
- Celebi, Erkan (Department of Civil Engineering, Engineering Faculty, Sakarya University)
- Received : 2017.03.12
- Accepted : 2017.05.25
- Published : 2017.05.25
In this study, result of a field investigation of railway traffic-induced vibrations is provided to examine acceptability levels of ground vibration and to evaluate the serviceability of a liquid-storage tank. Free field attenuation of the amplitudes as a function of distance is derived by six accelerometers and compared with a well-known half-space Bornitz's analytical solution which considers the loss of the amplitude of waves due to geometrical damping and material damping of Rayleigh. Bornitz's solution tends to overlap vertical free field vibration compared with in-situ measured records. The vibrations of the liquid-storage tank were compared with the USA, Federal Transportation Railroad Administration (FTA) criteria for acceptable ground-borne vibrations and with the criteria in DIN 4150-3 German standard. Comparing the thresholds stated in DIN 4150-3, absolute peak particle velocities are within the safe limits, however according to FTA velocity level at the top of the water tank exceeds the allowable limits. Furthermore, it is intended to indicate experimentally the effect of the kinematic interaction caused by the foundation of the structure on the free-field vibrations.
response of liquid-storage tank;railway traffic;in situ measurements;free field vibrations
- Adam, M. and Estorff, O. von. (2005), "Reduction of traininduced building vibrations by using open and filled trenches", Comput. Struct., 83(1), 11-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2004.08.010
- Adam, M., Pflanz, G. and Schmid, G. (2000), "Two-and threedimensional modeling of half-space and train-track embankment under dynamic loading", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 19(8), 559-573. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0267-7261(00)00068-3
- Adolfsson, K., Andreasson, B., Bengtson, P.E., Bodare, A., Madshus, C., Massarch, R., Wallmark, G. and Zackrisson, P. (1999), "High speed lines on soft ground. evaluation and analyses of measurements from the West Coast Line", Technical Report, Banverket, Sweden.
- Amick, H. and Gendreau, M. (2000), "Construction vibrations and their impact on vibration sensitive facilities", ASCE Construction Congress 6, Orlando, Florida USA.
- Arman, H and Gunduz, Z (2005), "Some geotechnical characteristics of Adapazari Region, Turkey", Proceedings of the International Conference on Problematic Soils, Eastern Mediterranean University, Famagusta, North Cyprus, May.
- Auersch, L. (1989), "Forschungsbericht 155", Bundesanstalt fur Materialforschung und-prufung, Berlin, Zur Entstehung und Ausbreitung von Schienenverkehrserschutterungen-theoretische Untersuchungen und Messungen an Hochgeschwindigkeitszug Intercity Experimental.
- Auersch, L. (2010), "Theoretical and experimental excitation force spectra for railway-induced ground vibration: vehicle-track-soil interaction, irregularities and soil measurements", Vehicle Syst. Dyn. J., 48(2), 235-261. https://doi.org/10.1080/00423110802691515
- Bornitz, G. (1931), "Uber die Ausbreitung der von Groszkolbenmashinen Erzeugten Bodenschwingen in die Tiefe", Springler, Berlin, Germany.
- Branderhorst, J. (1997), "Modellen voor het boeggolfprobleem bij hogesnelheidstreinen", Ontwerp en validatie met behulp van de resultaten van de proef Amsterdam-Utrecht, Master's Thesis, University of Twente, Enschede, Netherlands.
- Bratov, V., Petrov, Y., Semenov, B. and Darienko, I. (2015), "Modelling the high-speed train induced dynamic response of railway embankment", Mater. Phys. Mech., 22, 69-77.
- Celebi, E. and Goktepe, F. (2012), "Non-linear 2-D FE analysis for the assessment of isolation performance of wave impeding barrier in reduction of railway-induced surface waves", Constr. Build. Mater., 36, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.04.054
- Celebi, E. and Schmid, G. (2005), "Investigation of ground vibrations induced by moving loads", Eng. Struct., 27(14), 1981-1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.05.011
- Connolly, D., Giannopoulos, A. and Forde, M.C. (2013), "Numerical modelling of ground borne vibrations from high speed rail lines on embankments", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 46, 13-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2012.12.003
- Connolly, D.P., Kouroussis, G., Woodward, P.K., Giannopoulos, A., Verlinden, O. and Forde, M.C. (2014), "Scoping prediction of re-radiated ground-borne noise and vibration near high speed rail lines with variable soils", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 66, 78-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2014.06.021
- Connolly, D.P., Costa, P.A., Kouroussis, G., Galvin, P., Woodward, P.K. and Laghrouche, O. (2015), "Large scale international testing of railway ground vibrations across Europe", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 71, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2015.01.001
- Crispino, M. and D'apuzzo, M. (2001), "Measurement and prediction of traffic-induced vibrations in a heritage building", J. Sound Vib., 246(2), 319-335. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.2001.3648
- Cruzado, H.J. and Letchford, C. (2013), "Full-scale experiments of cantilever traffic signal structures", Wind Struct., 17(1), 99-123.
- Cruzado, H.J., Letchford, C. and Kopp, G.A. (2013), "Wind tunnel studies of cantilever traffic signal structures", Wind Struct., 16(3), 59-67.
- Degrande, G. and Schillemans, L. (2001), "Free field vibrations during the passage of a Thalys HST at variable speed", J. Sound Vib., 247(1), 131-144. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.2001.3718
- Deutsche Norm, DIN 4150-3 (1999), "Structural Vibration: Part 3: Effects of vibration on Structures", Germany.
- FTA-Feral Transit Administration Report. (2012), "High-Speed Ground Transportation Noise and Vibration Impact Assessment", USA.
- Galvin, P. and Dominguez, J. (2009), "Experimental and numerical analyses of vibrations induced by high-speed trains on the Cordoba-Malaga line", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 29(4), 641-657. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2008.07.001
- Hamdan, N., Laghrouche, O., Woodward, P.K. and Mahmood, M.S. (2015), "Ground vibration reduction analysis using a frequency-domain finite element approach", Constr. Build. Mater., 92, 95-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.04.140
- Jones, C.J.C. and Block, J.R. (1996), "Prediction of ground vibration from freight trains", J. Sound Vib., 193(1), 205-213. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1996.0260
- Kim, J., Kang, J.W., Jung, H. and Pack, S.W. (2015), "Effects of traffic-induced vibrations on bridge-mounted overhead sign structures", Struct. Eng. Mech., 55(2), 365-377. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.55.2.365
- Kouroussis, G., Connolly, D.P. and Verlinden, O. (2014a), "Railway-induced ground vibrations-a review of vehicle effects", Int. J. Rail Transport., 2(2), 69-110. https://doi.org/10.1080/23248378.2014.897791
- Kouroussis, G., Conti, C. and Verlinden, O. (2014b), "Building vibrations induced by human activities: a benchmark of existing standards", Mech. Indust., 15(5), 345-353. https://doi.org/10.1051/meca/2014041
- Kouroussis, G. and Verlinden, O. (2013), "Prediction of railway induced ground vibration through multibody and finite element modelling", Mech. Sci., 4(1), 167-183. https://doi.org/10.5194/ms-4-167-2013
- Krylov, V.V. (1996), "Vibration impact of high-speed trains effects of track dynamics", J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 100(5), 3121-3133. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.417123
- Li, Z., Li, S., Lv, J. and Li, H. (2015), "Condition assessment for high-speed railway bridges based on train-induced strain response", Struct. Eng. Mech., 54(2), 199-219. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.54.2.199
- Lombaert, G., Degrande, G., Kogut, J. and Francois, S. (2006), "The experimental validation of a numerical model for the prediction of railway induced vibrations", J. Sound Vib., 297(3), 512-535. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2006.03.048
- Massarsch, K.R. (2000), "Settlements and damage caused by construction-induced vibration", Proceedings of international workshop wave 2000, Chouw N, Schmid G, editors, pp. 299-315, Bochum, Germany, Balkema, Rotterdam, 13-15 December 2000.
- Park, J.H., Huynh, T.C., Lee, K.S. and Kim, J.T. (2016), "Wind and traffic-induced variation of dynamic characteristics of a cable-stayed bridge-benchmark study", Smart Struct. Syst., 17(3), 491-522. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2016.17.3.491
- Peplow, A.T., Jones, C.J.C. and Petyt, M. (1999), "Surface vibration propagation over a layered elastic half-space with an inclusion", Appl. Acoust., 56(4), 283-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-682X(98)00031-0
- Rezvani, M.A., Vesali, F. and Eghbali, A. (2013), "Dynamic response of railway bridges traversed simultaneously by opposing moving trains", Struct. Eng. Mech., 46(5), 713-734. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.46.5.713
- Riedman, M., Sinh, H.N., Letchford, C. and O' Rourke, M. (2015), "Full-scale investigation of wind-induced vibrations of a mastarm traffic signalstructure", Wind Struct., 20(3), 405-422. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2015.20.3.405
- Senalp, A.D., Arikoglu, A., Ozkol, I. and Dogan, V.Z. (2010), "Dynamic response of a finite length euler-bernoulli beam on linear and nonlinear viscoelastic foundations to a concentrated moving force", J. Mech. Sci. Technol., 24(10), 1957-1961. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-010-0704-x
- Takemiya, H. and Bian, X. (2005), "Substructure simulation of inhomogeneous track and layered ground dynamic interaction under train passage", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 131(7), 699-711. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2005)131:7(699)
- Vostroukhov, A.V. and Metrikine, A.V. (2003), "Periodically supported beam on a visco-elastic layer as a model for dynamic analysis of a high-speed railway track", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 40(21), 5723-5752. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(03)00311-1
- Waddington, D., Woodcock, J., Smith, M.G., Janssen, S. and Waye, K.P. (2015), "CargoVibes: human response to vibration due to freight rail traffic", Int. J. Rail Transport., 3(4), 233-248. https://doi.org/10.1080/23248378.2015.1076623
- Xia, H., Chen, J., Wei, P., Xia, C., De Roeck, G. and Degrande, G. (2009), "Experimental investigation of railway train-induced vibrations of surrounding ground and a nearby multi-story building", J. Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 8(1), 137-148. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-009-8101-0
- Xia, H., Zhang, N. and Cao, Y.M. (2005), "Experimental study of train-induced vibrations of environments and buildings", J. Sound Vib., 280(3-5), 1017-1029. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2004.01.006
- Yang, B.Y. and Hung, H.H. (2001), "A 2.5D finite/infinite element approach for modeling viscoelastic bodies subjected to moving loads", Int. J. Numer. Method. Eng., 51(11), 1317-1336. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.208
- Yang, Y.B., Hung, H.H. and Chang, D.W. (2003), "Train-induced wave propagation in layered soils using finite/infinite element simulation", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 23(4), 263-278. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0267-7261(03)00003-4
- Zhai, W., Wei, K., Song, X. and Shao, M. (2015), "Experimental investigation into ground vibrations induced by very high speed trains on a non-ballasted track", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 72, 24-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2015.02.002