- Volume 12 Issue 5
Slender structures like reinforced concrete (RC) chimneys are severely damaged or collapsed during severe wind storms or strong ground motions all over the world. Today, with the improvement in technology and industry, most factories need these slender structures with increasing height and decreasing in shell thickness causing vulnerable to winds and earthquakes. Main objectives in this study are to make structural wind and earthquake analysis of RC chimneys by using a well-known international standard CICIND 2001 and real recorded time history accelerations and to clarify weak points of these tall and slender structures against these severe natural actions. Findings of this study show that maximum tensile stress and shear stress approximately increase 103.90% and 312.77% over or near the openings on the body of the RC chimneys that cause brittle failure around this region of openings.
- Abdullah, R.M. (2011), "Wind load effects on concrete tower during construction", Eur. J. Scientific Res., 54(3), 339-346.
- ACI 307/98 with Commentary (1998), Design and Construction of Reinforced Concrete Chimneys, American Concrete Institute Committee 307, USA.
- Ahuja, A.K., Dalui, S.K., Ahuja, R. and Gupta, V.K. (2005), "Effect of interference on the wind environment around highrise buildings", J. Wind Eng. Sci., 2(1), 1-8.
- Aliyazicioglu, C. (2004), "Structural analysis and design of reinforced concrete structures with different methods as a synthesis study", MS Thesis, Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon.
- Arunachalam, S. and Lakshmanan, N. (2015), "Across-wind response of tall circular chimneys to vortex shedding", J. Wind Eng. Indust. Aerodyn., 145, 187-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2015.06.005
- Aydogan, M. and Hasgur, Z. (1988), Reinforced Concrete Chimneys, Istanbul Technical University Press, Istanbul, Turkey.
- CICIND 2001 with Commentary (2001), Model Code for Concrete Chimneys, Part A: Shell, Second Edition, Comite International des Cheminees Industrielles, Revision 1, UK.
- Danis, H. and Gorgun, M. (2005), "Marmara Earthquake and fire of Tupras", Symposium of Earthquake, Kocaeli, Turkey, March. (in Turkish)
- Elias, S., Matsagar, V. and Datta, T.K. (2016), "Effectiveness of distributed tuned mass dampers for multi-mode control of chimney under earthquakes", Eng. Struct., 124, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.06.006
- Gould, P.L., Huang, W., Martinez, R. and Johnson, G.S. (2004), "Nonlinear analysis of a collapsed heater stack", 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, August.
- Huang, W. and Gould, P.L. (2007), "3-D pushover analysis of a collapsed reinforced concrete chimney", Finite Element. Anal. Des., 43(11), 879-887. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.finel.2007.05.005
- Ipekci, O. (1987), "Reinforced concrete chimneys and hyperbolic cooling towers and their designing principals", MS Thesis, Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon.
- Jayalekshmi, B.R., Thomas, A. and Shivashankar, R. (2014), "Dynamic soil-structure interaction studies on 275 m tall industrial chimney with openings", Earthq. Struct., 7(2), 233-250. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.2.233
- Jayalekshmi, B.R., Jisha, S.V. and Shivashankar, R. (2015a), "Response in piled raft foundation of tall chimneys under alongwind load incorporating flexibility of soil", Front. Struct. Civ. Eng., 9(3), 307-322. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11709-015-0288-8
- Jayalekshmi, B.R., Jisha, S.V. and Shivashankar, R. (2015b), "Wind load analysis of tall chimneys with piled raft foundation considering the flexibility of soil", Int. J. Adv. Struct. Eng., 7(2), 95-115. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40091-015-0085-6
- Jisha, S.V., Jayalekshmi, B.R. and Shivashankar, R. (2014), "3D soil-structure interaction analyses of annular raft foundation of tall RC chimneys under wind load", Indian Geotech. J., 44(4), 409-426. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40098-013-0095-x
- Karaca, Z. and Turkeli, E. (2012), "Determination and comparison of wind loads for industrial reinforced concrete chimneys", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 21(2), 133-154. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.617
- Liu, T., Jiang, Y. and Luan, Y. (2013), "A method for earthquake response analysis of tall flexible structure", Earthq. Struct., 4(2), 133-155. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.4.2.133
- Menon, D. and Rao, P.S. (1997), "Estimation of along-wind moments in RC chimneys", Eng. Struct., 19(1), 71-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(96)00041-7
- Novak, M. (1974), "Effect of soil on structural response to wind and earthquake", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 3(1), 79-96. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290030107
- Oz, E. (2007), "Structural analysis and design of reinforced concrete industry chimneys with different methods as a synthesis study", MS Thesis, Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon.
- Repetto, M.P. and Solari, G. (2004), "Equivalent static wind actions on vertical structures", J. Wind Eng. Indust. Aerodyn., 92(5), 335-357. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2004.01.002
- Scawthorn, C. and Johnson G.S. (2000), "Preliminary report Kocaeli (Izmit) earthquake of 17 August 1999", Eng. Struct., 22(7), 727-745. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(99)00106-6
- Sezen, H. and Whittaker, A.S. (2004), "Performance of industrial facilities during the 1999, Kocaeli, Turkey Earthquake", 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, August.
- Takabatake, H. and Ikarashi, F. (2013), "New vibration control device and analytical method for slender structures", Earthq. Struct., 4(1), 11-39. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.4.1.011
- Tabeshpour, M.R. (2012), "Nonlinear dynamic analysis of chimney-like towers", Asian J. Civ. Eng., 13(1), 97-112.
- URL-1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Korba_chimney_collapse
- URL-2: http://www.sefindia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7631
- URL-3: http://peer.berkeley.edu/
- Vaziri, A., Ajdari, A., Ali, H. and Twohig, A.A. (2011), "Structural analysis of reinforced concrete chimneys subjected to uncontrolled fire", Finite Element. Anal. Des., 33(10), 2888-2898.
- Waldeck, J.L. (1992), "The measured and predicted response of a 300 m concrete chimney", J. Wind Eng. Indust. Aerodyn., 41(1-3), 229-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(92)90415-7
- Wilson, E.L. (2000), "Sap 2000: Integrated Finite Element Analysis and Design of Structures", Computers & Structures: Berkeley, CA.
- Wilson, J.L. (2003), "Earthquake response of tall reinforced concrete chimneys", Eng. Struct., 25(1), 11-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(02)00098-6