- Volume 12 Issue 5
To investigate the seismic performance of Y-shaped eccentrically braced frames fabricated with high-strength steel (Y-HSS-EBFs), a shake table test of a 1:2 scaled three-story Y-HSS-EBF specimen was performed. The input wave for the shake table test was generated by the ground motions of El Centro, Taft, and Lanzhou waves. The dynamic properties, acceleration, displacement, and strain responses were obtained from the test specimen and compared with previous test results. In addition, a finite element model of the test specimen was established using the SAP2000 software. Results from the numerical analysis were compared with the test specimen results. During the shake table test, the specimen exhibited sufficient overall structural stiffness and safety but suffered some localized damage. The lateral stiffness of the structure degenerated during the high seismic intensity earthquake. The maximum elastic and elastoplastic interstory drift of the test specimen for different peak ground accelerations were 1/872 and 1/71, respectively. During the high seismic intensity earthquake, the links of the test specimen entered the plastic stage to dissipate the earthquake energy, while other structural members remained in the elastic stage. The Y-HSS-EBF is a safe, dual system with reliable seismic performance. The numerical analysis results were in useful agreement with the test results. This finding indicated that the finite element model in SAP2000 provided a very accurate prediction of the Y-HSS-EBF structure's behavior during the seismic loadings.
eccentrically braced frames (EBFs);high-strength steel (HSS);shake table test;dynamic properties;seismic performance;numerical simulation
- Ban, H., Shi, G., Liu, Z., Shi, Y., Wang, Y., Xing, H. and Li, M. (2011), "Experimental study on overall buckling behavior of Q420 high strength equal angle members under axial compression", J. Build. Struct., 32(2), 60-67.
- Berman, J.W. and Bruneau, M. (2007), "Experimental and analytical investigation of tubular links for eccentrically braced frames", Eng. Struct., 29(8), 1929-1938. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.10.012
- Bosco, M. and Rossi, P.P. (2009), "Seismic behaviour of eccentrically braced frames", Eng. Struct., 31(3), 664-674. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.11.002
- Bosco, M. and Rossi, P.P. (2013), "A design procedure for dual eccentrically braced systems: analytical formulation", J. Constr. Steel Res., 80(1), 440-452. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.09.019
- Chen, A.H., Xu, J.Q., Ran, L.I. and Li, H.L. (2012), "Corrosion resistance of high performance weathering steel for bridge building applications", J. Iron Steel Res., 19(6), 59-63.
- Dubina, D., Stratan, A. and Dinu, F. (2008), "Dual high-strength steel eccentrically braced frames with removable links", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 37(7), 1703-1720. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.828
- Dusicka, P., Itani, A. and Buckle, I. (2010), "Cyclic behavior of shear links of various grades of plate steel", J. Struct. Eng., 136(4), 370-378. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000131
- GB50011-2010 (2010), Code for seismic design of buildings, Beijing.
- JGJ 99-98 (1998), Technical specification for steel structure of tall buildings, Beijing.
- Li, Z.X. (2014), "Theory and technique of engineering structure experiments", Tianjin.
- Lian, M., and Su, M.Z. (2015), "Seismic performance of eccentrically braced frames with high strength steel combination", Steel Compos. Struct., 18(6), 1517-1539. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.18.6.1517
- Lin, K.C., Lin, C.C.J., Chen, J.Y. and Chang, H.Y. (2010), "Seismic reliability of steel framed buildings", Struct. Safe., 32(3), 174-182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2009.11.001
- Longo, A., Montuori, R., Nastri, E. and Piluso, V. (2014), "On the use of hss in seismic-resistant structures", J. Constr. Steel Res., 103, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2014.07.019
- Mansour, N., Christopoulos, C. and Tremblay, R. (2011), "Experimental validation of replaceable shear links for eccentrically braced steel frames", J. Struct. Eng., 137(10), 1141-1152. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000350
- Montuori, R., Nastri, E. and Piluso, V. (2014), "Rigid-plastic analysis and moment-shear interaction for hierarchy criteria of inverted Y EB-Frames", J. Constr. Steel Res., 95(4), 71-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.11.013
- Montuori, R., Nastri, E. and Piluso, V. (2014), "Theory of plastic mechanism control for eccentrically braced frames with inverted y-scheme", J. Constr. Steel Res., 92, 122-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.10.009
- Okazaki, T. and Engelhardt, M.D. (2007), "Cyclic loading behavior of EBF links constructed of ASTM A992 steel", J. Constr. Steel Res., 63(6), 751-765. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2006.08.004
- Pocock, G. (2006), "High strength steel use in Australia, Japan and the US", Struct. Engineer, 84(21), 27-30.
- Rasmussen, K.J.R. and Hancock, G.J. (1992), "Plate slenderness limits for high strength steel sections", J. Constr. Steel Res., 23(1), 73-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/0143-974X(92)90037-F
- Rasmussen, K.J.R. and Hancock, G.J. (1995), "Tests of high strength steel columns", J. Constr. Steel Res., 34(1), 27-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/0143-974X(95)97296-A
- Shayanfar, M.A., Barkhordari, M.A. and Rezaeian, A.R. (2012), "Experimental study of cyclic behavior of composite vertical shear link in eccentrically braced frames", Steel Compos. Struct., 12(1), 13-29. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2012.12.1.013
- Shim, C.S., Whang, J.W., Chung, C.H. and Lee, P.G. (2011), "Design of double composite bridges using high strength steel", Procedia Eng., 14(7), 1825-1829. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.07.229
- Tokgoz, S., Dundar, C. and Tanrikulu, A.K. (2012), "Experimental behaviour of steel fiber high strength reinforced concrete and composite columns", J. Constr. Steel Res., 74(7), 98-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.02.017
- Vander, V. G. J., De, B. J. and Wardenier, J. (1990), "Low cycle fatigue of tubular T-and X-joints", Proceedings of 3rd international symposium on tubular structures, Lappeenranta, Finland.
- Wang, Y.B., Li, G.Q., Cui, W. and Chen, S.W. (2014), "Seismic behavior of high strength steel welded beam-column members", J. Constr. Steel Res., 102(11), 245-255. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2014.07.015
- FEMA 356 (2000), Prestandard and commentary for the seismic rehabilitation of buildings, Washington, DC.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China