- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The study of frictional damper with various control algorithms
- Mirtaheri, Masoud (Department of Civil Engineering, K.N. Toosi University of Technology) ;
- Samani, Hamid Rahmani (Department of Civil Engineering, K.N. Toosi University of Technology) ;
- Zandi, Amir Peyman (Department of Civil Engineering, K.N. Toosi University of Technology)
- Received : 2017.03.14
- Accepted : 2017.05.03
- Published : 2017.05.25
Frictional dampers are used in structural engineering as means of passive control. Meanwhile, frictional damper shave a disadvantage compared to viscous rivals since the slippage force must be exceeded to activate the device, and cannot be ideal full range of possible events. The concept of semi-active control is utilized to overcome this shortcoming. In this paper, a new semi-active frictional damper called Smart Adjustable Frictional (SAF) damper is introduced. SAF damper consists of hydraulic, electronic units and sensors which are all linked with an active control discipline. SAF acts as a smart damper which can adapt its slippage threshold during a dynamic excitation by measuring and controlling the structural response. The novelty of this damper is, while it controls the response of the structure in real time with acceptable time delay. The paper also reports on the results of a series of experiments which have been performed on SAF dampers to obtain their prescribed hysteretic behavior for various control algorithms. The results show that SAF can produce the desired slippage load of various algorithms in real time. Numerical models incorporating control simulations are also made to obtain the hysteretic response of the system which agrees closely with test results.
frictional damper;energy dissipation;passive control;semi-active control;SAF damper
- Agrawal, A. and Yang, J. (2000), "A semi-active electromagnetic friction damper for response control of structures", ASCE Proceedings of the 2000 Structures Congress and Exposition, Philadelphia, PA, USA, July.
- Akbay, Z. and Aktan, H.M. (1995), "Abating earthquake effects on buildings by active slip brace devices", Shock Vib., 2(2), 133-142. https://doi.org/10.1155/1995/743430
- ASCE/SEI 41-06(2006), Seismic rehabilitation of existing buildings. Reston (VA): American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Reston, VA, USA.
- Chen, G.D. and Chen, C.C. (2000), "Behavior of piezoelectric friction dampers under dynamic loading", Proceedings of SPIE-The International Society for Optical Engineering (Proceedings of SPIE), Newport Beach, USA.
- Casciati, F. and Domaneschi, M. (2007), "Semi-active electroinductive devices: Characterization and modelling", J. Vib. Control, 13(6), 815-838. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546307077465
- Domaneschi, M. and Martinelli, L. (2012), "Performance comparison of passive control schemes for the numerically improved ASCE cable-stayed bridge model", Earthq. Struct., 3(2), 181-201. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2012.3.2.181
- Domaneschi, M. and Martinelli, L. (2014), "Extending the benchmark cable-stayed bridge for transverse response under seismic loading", J. Bridge Eng., ASCE, 19(3), 04013003. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000532
- Domaneschi, M. (2012), "Simulation of controlled hysteresis by the semi-active Bouc-Wen Model", Comput. Struct., 106-107, 245-257 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2012.05.008
- Dowdell, D.J. and Cherry, S. (1994), "Semi-active friction dampers for seismic response control of structures", Proceeding 5th US national conference on Earthquake Engineering, Chicago, USA.
- Fangfang, G., Youliang, D., Jianyong, S., Wanheng, L. and Aiqun, L. (2014), "Passive control system for seismic protection of a multi-tower cable-stayed bridge", Earthq. Struct., 6(5), 495-514. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.6.5.495
- Gaul, L., Albrecht, H. and Wirnitzer, J. (2004), "Semi-active friction damping of large space truss structures", Shock Vib., 11(3), 73-86.
- Gordaninejad, F. and Breese, D.G. (1999), "Heating of magneto rheological fluid dampers", J. Intel. Mater. Syst. Struct., 10(6), 34-45.
- He, W.L., Agrawal, A.K. and Yang, J.N. (2003), "Novel semiactive friction controller for linear structures against earthquakes", J. Struct. Eng., 129(7), 41-50. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2003)129:1(41)
- Inaudi, J.A. (1997), "Modulated homogeneous friction: a semiactive damping strategy", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 26(3), 61-76. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199701)26:1<61::AID-EQE623>3.0.CO;2-P
- Kannan, S., Uras, H.M. and Aktan, H.M. (1995), "Active control of building seismic response by energy dissipation", Earthq. Eng. Struct., 24(5), 747-759. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290240510
- Makris, N., Roussos, Y., Whittaker, A.S. and Kelly, J.M. (1998), "Viscous heating of fluid dampers. II: Large-amplitude motions", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 124(11), 17-23.
- Mirtaheri, M., Zandi, A.P., Samadi, S.S. and Rahmani Samani, H. (2011), "Numerical and experimental study of hysteretic behaviour of cylindrical friction dampers", Eng. Struct., 33(12), 47-56.
- Monir, H.S. and Zeynali, K. (2013), "A modified friction damper for diagonal bracing of structures", J. Constr. Steel Res., 87, 17-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.04.004
- Mualla, I.H. and Belev, B. (2002), "Performance of steel frames with a new friction damper device under earthquake excitation", Eng. Struct., 24(3), 65-71.
- Murase, M., Tsuji, M. and Takewaki, I. (2013), "Smart passive control of buildings with higher redundancy and robustness using base-isolation and inter-connection", Earthq. Struct., 4(6), 649-670. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.4.6.649
- Pall, A.S., Marsh, C. and Fazio, P. (1980), "Friction joints for seismic control of large panel structures", J. Prestress. Concrete Inst., 25(6), 38-61.
- Rahmani Samani, H., Mirtaheri, M., Zandi, A.P. and Bahai, H. (2014), "The effects of dynamic loading on hysteretic behavior of frictional dampers", Shock Vib., 2014, 1-9.
- Rahmani Samani, H., Mirtaheri. M. and Zandi, A.P. (2015), "Experimental and numerical study of a new adjustable frictional damper", J. Constr. Steel Res., 112, 354-362. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2015.05.019
- Rahmani Samani, H., Mirtaheri, M. and Hariri-Ardebili, M.A. (2016), "A frictional damping based design methodology for structures", Struct. Building, 169(3), 174-183. https://doi.org/10.1680/jstbu.14.00027
- Rahmani Samani, H., Mirtaheri, M. and Rafiei, M. (2015), "The effects of various slippage loads on the response modification factor of steel structures equipped with frictional dampers", Int. J. Struct. Stab. D., 15(6), 1450080. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219455414500801
- Wua, B., Zhanga, J., Williams, B.M.S. and Oua, J. (2005), "Hysteretic behaviour of improved Pall-typed frictional dampers", Eng. Struct., 27(8), 1258-1267. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.03.010