- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Psychological Factors Influencing Continuous Use of Mobile Healthcare Applications
모바일 헬스케어 앱의 지속사용의도에 미치는 심리적 요인의 영향 연구
- Lee, Lee-Sac (Dept. of Interaction Design, Graduate School, Hallym University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Hyun (Dept. of Interaction Design, Graduate School, Hallym University) ;
- Jeong, Jae-Seon (The Center for Health Communication Studies, Hallym University) ;
- Noh, Ki-Young (Dept. of Media Communication, Hallym University)
- Received : 2017.05.15
- Accepted : 2017.07.20
- Published : 2017.07.28
Mobile healthcare apps should be paid more attention not just as software, but also as significant health information providers. We examine the impact of psychological factors (e,g., instrumental efficacy, informational efficacy, health information orientation, playfulness, and responsiveness) on intention to continuous use of mobile healthcare apps. Based on an expanded technology acceptance model (TAM II), this study examined the effects of psychological factors influencing the usage of mobile healthcare apps. The results showed that informational efficacy and instrumental efficacy influenced intention to use through perceived ease of use and perceived usefulness. Playfulness influenced intention to continuous use directly as well as indirectly through perceived ease of use and perceived usefulness. Health information orientation and responsiveness influenced intention to continuous use through perceived usefulness. This study suggests the need for adopting instrumental, informative perspectives and playfulness in contemporary health research and production of mobile healthcare apps.
Mobile healthcare app;Instrumental efficacy;Informational efficacy;Playfulness;Health information orientation;Responsiveness
Supported by : Hallym University, National Research Foundation of Korea
- BMI Espicom, "The world Medical Markets Forecasts 2020", 2015.
- B. W. Min, "An Improvement of Personalized Computer Aided Diagnosis Probability for Smart Healthcare Service System", Journal Of Convergence for Information Technology, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp.79-84, 2016.
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute, "Midto Long-Term Development Plan of Medical Device Industry", 2015.
- G. J. Kim and J. S. Han, "Chronic Disease Management using Smart Mobile Device", Vol.12, pp.335-342, 2014.
- M. Kay, J. Santos, and M. Takane. "mHealth: New horizons for health through mobile technologies." World Health Organization, Vol. 13, pp. 66-71, 2011.
- S. H. Lee and S. S. Yu, "Mobile healthcare applications Current Status and Outlook", Korea Information Society Development Institute, Vol. 26, No. 17, pp.1-23, 2014.
- I. K. Seo and S. H. Lee, "An Efficient Hospital Service Model of Hierarchical Property information classified Bioinformatics information of Patient", Journal Of Convergence for Information Technology, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp.17-23, 2016.
- Y. Su. Jeong, "User Authentication Key Establishment Scheme based on Color Model for Healthcare Environment", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8. No. 3, pp. 115-121, 2017.
- Institute for Information &communications Technology Promotion, "Mobile healthcare trends and implications at home and abroad", pp.35-38, 2015.
- E. J. Jung, "Mining based Mental Health and Blood Pressure Management Service for Smart Health", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8. No. 1, pp. 13-18, 2017. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.1.013
- A. S. M. Mosa, I. Yoo and L. Sheets. "A systematic review of healthcare applications for smartphones", BMC medical informatics and decision making, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 67, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6947-12-67
- J. Choi, D. J. Park and G. Y. Noh, "The effect of Attributes of Exercise/Fitness Apps on App Usage: A Convergence Perspective Based on the Self-Determination Theory", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 6, pp.327-339, 2015.
- B. R. Wang, J. Y. Park and I. Y. Choi, "Influencing Factors for the Adoption of Smartphone Healthcare Application", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 11, No. 10, pp.396-404, 2011.
- Y. B. Shim, Y. J. S, J. M. Kim, S. H. Kim and D. H. Sung, "Factors related to the intent to use the medical application (M-APP) of smart phone of hospital nurses", Health Policy and Management, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 249-262, 2012 https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2012.22.2.249
- J. Cho, "The Investigation of Factors of Determining Continuous Use of Health Apps on Smartphones Application of Extended Technology Acceptance Model", Journal Of Public Relations Research, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp.212-241, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15814/jpr.2014.18.1.212
- A. B. Becker, "Political humor as democratic relief? The effects of exposure to comedy and straight news on trust and efficacy", Atlantic Journal of Communication, Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 235-250, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1080/15456870.2011.622191
- D. J. Park, J. Choi and D. J. Kim, "The Influence of Health Apps Efficacy, Satisfaction and Continued, Journal of Digital Convergence", Vol. 13, No. 7, pp.137-145, 2015.
- Y. N. Choi, K. H. Kim and S. R. Oh, "Structural Model for Users's Accepting Smart Health Care Services by Moderating the User Types", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 15, No. 9, pp.541-554. 2015.
- M. K. Chang and W. Cheung, "Determinants of the intention to use internet/ WWW at work:A confirmatory study", Information and Management, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp.1-14, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7206(01)00075-1
- J. S. Lee and M. Y. Lee, "Examining Factors Affecting the Intention to Use IP-TV with the Extended Technology Acceptance Model(TAM)", Broadcasting & Communication, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp.100-113, 2006.
- H. J. Yun and S. C. Moon. Factors Affecting Intension to Use Tablet PCs : Moderating Effects of Smart Phone Use, KABS, No. 79, pp.169-202, 2006.
- V. Venkatesh and F. D. Davis, "A theoretical extension of the technology acceptance model: Four longitudinal field studies", Management science, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp.186-204, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.220.127.116.1126
- R. Agarwal and E. Karahanna, "Time Flies When You're Having Fun: Cognitive Absorption and Beliefs about Information Technology Usage", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp.665-694, 2000. https://doi.org/10.2307/3250951
- M. Koufaris, "Applying the Technology Acceptance Model and Flow Theory to Online Consumer Behavior," Information Systems Research, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp.205-223, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.18.104.22.168
- A. Bandura, "Self-efficacy: The exercise of control", New York: Freeman, 1997.
- H. Verkasalo, C. Lopez-Nicolas, F. J. Molina-Castillo and H. Bouwman, "Analysis of users and non-users of smartphone applications", Telematics and Informatics, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp.242-255, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2009.11.001
- S. Lim, L. Xue, C. C. Yen, L. Change, H. C. Chan, B. C. Tai, H. B. L.. Duh and M. Coolani, "A study on Singaporean women's acceptance of using mobile phones to seek health information", International Journal of Medical Informatics, Vol. 80, No. 12, pp.189-202, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2011.08.007
- B. Yu and H. H. Kim, "A Usability Evaluation of Mobile Healthcare Application GUI Design - Focused on the Exercise Application", Journal of digital design, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp.223-233, 2015.
- J. D. Kim and S. D. Park, S. J. Lim and S. P. Hwang, and S. G. Lee, Information Visualization for Mobile Healthcare", The Journal of Korean Insitute of Information Technology, Vol. 19, No. 12, pp.99-110, 2012.
- S. Sohn, Y. J. Choi, H. S. Hwang. "Understanding Acceptance of Smartphone among Early Adopters Using Extended Technology Acceptance Model", Korean Society for Journalism & Communication Studies, Vol. 55 No. 2, pp. 227-251, 2011.
- S. Y. Kim, S. H. Lee and H. S. Hwang, "User Acceptance of Social Network Games on Smart Devices: An Extension to the Technology Acceptance Model", Korea Society Of Industrial Information System, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 173-184. 2011. https://doi.org/10.9723/jksiis.2011.16.5.173
- B. O. Jeong, "Effects of Perceived Usefulness, Perceived Ease of Use and Perceived Enjoyment on Intention to Use Tourism Application: Moderating Effects of Demographic Characteristics", International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, Vol. 30, No, 1, pp.101-121, 2016. https://doi.org/10.21298/IJTHR.2016.01.30.1.101
- J. W. Lee, J. D. Kim and A. Ji, "A Present Condition of Smartphone Health Applications", Korean Soc Design Sci, Vol. 10. pp.210-211, 2010.
- M. J. Dutta-Bergman, "Primary sources of health information: Comparisons in the domain of health attitudes, health cognitions, and health behaviors", Health Ccommunication, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp.273-288. 2004.
- D. J. Park, M. S. Kim and J. Choi, "The Influence of Health Information Orientation, Attitude of Internet Health Information, and e-Health Literacy on Personal Health Behaviors", Journal of Public Relations Research, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp.379-413, 2013. https://doi.org/10.15814/jpr.2013.17.3.379
- Y. N. Li, K. C. Tan and M. Xie, "Measuring web-based service quality," Total Quality Management, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp.685-700, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/0954412022000002072
- M. Wolfinbarger and M. C. Gilly, "eTailQ: Dimentionalizing, measuring and predicting etail quality," Journal of Retailing, Vol. 79, No. 3, pp. 183-198, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(03)00034-4
- D. U. Kim and J. S. Oh, "A Structure on Mobile Service Quality" Journal Of Korea Service Management Society, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 51-82, 2006.
- J. O. Lee, J. Whang, S. and Kang, S. Lee, "Extended TAM for Accepting Mobile Devices Including Functional Attributes : The Case of Cellular Phone", Journal of Information Technology Applications & Management Vol. 13, No. 1, 39-66, 2006.
- C. D. Norman and H. A. Skinner, "eHEALS: the eHealth literacy scale". Journal of Medical Internet Research, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp.27, 2006. https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.8.4.e27
- D. W. Russell, J. H. Kahn, R. Spoth and E. M. Altmaier, "Analyzing data from experimental studies: A latent variable structural equation modeling approach", Journal of Counseling Psychology, Vol. 45, pp.18-29, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-022.214.171.124
- E. K. Yun and H. A. Park, "Consumers' disease information-seeking behavior on the Internet in Korea". Journal of Clinical Nursing, Vol. 19, pp.2860-2868, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2009.03187.x
- F. D. Davis, R. P. Bagozzi, and P. R. Warshaw, "User Acceptance of Computer Technology: A Comparison of Two Theoretical Models", Management Science, Vol. 35, No. 8, pp. 982-1002, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.35.8.982
- V. Venkatesh, M. G. Morris, G. B. Davis and F. D. Davis, "User Acceptance of Information Technology: Toward a Unified View", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 425-478, 2003. https://doi.org/10.2307/30036540