- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The relationship of Gender Discrimination Consciousness, Work-Family Conflict and Facilitation and Turnover Intention of Married Female Hospital Nurses.
기혼여성간호사의 성차별의식, 직장-가정 갈등과 지원 및 이직의도와의 관계
- Kim, Kyoung-Hee (Dept. of Nursing, Cheongam College)
- 김경희 (청암대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2017.05.11
- Accepted : 2017.07.20
- Published : 2017.07.28
The purpose of this study was to explore the relationship of gender discrimination consciousness, work-family conflict and facilitation, and turnover intention of married female hospital nurses. The participants included 101 married female nurses at hospitals in S city. Gender discrimination consciousness was higher, benevolent sexism was higher than hostile sexism. The nurses under 40, had one child and worked within 5 years had higher work-family conflict. Turnover intension was significantly higher when the nurses were under 40 (t=3.66, p<.001), had no children (F=5.76, p=.004), and were staff and charge nurses (F=5.86, p=.004). Hostile sexism had correlated to family-to work conflict and facilitation. Turnover intention had a positive correlation to work-to family conflict and family-to work conflict. Through this study, we were understand the relationship of gender discrimination consciousness, work-family conflict and facilitation, turnover intension of married female hospital nurses, and for work-family balance, it was found that more study is needed.
Married Female Hospital Nurses;Gender Discrimination Consciousness;Work-Family Conflict;Work-Family Facilitation;Turnover Intention
Supported by : 청암대학교
- Statics Korea, "2015 Women's perspective in statistics" Retrived November 2, 2016, from http:// kosis.kr. 2016.
- Hye Ryun Kang, and Suh Yeun Choi, Antecedentsand Outcomes of Work - Family Conflict ofMarried Working Women. Korean Journal of Psychology: Women, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 23-42, 2001.
- J. S. Yang, "The Analysis of Determinants Affecting Work-Family Balance and the Childbirth Decision of Working Wives", Korean Journal of Family Welfare, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 613-630, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.13049/kfwa.2015.20.4.613 https://doi.org/10.13049/kfwa.2015.20.4.613
- J. K. Kim, J. S. Yang, "Analysis of the Factors Influencing Work-Family Balance: A Focus on the Impact of Social Support", Korean Journal of Public Administration, Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 251-280, 2012.
- J. S. Lee, "Estimating Married Female Workers' Changes in Work Family Conflict: Tests of Effects of Conservation of Resources Factors on Individual Differences in the Changes", Korean Journal of Social Welfare Research, Vol. 48, pp. 1-27, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17997/SWRY.48.1.1
- J. Y. Jang, H. S. Kim, "The Gender Differences in the Effects of Work-Family Conflict on the Life Satisfaction and Job Attitudes", Korean journal of Psychological and Social Issues, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 23-42, 2003.
- Y. M. Kim, Y. K. Ryu, "A Study on the Differences ill Determinants of Gender Role Attitudes among the Gender Regimes: A Comparison among Sweden, Germany and Korea", The Korean Family Studies Association, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 90-128, 2013.
- J. S. Park, "Gauging Gender Equality in Terms of Household Labor Division and Gender-role Perception", Health and Welfare Policy Forum, No. 199, pp. 28-38, 2013.
- S. S. An, Y. T. Baek, I. S. Kim, H. S. Kim, J. S. Kim, "A Study on the Development and Validation of Korean Ambivalent Sexism Inventory", Korean Women's Development Institute. 2007.
- F. Eek, A. Axmon, "Gender inequality at home is associated with poorer health for women", Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, Vol. 43, No. 2, pp. 176-182, 2015. DOI: 10.1177/1403494814562598 https://doi.org/10.1177/1403494814562598
- Hospital Nurses Association. Annual Report; hospital nurse allocation survey. Seoul, HNA, 2015.
- Korea Health Industry Statistics Development Institute "The Research on the Rresent Nurses Activities" Retrived November 10, 2016, from http:// www. khidi.or.kr, 2016.
- M. Y. Kim, "Nurses' Work-family Balance: The Gender Perspectives", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 87-95, 2012. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.1.87
- Y. H. Kim, H. W. Kang, "A Study on Gender Equalitarianism of Kyounggi University Students", Citizen and Humanities, Vol. 16, pp. 127-164, 2009.
- H. N. Kim, J. S. Kim, "Work-Family Compatibility Experience of Married Nurse: Focusing on the Expanding Stage of the Family Life Cycle", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 545-559, 2016. http:// dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.2.545 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.2.545
- J. H. Greenhaus, G. N. Powell, "When work and family are allies: a theory of work-family enrichment", Academy of Management Review, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 72-92, 2006 https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.2006.19379625
- M. Zhang, R. W. Griffeth, D. D. Fried, "Work-family conflict and individual consequences", Journal of Managerial Psychology, Vol. 7, No. 7, pp. 696-713, 2006
- S. K. Kim, S. Y. Park, H. S. Rhee, "The effect of Work-Family Conflict on depression on Married Working Women", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp.267-275, 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.3.267 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.3.267
- H. J. Choi, "An exploratory study on the effect of work-family conflict on job satisfaction and job performance among hotel frontline employees with testing gender difference", Korean Journal of Hospitality Administration, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 203-219, 2009
- H. J. Choi, "Moderating Effects of Work-family Conflict between Job . Organizational . Career Characteristics and Turnover Intention among Nurses in Small and Medium-sized Hospitals", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 297-307, 2015. http:// dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.3.297 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.3.297
- Y. N. Kim, I. S. Jang, "Moderating and Mediating Effects of Social Support in the Relationship between Work-family Conflict, Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intention among Married Women Nurses", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration academic Society, Vol. 20, No. 5, pp. 525-534, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.5.525 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.5.525
- B. J. Na, E. J. Kim, "A Study on the Mediating and Moderating Effect of Work-Family Confliction the Relationship Among Emotional Labor, Occupational Stress, and Turnover Intention", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 260-269, 2016. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.3.260 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.3.260
- B. J. Lee, T. S. Jeong, "An effect of Work-Family Conflict on Turnover Intention and Organizational Commitment", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 8, pp.75-93, 2013.
- H. J. Choi, "The Effect of Work-Family Conflict and Facilitation on Job Satisfaction and Job Performance: An Empirical Study in the Hotel Industry", Ph.D. dissertation, Pai Chai University. 2009.
- P. J. Glick, S.T. Fiske, "An Ambivalent Alliance :Hostile and Benevolent Sexism as Complementary Justifications for Gender Inequality", American Psychologist, Vol. 56, No. 2, pp. 108-118, 2001
- J. Y. Kim, "Relationship among Emotional Labor, Burnout, Social Support and Turnover Intention of Nurse Practitioners in terms of Interdisciplinary Perspectives" Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 8, pp. 331-342, http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/ JDC.2016.14.8.331 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.8.331
- H. I. Park, K. H. Lee, "The Effect of Social Intelligence and Burnout on Turnover Intention in Nurses: An exploratory study" Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 325-336, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.325 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.325
- B. B. Mun, S. Y .Lee, J. O. Cheong, "Empirical Study on the turn-over intention of university hospital nurses" Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 205-213, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.2.205 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.2.205
- M. H. Nam, Y. C. Kwon, "The Relationship between Better Life Index, Nursing performance and Intents to Leave among Hospital Nurses", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 9, pp. 417-427, 2012.
- P. Glick, S. Fiske, "The Ambivalent Sexism Inventory: Differentiating Hostile and Benevolent Sexism", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 491-512, 1996.
- P. Glick, S. Fiske, "An Ambivalent Alliance: Hostile and Benevolent Sexism as Complementary Justifications for Gender Inequality", American Psychologist, Vol. 56, No. 2, pp. 109-118, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.56.2.109
- R. G. Netemeyer, J. S. Boles, R. McMurrian, "Development and validation of work-family conflict and family work conflict scales", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 81, No. 4, pp. 400-410, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.81.4.400
- J. G. Grzywacz, N. F. Marks, "Family, work, work-family spillover, and problem drinking during midlife", Journal of Marrage and Family, Vol. 62, No. 1, pp. 336-348, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-3737.2000.00336.x
- M. H. Shim Y. M. Endo. "Stereotypes toward Gender Roles, Sexism and Attitudes toward Military Service among Koreans", The Korean Journal of Woman Psychology, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 365-385, 2013. https://doi.org/10.18205/kpa.2013.18.3.002
- Y. K. Nah, Y. J. Choi, "Gender Sensitivity Comparison between Korean and Japanese College Students", Journal of Life long Education, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 121-146, 2011.
- M. J. Seong, "AStudy and Reviewof gender Inequality Index", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp.43-49, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.6.43 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.6.43
- Y. S. Choi, "Nursing professionalism, Job satisfaction and Turnover intention of nurses in small and medium-sized hospitals- Focused on 'I' City", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 2695-2702, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2695 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2695
- M. Y. Kim, " Nurses' Work-family Boundary Management", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration academic Society, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 17-27, 2013. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.1.17
- J. H. Kim, K. Y. Lee, "A Typology of Dual-Income Family Work-Life by Time Allocation", Korean Family Resource Management Association, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 101-125, 2015.
- M. J. Kim, J. W. Lee, J. S. Park, "Effects of Nurses' Practice Environment and Job Embeddedness on Turnover Intention in Medium-small sized Hospital", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 222-230, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.1.222 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.1.222
- H. Y. Kim, M. S. Yim, "A Study of Influence on the Psychological State of Hospital Employees through Convergence Career Management Systems", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 119-129, 2015.
- E. K. Lee, J. H. Park, "Converged Study of Influencing Factors on Occupational Stress in Workers", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7. No. 3, pp. 15-24, 2016.