- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Relationship among Public's Risk Characteristics, Risk Severity, Risk Perception and Risk Acceptability of Human Stem Cell Technology
공중의 체세포복제기술에 대한 위험특성, 위험심각성, 위험인식 및 위험수용의 관계
- Song, Hae-Ryong (Dept. of Journalism and Communication, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Kim, Won-je (Dept. of Journalism and Communication, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2017.05.11
- Accepted : 2017.07.20
- Published : 2017.07.28
The purpose of this study was to examine the relationship among public's risk characteristics, risk severity, risk perception and risk acceptability of human stem cell technology. The subjects were 300 Koreans selected. The data were analyzed by the exploratory factor analysis, confirmatory factor analysis, correlation analysis and structural equation modeing analysis. The results were as followed. First, public's risk characteristics on human stem cell technology influenced positively on risk severity. Second, public's risk characteristics on human stem cell technology influenced positively on risk perception. Third, public's risk severity on human stem cell technology influenced positively on risk perception. Fourth, public's risk characteristics on human stem cell technology influenced negatively on risk acceptability. Fifth, public's risk severity on human stem cell technology influenced not significantly on risk acceptability. Sixth, public's risk perception on human stem cell technology influenced not significantly on risk acceptability. These results will contribute to develop the risk communication strategy on the acceptability of human stem cell technology.
Risk Characteristics;Risk severity;Risk Perception;Risk Acceptability;Human Stem Cell Technology
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- Turner, J. C. and Oakes, P. J. "The significance of the social identity concept for social psychology with reference to individualism, interactionism and social influence". British Journal of Social Psychology, Vol. 25, pp. 237-252, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8309.1986.tb00732.x
- Lanphier, E., Urnov, F. and Haecker, S. E. "Don't edit the human germ line". Nature, Vol. 519, pp. 410-411, 2015. [online available] http://www.nature.com/news/don-t-edit-the-human-germ-line-1.17111 https://doi.org/10.1038/519410a
- Leiss, W. and Chociolko, C. "Risk and responsibility". Montreal & Kingston: McGill-Queen's University Press, 1994.
- Nathan, K. R., Heath, L and Douglas, W. "Tolerance for potential environmental health risks: The influence of knowledge, benefits, control, involvement, and uncertainty". Journal of Public Relations Research, Vol. 4, pp. 235-258, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1207/s1532754xjprr0404_4
- Slovic, P. "Perceptions of risk". Science, Vol. 230, pp. 280-285, 1987.
- Johnson, R. J., McCaul, K. D and Klein, W. M. P. "Risk involvement and risk perception among adolescents and young adults". Journal of Behavioral Medicine, Vol. 25, pp. 67-82, 2001.
- Graham, J. D. and Rhomberg, L. "How risks are identified and assessed". Annuals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, Vol. 545, pp. 15-24, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1177/0002716296545001002
- Mumpower, J. L. "LLRW disposal facility siting: Success and failures in six countries". Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1994.
- Fischhoff, B., Slovic, P. and Lichtenstein, S. "Lay foibles and expert fables in judgements about risk". American Statistician, Vol. 3, pp. 240-255, 1982.
- Slovic, P., Fischhoff, B. and Lichtenstein, S. "Behavioral decision theory perspectives on risk and safety". Acta Psychologica, Vo. 56, pp. 183-203, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-6918(84)90018-0
- Hae Ryong Song and Won Je Kim. "Relationship among nature perception, science technology perception, risk perception, and risk severity". Korean Review of Crisis & Emergency Management, Vol. 10, pp. 29-43, 2014.
- Keller, C., Siegrist, M. and Gutscher, H. "The role of the affect and availability heuristics in risk communication". Risk Analysis, Vol. 26, pp. 631-639, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1539-6924.2006.00773.x
- Slovic, P. "What's fear got to do with it? It's affect we need to worry about". Missouri Law Review, Vol. 69, pp. 971-990, 2004.
- Slovic, P. "Affect, reason, and mere hunches". Journal of Law, Economics and Policy, Vol. 4, pp. 191-211, 2007.
- Slovic, P., Fischhoff, B. and Lichtenstein, S. "Characterizing perceived risk". In Kates, R. W., Hohenemster, C and Kasperson, J. (ed.), Perilous progress: Managing the hazards of technology. Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 1985.
- Jacobs, L. and Worthley, R. A. "A comparative study of risk appraisal: A new look at risk assessment in different countries". Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, Vol. 59, pp. 225-247, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006163606270
- Kellens, W., Zaalberg, R. and Neutens, T. "An analysis of the public perception of flood risk on the belgian coast". Risk Analysis, Vol. 31, pp. 1055-1068, 2010.
- Robinson, K. G., Robinson, C. H. and Raup, L. "Public attitudes and risk perception toward land application of biosolids within the south-eastern United States". Journal of Environmental Management, Vol. 98, pp. 29-36, 2012.
- Dobbie, M. F. and Brown, R. R. "A framework for understanding risk perception, explored from the perspective of the water practitioner". Risk Analysis, Vol. 34, pp. 294-308, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1111/risa.12100
- Sjoberg, L. "The methodology of risk perception research". Quality and Quantity, Vol. 34, pp. 407-418, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1004838806793
- Song, G. "Understanding public perception of benefits and risk of childhood vaccinations in the United States". Risk Analysis, Vol. 34, pp. 541-555, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1111/risa.12114
- Meijnders, A. L., Midden, C. J. H. and Wilke, H. A. M. "Role of negative emotion in communication about CO2 risks". Risk Analysis, Vol. 21, pp. 955-966, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1111/0272-4332.215164
- Camerer, C. and Weber, M. "Recent developments in modeling preferences: Uncertainty and ambiguity". Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Vol. 325, pp, 325-370, 1992.
- Han, P. K. J., Moser, R. P. and Klein, W. M. P. "Perceived ambiguity about cancer prevention recommendations: Relationship to perceptions of cancer preventability, risk, and worry". Journal of Health Communication, Vol. 11, pp. 51-69, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/10810730600637541
- Sjoberg, L., Moen, B. E. and Rundmo, T. "Explaining risk perception. An evaluation of the psychometric paradigm in risk perception". Norwegian University of Science and Technology, 2004.
- Mumpower, J. L., Shi, S. and Stoutenborough, J. W. "Psychometric and demographic predictors of the perceived risk of terrorist threats and the willingness to pay for terrorism risk management programs". Risk Analysis, Vol. 33, pp. 1802-1811, 2013.
- Chen, N. T. N. "Predicting vaccination intention and benefit and risk perceptions: The incorporation of affect, trust, and television influence in a dual-mode model". Risk Analysis, Vol. 35, pp. 1268-1280, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1111/risa.12348
- Sjoberg, L. "Consequences of perceived risk: Demand for risk mitigation". Journal of Risk Research, Vol. 2, pp. 129-149, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/136698799376899
- Rundmo, T. and Moen, B. E. "Risk perception and demand for risk mitigation among experts, politicians and lay people in Norwa". Journal of Risk Research, Vol. 9, pp. 623-640, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/13669870600813811
- Poortinga, W. and Pidgeon, N. F. "Trust in risk regulation: Cause or consequence of the acceptability of GM food?". Risk Analysis, Vol. 25, pp. 199-209, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0272-4332.2005.00579.x
- Og Son Kim, Jin Hwan Oh and Kyung Hye Lee. "The convergence study on anxiety, knowledge, infection possibility, preventive possibility and preventive behavior level of MERS in nursing students". Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, pp. 59-69, 2016.
- Seung Hwan Kimand Keun Ho Lee. "User authentication risk and countermeasure in intelligent vehicles". Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 3, pp. 7-11, 2012.
- Dong Moon Kim. "Analysis of risk factors of sinkholes with geospatial information". Journal of IT Convergence Society for SMB, Vol. 6, pp. 37-43, 2016.