- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
An analysis on Structure Equation Model of Convergent Influence on Academic Burnout of Health Major Students in Studying for TOEIC
보건계열 대학생의 토익 학업소진에 미치는 융복합적인 요인에 관한 구조방정식 모형 분석
- Hong, Soomi (Dept. of Health Administration, Vision University of Jeonju) ;
- Kim, Seung-Hee (Dept. of Health Administration, Vision University of Jeonju) ;
- Bae, Sang-Yun (Dept. of Health Administration, Vision University of Jeonju)
- Received : 2017.05.30
- Accepted : 2017.07.20
- Published : 2017.07.28
This study investigates convergent influence on Self Factors(SF), Stress Factors(STF), Resilience & Control Factors(RCF), Test Anxiety(TA), Learning Flow(LF) and academic burnout among Health College Students in TOEIC class(HCST). The survey was administered to 291 HCST from 1 college located in J area during the period from April 3, 2017 to April 14, 2017. The structured self-administered questionaries were used. With the analysis of covariance structure, we could confirm relationship among the six factors such as SF, STF, RCF, TA, LF and academic burnout. The results of the study indicate that the efforts, to manage these factors, are required to decrease the academic burnout of HCST. Squared multiple correlations, which explain the academic burnout related with the stress from economic pressure and job seeking, test anxiety, learning flow and self factors, were 98.8%. The results are expected to be useful for the development of TOEIC learning curriculum and course to decrease the academic burnout of HCST. In the following study, the analysis about additional factors of influence on academic burnout will be needed.
Convergent influence;Health Major Students;TOEIC Study;Academic Burnout;SEM
- J. Y. Han, E. M. Choi, K. Y. Ji, "An analysis of the importance-satisfaction of convergent medical tourism service quality", J of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13. No. 7, pp. 403-412, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.7.403
- K. N. Jin, "Global medical tourism coordinator: current situation and future vision", Korea J of Hospital Management, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 1-14, 2013.
- S. J. Lee, "A study on the medical tourism and activation: with focus on medical communication", J of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12. No. 3, pp. 391-397, 2014.
- S. Y. Bae, S. H. Kim, "Analysis of convergent influence of self esteem, depression, hopelessness, locus of control and type a behavior pattern on job seeking stress among some college women", J of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14. No. 12, pp. 323-333, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.12.323
- H. G. Ryu, Y. J. Han, W. H. Jang, J. J. Kim, "Research of awareness of the people in charge of medical tour regarding the qualifying examination of international medical tour coordinator", The Korean J of Health Service Management, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 63-73, 2014. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2014.8.3.063
- Y. H. Seoung, S. S. Kim, "The structural relationship of employment capability reinforcement programs for health-related college students to academic achievement and the adjustment to college life, The J of digital policy & management, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 355-363, 2013.
- K. I. Shin, "The effects of TOEIC teaching as a compulsory course in a college", Linguistics Studies, No. 24, pp. 125-137, 2012.
- D. H. Choi, "A critical study on the diffusion process of TOEIC in Korean society", Master Thesis, Yonsei University, pp. 10-12, 2016.
- DOI: http://magazine.kcue.or.kr/index.htm/TOEIC. 2014.03.04
- YBM/Korea, "Essential competitiveness for job success. TOEIC & TOEIC Speaking". TOEIC Committee Newsletter No. 81, 2014.
- M. Y. Choi, T. I. Han, "A study on the variables influencing student achievement in a blended learning of college english", The J of Digital Policy & Management Vol. 11, No. 10, pp. 719-730, 2013.
- K. H. Chun, "Relationship between academic burnout of medical and graduate students and related variables", Korean Medical Education Review, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 77-87, 2014. https://doi.org/10.17496/kmer.2014.16.2.077
- K. O. Lim, Y. T. Choi, "Study on university students' personality types and stress management techniques and their effect on academic burnout-based on the MBTI personality assessment, The J of the Korea Institute of Electronic Communication Sciences, Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 785-790, 2012.
- W. B. Schaufeli, I. M. Martinez, A. M. Pinto, M. Salanova, A. Bakker, "Burnout and engagement in university students: A cross-national study", J of Cross-Cultural Psychology, Vol. 33, pp. 464-481, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022022102033005003
- H. Shin, A. Puig, J. Lee, J. H. Lee, S. M. Lee, "Cultural validation of the maslach burnout inventory for korean students", Asia Pacific Education Review, Vol. 12, pp. 633-639, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12564-011-9164-y
- S. U. Yoon, Y. S. Kwon, "Relationship between test anxiety and self-esteem in partial health related department convergence College students, J of the Korea Convergence Society Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 91-98, 2015.
- S. H. Kim, S. Y. Park, "Factors influencing on learning flow of nursing students", J of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 1557-1565, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.3.1557
- H. G. Baek, P. S. Kim, T. H. Ha, "Study on the effective factors of learning motivation and achievement of the digital textbook using a structural equation model", The J of digital policy & management, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 123-135, 2008.
- S. J. Kang, E. J. Kim, H. J. Shin, "Convergence study about problem-based learing and self-directed learning ability, problem solving skills, academic self-efficacy, motivation toward learning of nursing students", J of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 33-41, 2016.
- Y. J. Choi, "Stress, suicidal ideation, and protective factors in college students", National Youth Policy Institute, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 77-104, 2012.
- S. H. Kim, S. Y. Han, J. D. Kim, S. M. Choi, S. J. Lee, J. H. Lim, H. Chae, "Study on stress and burnout in medical education at the school of korean medicine", J of Oriental Neuropsychiatry, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 103-116, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7231/jon.2015.26.2.103
- H. S. You, Y. K. Yang, "The influence of self-resilience and academic self-concept on test anxiety in undergraduates", J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 275-282, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2014.21.3.275
- S. J. Yune, S. Y. Lee, B. S. Kam, S. J. Im, "The relationships among learning emotions, learning attitudes, major satisfaction, learning flow, and academic achievement of medical school students", JFMSE, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 582-595, 2016. https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2016.28.2.582
- S. H. Shin, "A study on employment stress of health college students", JKSDH, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 663-670, 2010.
- H. S. Park, "The school resilience of Korean adolescents in poverty", Doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, 1998.
- J. Y. Yang, "The mediating affects of self determination motivation in the relation between university", Master Thesis, Pusan National University, 2015.
- M. S. Chae, "Multiple mediated effects of test anxiety and depression in the relation between socially-prescribed perfectionism and academic burnout, Doctoral dissertation, Chonnam National University, 2016.
- E. Y. Lee, S. H. Kim, "Effect of professor trust and learning flow among allied health students", JKSDH, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 643-649, 2016.
- S. Y. Lee, Y. J. Kang, "Influence of instructor trust on learning flow and academic achievement in dental hygiene students", JKSDH, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 687-693, 2016.
- F. Faul and E. Erdfelder, A. Lang, A. Buchner, "G*Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences," Behavior Research Methods, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 175-191, 2007. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- M. Rosenberg, "Society and the adolescent self-image. NJ: Princeton University Press", pp. 46-68, 1965.
- B. J. Jon, "Self-esteem: A test of its measurability", Yonsei J, Vol. 11, pp. 107-129. 1974.
- L. P. Hemandez, "The role of protective factors in the school resilience of Mexcican American high school students", Doctoral dissertation, Stanford University, 1993.
- R. M. Tipton, E. L. Worthington, "The measurement of generalized self-efficacy: A study of construct validity", J of Personality Assessment, Vol. 48, pp. 545-548, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4805_14
- S. M. Yang, "The development and effectiveness of group program on empowerment for the parents with mentally retarded adults", Seoul National University, Doctoral Dissertation, 2000.
- R. D. Conger, G. H. Jr. Elder, F. O. Lorenz, K. J. Conger, Simons, R. L., Whibeck, L.B., Huck, S., & Melby, J. N. 1990. "Linking economic hardship to marital quality and instability." J of Marriage and the Family 52: 643-656. https://doi.org/10.2307/352931
- S. H. Oh, "A study Determinants of adolescents' adaptation in low income broken family", Doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, 2001.
- H. J. Kim, Y. R. Kang, "The relationship between job seeking stress and career maturity of dance majoring students", Korean J of Dance Education, Vol. 8, No 2, pp 57-84, 2008.
- A. S. Masten and J. D. Coastworth, "The development of competence in favorable and unfavorable environment: Lessons from research on successful children", American Psychologist, Vol. 53. pp. 205-221, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.53.2.205
- R. Karasek, C. Brisson. "The jobcontent questionnaire(JCQ): An instrument for internationally comparative assessments of psychosocial job characteristics", J of Occupational Health Psychology, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 322-355, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-89220.127.116.112
- Y. B. Lee, S. M. Lee, J. Y. Lee, "Development of korean academic burnout scale", The Korea Educational Review, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 59-78, 2009.
- J. Benson, N. El-Zahhar "Further refinement and validation of the revised test anxiety scale. structural equation modeling", A Multidisciplinary J, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 203-221, 1994.
- Y. R. Cho, "The role of metacognition in test anxiety above and beyond depression, perfectionistic concerns over mistakes, study skills, and academic self-efficacy", Korean J of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 709-727, 2008. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2008.27.3.008
- M. Csikszentmihalyi, "Creativity: flow and the psychology of discovery and invention(1st ed.), NY: Harper-Collins Publishers", 1996.
- A. Y. Kim, H. Y. Tack, C. H. Lee, "The development and validation of a learning flow scale for adults", KJEP, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 33-39, 2010.
- S. M. Hong, S. H. Kim, S. Y. Bae, "A study on convergence factors related with academic burnout of students in health majors in studying for TOEIC", J of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15. No. 6, pp. 315-317, 2017.
- O. Choi, W. S. Lee, "Mediating effects of self-efficacy in the relationships between academic burnout and school adjustment on middle school students", J of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12. No. 9, pp. 455-463, 2014.
- Y. Y. Kim, "A study on smartphone use by korean adult ELT learners", J of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12. No. 4, pp. 21-32, 2014.
- J. T. Kim, "The development and validation of a mobile-based english speaking test convergence model", J of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7 No. 2, pp. 25-31, 2016.
- H. S. Park, "A Study on the foreign accent of english stressed syllables," J of IT Convergence Society for SMB, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 51-57, 2016. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2016.6.4.051
- J. I. Yi, J. S. Han, "A study on developing a learning material screening system for improving foreign language learning efficiency," J of Convergence for Information Technology, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 87-92, 2017.
- M. Y. Choi, T. I. Han, "A Comparison of learning effectiveness in face-to-face versus blended learning of TOEIC", J of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13. No. 10, pp. 517-525, 2015.