- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The relationship among Smartphone addiction, Emotional intelligence, Critical thinking disposition and Communication skill for nursing students
간호대학생의 스마트폰 중독, 감성지능, 비판적 사고성향 및 의사소통능력 간의 관계
- Lee, Oi Sun (Department of Nursing, Changshin University) ;
- Kim, Mi Jung (Department of Nursing, Changwon Moonsung University)
- Received : 2017.06.01
- Accepted : 2017.07.20
- Published : 2017.07.28
This study was done to identify the relationship among smartphone addiction, emotional intelligence, critical thinking disposition and communication skill for nursing students. Subjects were 301 associate nursing students in Korea. The data were collected using self -report questionnaire from november 1 to november 30, 2016. Data were analyzed by frequencies, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation using SPSS Win 18.0. The score for Smartphone addiction was 2.84. Tolerance was the highest and Virtual world orientation was the lowest in the subdimension. 88.7% of the general user group, 9.6% of the potential risk user group and 1.7% of the high risk user group were in the order of the smartphone addiction. Smartphone addiction were significantly negative correlation with emotional intelligence and critical thinking disposition in nursing students. And the higher smartphone addiction was showed the lower emotional intelligence, critical thinking disposition. Smartphone addiction were no significantly correlation with communication skill in nursing students. Emotional intelligence were significantly positive correlation with critical thinking disposition and communication skill in nursing students. Therefore, To increase emotional intelligence and critical thinking disposition of nursing students, it is necessary to develop and test the program for decrease smartphone addiction of nursing students.
Communication skill;Critical thinking disposition;Emotional intelligence;Smartphone addiction;Nursing students
- B. N. Kim, "Effect of Smart-phone Addiction on Youth's Sociality Development", The Korea Contents Association, Vo.l 13, Vol. 4, pp.208-217, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.04.208
- M. S. Kwon, K. W. Lam, B. K, Seo, "A survey on internet addiction. Annal Report.: Ministry of Science ICT & Future Planning" 2014.
- National Information Society Agency, "Internet addiction survey in 2014", 2015.
- W. H. Jun, M. J. Jo, "Relationships between Ego-Resilience and Smartphone Addiction among Nursing Students", The Korea Contents Association, Vo.l 16, No. 6, pp.739-747, 2016.
- E. Y. Hong, "The Moderating Effect of Smartphone Addiction on the Relationship between Interpersonal Problem and Depression", Journal Korean Pubilc Health Nursing, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp.5-17, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2015.29.1.5
- C. S. Wong, K. S. Law, "The effects of leader and follower emotional intelligence on performance and attitude: An exploratory study" The Leadership Quarterly. 13(3):243-274. 2002. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1
- M. Y. Moon, "Correlates Social Networking Service Addiction and Mental.Social Health and Communication Competence among Nursing Students", The Korean journal of stress research, Vo.l 24, No. 4, pp.243-251. 2016. https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2016.24.4.243
- O. S. Lee, M. O. Gu, "Development and Effects of Emotional Intelligence Program for Undergraduate Nursing Students: Mixed Methods Research", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vo.l 44, No. 6, pp.682-696. 2016.
- E. Y. Kim, J. K. Kim, T. H. Nam, "The Relationship Between Depression and Smartphone Addiction among College Students and Graduate Students: Focused on the Mediating Effect of Difficulty in Emotion Regulation", Korea youth research association, Vo.l 23, No. 6, pp.97-118, 2016.
- N. Facione, P. Facione, &M. Sanchez. "Critical-thinking disposition as a measure of competent clinical judgment: the development of the California Critical Thinking Disposition Inventory". The Journal of Nursing Education, 33, pp.345-350. 1994.
- S. Y. Pak, "Relationship Between Self-Reflection, Critical Thinking Disposition, Muti Cultural Experience and Cultural Competence in nursing students", The Society of Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 14, No. 12, pp.345-355, 2016.
- Y. M. Kim. "Factors Influencing Problem Solving Abilities of Freshmen Nursing Students". The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp.190-197, 2010. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.2.190
- W. S. Lee, "The Effects of the Experience of Media Education and the Media Literacy on Critical Thinking Disposition", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 14, No. 10, pp.795-809, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.10.795
- O. S. Lee, M. O. Gu. "The Relationship between Emotional intelligence and Communication skill, Clinical competence & Clinical practice stress in Nursing Students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp.2749-2759, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2749
- Y. K Lee, C. T Chang, Y Lin, Z. H Cheng " The dark side of smartphone usage : Psychological traits", Computers in Human Behavior", Vol. 31, pp.373-383, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2013.10.047 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2013.10.047
- H. H. Park, M. Y. Jang, "The Effect of Nursing Students Smartphone Addiction and Emotional Intelligence Level on Quality of Life", The Korea Entertainment Industry Association, Vol 11, No 2, pp.217-227. 2017. DOI:10.21184/jkeia.2017.02.11.2.217 https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2017.02.11.2.217
- National Information Society Agency. Development of Smartphone Addiction Proneness Scale. Seoul: National Information Society Agency. http://www.iapc.or.kr. 2011 November.
- C. S. Wong, & K. S. Law, "The effects of leader and follower emotional intelligence on performance and attitude: An exploratory study", The Leadership QuarterlA.y, 13(3), pp.243-274, 2002.
- P. J. Hwang, "A Study on the Influence of An Employee's Emotional Intelligence on Organizational Effectiveness". Unpublished master's thesis, Sogang University, Seoul, 2007.
- J. Yoon. "Development of an Instrument for the Measurement of Critical Thinking Disposition : In Nursing". Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Catholic University, Seoul, 2004.
- R. B .Rubin, "Communication competence", pp. 94-129, In G. M. Phillips & J. T. Wood(Eds.), Speech Communication: Essays to communication the 75th anniversity of the Speech Communication Association. Carbondale: Southern Illinois university Press, 1990.
- K. H. Hur, "Construction and Validation of a Global Interpersonal Communication Competence Scale", Korean Society For Journalism And Communication Studies, Vol. 47, No. 6, pp.380-408, 2003.
- J. H. Park, J. H. Park, "The relationships among interpersonal relationship anxiety, college adjustment, self-control, and smartphone addiction in nursing students", Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 2017, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp.185-194, 2017. https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2017.28.1.185
- Y. H. Park, M. Y. Jang, "The Effect of Nursing Students Smartphone Addiction and Emotional Intelligence Level on Quality of Life", The Korea Entertainment Industry Association, Vol 11, No 2, pp.217-227. DOI :10.21184/jkeia.2017.02.11.2.217 https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2017.02.11.2.217
- S. S. Yu, J. H. Choi, "The Relationship of University Students Smartphone Addiction with Depression, Anxiety and Aggression: The Moderating Effect of Self-Control", Korea Institute of Youth Facility & Environment, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp.131-144, 2015.
- S. Y. Han, "A study on the Relationships among Smart Phone Addiction, Learning-Flow, and Learning Achievement of Nursing Students", Korean Association For Learner-Centered Curriculum And Instruction. Vol 15, No 12, pp.987-100. DOI :10.21184/jkeia.2017.02.11.2.217
- M. K. Ji, "The Structural Relationships among Sports Activity Engagement, Smartphone Addiction, Emotional Intelligence, Cognitive Flexibility and Antisocial Tendency for Adolescents", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Dankook university. 2015.
- J. E. You, S. J. Kim "The Effect of Smartphone Usage Habits of Mothers on Aggression and Emotional Intelligence of Young Children", Vol. 18, No.1, pp.325-335, 2017.
- G. H. Han, "Arelationship between Smartphone Addiction and Interpersonal Problems among University students: The Moderating Effects of Intellectual and Emotional Empathic Ability", Unpublished master's thesis Kangwon National University, 2013.
- I. S, Kwon, G. E. Lee, G. D. Kim, Y. H. Kim, G. M. Park, H. S. Park, S, G. Son, W. S. Lee, K. S. Jang, B. Y. Chung, "Development of a Critical Thinking Disposition Scale for Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 36, No. 6, pp.950-958, 2006. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.6.950
- I. K. Kim, S. W. Park, H. M. Choi,"The Relationship among Smartphone addiction, Communication ability, Loneliness and Interpersonal relationship for university students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp.637-648, 2017.
- S. M. Kim, "Smartphone use level of Nursing college students, the relationship between Communication Competence, Social Avoidance and Distress", Unpublished master's thesis Changnam National University, 2014.