- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The effects of Peer Mentoring Learnings-based Preclinical OSCE program on Self-Confidence on Core Basic Nursing Skills and Critical Thinking Disposition for Nursing Student
임상실습 전 동료멘토링 학습을 적용한 OSCE 프로그램이 간호학생의 핵심기본간호술 수행자신감과 비판적 사고성향에 미치는 효과
- Yoon, Me-Ok (Department of Nursing College of Hanil University & Presbyterian Theological Seminary) ;
- Ju, Youn-Sook (Department of Nursing College of Hanil University & Presbyterian Theological Seminary)
- Received : 2017.05.31
- Accepted : 2017.07.20
- Published : 2017.07.28
This study was performed to examine the effects of the peer mentoring learning-based program, named preclinical objective structured clinical examination (OSCE), on self-confidence on core basic nursing skills and critical thinking disposition of nursing students. A nonequivalent control group pretest-posttest design was used. The participants were 68 sophomore nursing students of a university in J province. The research period was conducted from February 2016 to February 2017. As a result, OSCE increased self-confidence on core basic nursing skills and critical thinking disposition, compared to the control group. Post self-confidence on core basic nursing skills had positive correlations with post critical thinking. Therefore, we suggest that based on this study findings, further research be done to compare and analyze effectiveness of various peer mentoring learning-based OSCE programs.
Peer mentoring learnings;Objective structured clinical examination;Nursing student;Core basic nursing skills;Self-confidence;Critical thinking disposition
- M. Y. Jho, "Effects of core fundamental nursing skills education on self-efficacy, clinical competence and practice satisfaction in nursing students." Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 292-301, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2014.21.3.292
- J. Yoon, K. J. Kim, M. S. Choi, "The Effects of OSCE Application Before Clinical Practice for Nursing Students." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 273-284, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.273
- Y. H. Kim, K. S. Jang, "Effect of a Simulation-based Education on Cardio- pulmonary Emergency Care Knowledge, Clinical Performance Ability and Problem Solving Process in New Nurses." Journal of the Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol. 41, No. 2, pp. 245-255, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.2.245
- Y. S. Byeon, N. Y. Lim, K. S. Kang, M. S. Sung, J. S. Won, I. S. Ko, S. O. Chang, H. J. Jang, S. H. Yang, H. S. Kim, "Clinical Nursing Competency for NewGraduate Nurses; A Grounded Theory Approach." Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 47-56, 2003.
- H. J. Jang, Y. K. Kwag, "Affecting Factors on Clinical Competence of Nursing Students." Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 9, pp. 4380-4387, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.9.4380
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education. "Nursing education accreditation-Essential of fundamental nursing skills evaluation items protocol revision (The third edition). "Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education; 2014.
- I. S. Seo, S. M. Oh, D. W. Choi, H. O. Park, R. W. Ma, "Effects of Basic Clinical Practice Program in Academic Motivation, Critical Thinking and Clinical Nursing Competence of Nursing Students." Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 2276-2284, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.4.2276
- G. H. Park, & S. H. Choi, "Effects of Open Laboratory Self-directed Practice on Knowledge, Self-confidence, Skill Competency, and Satisfaction of Intravenous Infusion." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 63-71, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.1.63
- M. R. Yoo, M. S. Kang, H. W. Kim, H. L. Han, & J. Y. Choi, "The Effects of Self-directed Practice using Peer-tutoring on Confidence, Performance and Learning Satisfaction of Nursing Students in Practicing Core Nursing Skills." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 27-36, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2017.23.1.27
- L. McKenna, J. French, "A step ahead: Teaching undergraduate students to be peer teachers. Nurse Education in Practice," Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 141-145, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2010.10.003
- J. S. Park, M. J. Choi, S. Y. Jan, "The Effects of Preclinical Clinical Performance Examination on Nursing Students' Confidence in Nursing Skills and Critical Thinking Competence." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 75-85, 2015.
- Y. R. Lee, H. l. Kang, "Effect of mentoring senior core fundamemental nursing skills education on clinical competence and critical thinking disposition in nursing students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 441-448, 2016.
- E. Kajita, 'Kyouiku hyouka dai 2han hotei 2ban (Education evaluation 2nd ed. 2nd Rev. ed.).Tokyo, Japan: YuhikakuSousho, 2010.
- S. G. Lee, Y. H. Shin, "Effects of Self-directed Feedback Practice using Smartphone Videos on Basic Nursing Skills, Confidence in Performance and Learning Satisfaction."Journal of the Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 283-292, 2015.
- J. Yoon, "Development of an instrument for the measurement of critical thinking disposition: in nursing," Unpublished doctoral dissertation, The Catholic University, 2004.
- A. Christiansen, A. Bell, "Peer learning partnerships: Exploring the experience of pre‐registration nursing students." Journal of Clinical Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 5-6, pp. 803-810, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2009.02981.x
- R. Stone, S. Cooper, R. Cant, "The value of peer learning in undergraduate nursing education: a systematic review." International Scholarly Research Network, Vol. 2013, pp. 1-10, 2013.
- E. H. Gil, H. Y. Oh, S. K. Shin, Y. H. Park, Y. E. Lee, J. A. Park, "Comparison of Confidence in Practice and Satisfaction by Feedback Types Following Objective Structured Clinical Examination OSCE) among Nursing Students." Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 318-327, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2015.22.3.318
- M. S. Jung, Y. S. Kwon, "The Effects of Convergence-Based Reeducation on Core Basic Nursing Skills on Nursing Students'Competence and Confidence." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 295-302, 2015.
- J. M. Kim, Y. S. Choi, "Effect of practice education using the simulator, critical thinking, problem solving ability and nursing process confidence of nursing students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No.4, pp. 263-270, 2015.
- Y. R. Yeom, K. B. Choi, "Effects of the Reeducation of Core Fundamental Nursing Skills on Clinical Stress, Critical Thinking Disposition and Self-Confidence in Nursing Skills of Senior Nursing Students." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 283-293, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.3.283
- H. J. Kang, M. Y. Kim, H. J. Choe, "S-PBL Effects of Integrated Nursing Practicum by applying Simulation-Problem Based Learning on Critical Thinking Disposition," Nursing Process Competence, and Self-confidence on Core Basic Nursing Skills. " Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 495-508, 2016.