- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Life Stress and Circadian Rhythm on Depression in College Students
전문대학생들의 생활스트레스, 일주기성이 우울감에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Mee (Dept. of Health Administration, Gwangju Health University)
- 김미 (광주보건대학교 보건행정과)
- Received : 2017.05.19
- Accepted : 2017.07.20
- Published : 2017.07.28
The purpose of this study was to measure the depression level of college students and to analyze the effects of college life stress and circadian rhythm on depression. A questionnaire survey was conducted to 720 students of college in Gwangju area from October 10, 2016 to October 31, and 687 of the collected questionnaires were analyzed. As this result, 34.5% of the students needed treatment for depression, and 71.6% of the students had mild depression. Second, depression was higher in female students, in higher grade students and students living apart from their parents. Third, evening activity type showed higher depression than morning activity type. Fourth, regression analysis revealed that depression was influenced by stress of value problem, circadian rhythm, academic stress, and getting a job stress. The results of this study suggest that students should be able to detect depression early and run a mental health program to relieve college life stress in college. However, this study is limited to some local college students and is not suitable for generalization. It is necessary to conduct research to compare university students and college students in the future.
Depression;College Life Stress;Circadian Rhythm;Academic stress;Stress of getting job
Supported by : Gwangju Health University
- W. Kim, "Current Status and Influencing of Depression among College Students; Focused on Using the PHQ-9", Korean Journal of Social Welfare Education, Vol. 20, pp. 203-229, 2012.
- J. Y. Kim, S. I. Nam, S. A. Choi, "A study on the relationship between stress, depression, and suicidal inclination -Focusing on multiple group analysis according to TSL management method", Korean Journal of Social Welfare Research, Vol. 22, pp. 275-308, 2009.
- S. Y. Bae, S. H, Kim, "Analysis of Convergent Influence of Positive Emotion, Negative Emotion and Job Seeking Stress on Depression among College Women of Health Affiliated Educations", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.14, No.3, pp. 269-278, 2016.
- S. Y. Lee, J. S. Lee, "The Convergent Effect of Stress, Social support and Self-esteem on Depression in Female Students", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.14, No.12, pp.335 -344, 2016.
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition, text revision, DSM-IV-TR. Washington, DC, 2000.
- K. H. Park, "Development of a Structural Equation Model to estimate University Students' Depression", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 38, No. 6, pp. 779-788, 2008. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.6.779
- S. Y. Bae, S. H, Kim, "Analysis of Convergent Factors Related to Depression Among Some College Women of Health Affiliated Educations", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.13, No.10, pp. 367-376, 2015.
- M. Kim, "A study on self-efficacy, college-life adjustment and college satisfaction for community college students", Journal of College Education, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 103-114, 2011.
- J. H. Lee, "The Convergence Study of Life Stress and Health Clinic User Satisfaction in Female Students: focused on the one women's University", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 89-96. 2016.
- J. H. Moon, H. K. Yoon, H. W. Park, "The Influence of Self-Related & Parental Factors on the Depression of Adolescents from a Low Social Economic Status Background", Family and Environment Research , Vol. 94, No. 6, pp.57-66, 2011.
- E. Y. Yu, C. k. Yoon, Y. J. Yang, "The Relationship between Self-esteem and Mental Health of College Student in Some Regions", Journal of The Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 13. No. 2, pp. 172-178, 2012.
- M. S. Kim, "The Study of the Effect of Life Stress and the Mediator of Stress Coping on the Depression and Alcohol Use of University Students", The Journal of The Korean Association of Psychotherapy, Vol. 12. No. 1, pp.25-37, 2010.
- K. M. Yang, "The Effect of Self-Esteem and Depression on Smartphone Addiction among University Students", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 113-123, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.113
- S. H. Kang, D. S. Ra, "A Study on the Mediating Effects of Depression between Senior Student' University Life Stress and Suicidal Ideation". Korea Journal of Youth studies, Vol. 20. No. 4, pp.49-71, 2013.
- H. Y. Jung, "The Convergence Influence of Life Stress, Depression and Ego Resiliency on College Life Adaptation in Nursing Students", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.14, No.7,pp. 259-268, 2016.
- J. Y. Park, J. K. Kim, "The Effects of Life Stress on University Student's Suicide and Depression: Focusing on the Mediating Pathway of Family and Friend's Support", Korean Journal of Youth, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp.167-189, 2014.
- J. Y. Kim, "Suicide-Related Behaviors among College students and Suicide Prevention", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.10, No.11, pp. 525-533, 2016.
- Y. H. Kim, M. S. Yang, H. R. Park, "A Study on a Relationship Between University Students Life Stress and Suicidal Ideation: Mediating Effect of Mental Health", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.13, No.11, pp. 291-301, 2015.
- W. K. Choi, J. S. Kim, " The Relation Between Stress and Suicide Ideation among College Students: The Moderating and Mediating Effects of Cognitive Emotion Regulation", Korea Journal of Youth studies, Vol. 23. No. 3, pp. 77-104, 2012.
- M. H. Han, "On the Relationship between Job Seeking Preparation Capacity and Stress from College Life", Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 81-86, 2017.
- S. Y. Kim, "Convergence Study on The Influence of Dental Hygiene Students' Stress in Their Major Satisfaction and Career-Decision Attitude", Journal of IT Convergence Society for SMB, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 115-122, 2016. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2016.6.4.115
- J. K. Kim, "Circadian Rhythm and Psychological Adjustment", Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 129-140, 1998.
- Kripke, D. F., Mullaney, D. J., Atkinson, M. L., & Wolf, S., "Circadian rhythm disorders in manic-depressives", Biological Psychiatry, Vol. 55, pp. 875-882, 1978.
- Hess, B., Sherman, M. F., Goodman, M., "Eveningness predicts academic procrastination: the mediating role of neuroticism". Journal of Social Behavior and Personality, Vol. 15, pp. 61-74, 2000.
- K. H. Suh, "Drinking Behavior, Circadian Rhythm, and Adjustment for Campus Life among College Students", Journal of Alcohol Science, Vol. 4, No. 1. pp. 33-40, 2003.
- Kerkhof, G., "Inter-individual differences in the human circadian system; A review", Biological Psychology, Vol. 20, pp. 83-112, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-0511(85)90019-5
- D. S. Park, E. Y. Yu, "Effects of Career Barriers, Pereived by Undergraduate Students Majoring in Public Health in Technical Colleges, on Career", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.14, No.12, pp. 313-321, 2016.
- E. J. Kwon, 2013 Junior college admission student workshop materials, http;// www.kcce.or.kr, September 4, 2013
- H. M. Park, "An Analysis On The Reasons of Junior College Students' Dropouts", pp. 26-32. Kyonggi University, 2010.
- Kroenke, K, Spitzer, R. L., Williams, J. B., "The PHQ-9; Validity of Brief Depression Severity Measure." Journal of General Internal Medicine Vol. 16, pp. 606-613, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1525-1497.2001.016009606.x
- Smith, C. S., Reilly, C., & Midkiff, K., "Evaluation of three circadian rhythm questionnaires with suggestions for an improved measure of morningness", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 74, No. 5, pp. 728-738, 1998
- K. K. Chon, K. H. Kim, J. S. Yi, "Development of the revised life stress scale for college students", The Korean Psychological Association, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 316-335, 2000
- H. S. Choi, J. H. Choi, H. J. Koh, "Standardization of the Korean Version of Patient Health Questionnaire-9 as a Screening Instrument for Major Depression Disorder", Korean Journal of Family Medicine, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 114-119, 2007.
- S. J. Park, H. R. Choi, J. H. Choi, K. W. Kim, J. P. Hong, "Reliability and Validity of the Korean Version of the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 (PHQ-9)", Anxiety and mood Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 119-124, 2010.
- Hair, J. F., Anderson, R. E., Tathan, R. L. and Black, W. C., "Multivariate Data Analysis: With Readings", 4th ed, New York, Prentice Hall, 1995.