- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effects of a practical work-oriented education program on the ability of newly recruited nurses in execution of clinical competency, critical thinking and turnover rate
실무중심 교육프로그램이 신규 간호사의 임상수행능력, 비판적 사고와 이직율에 미치는 영향
- Park, Jung Hee (Dept. of Emergency Medical Service, Konyang University) ;
- Lee, Mi Hyang (Dept. of Nursing, Konyang University)
- Received : 2017.06.02
- Accepted : 2017.07.20
- Published : 2017.07.28
This study aims to confirm the effects of the practical work-oriented educational program applied to the nursing students prior to the commencement of their employment on the ability of the newly recruited nurses in execution of clinical competency, critical thinking and turnover rates. It is a single-group pre-post design and non-equivalent control group design. As for the results of the research, nurses who participated in the practical work-oriented educational program prior to employment displayed an increase in their ability to execute clinical competency and critical thinking capabilities along with the reduction in their turnover rate within 1month after their employment. The results indicate that practical work-oriented educational program form the stage of nursing school years prior to employment at hospital in important and the practical work-oriented educational program attempted as a new means of management of human resources for new nurses can be used as a beneficial program at the time of the development of education programs at the hospitals ans nursing schools.
Education program;Nurse;Clinical competency;Critical thinking;Turnover
- H. H. Park & K. O. Lee, S. O. Kim. "A study on the participation motivation of clinical nurses in job training." Journal of Digital convergence, Vol. 14, No. 8, pp. 319-329, 2016. DOI://http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.8.319. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.8.319
- H. I. Park & K. H. Lee. "The effects of social intelligence and burnout on turnover intention in nurses: an exploratory study." Journal of Digital convergence, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 325-336. 2016. DOI://http:dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.325 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.325
- Korean Health Industry Development Institute. Survey on actual condition of nurse's activities. 2014.
- S. S. Han, I. S. Sohn & N. E. Kim. "New nurse turnover intention and influencing factors." Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, Vol. 39, No. 6, pp. 78-887, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.6.878 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.6.878
- J. H. Kim & S. A. Park. "The Relationship between coping strategies and a nursing organizational effective in staff nurses." Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 97-105, 2007.
- Y. M. Kim & S. N. Kim. "The convergence study of experience of turnover in new graduate nurses within one year. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No.4, pp. 97-106, 2016.
- H. S. Park & J. Y. Han. "Self-leadership, critical thinking disposition, satisfaction of clinical practice and clinical practice competency of nursing students." Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 695-706, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2015.26.3.695
- Y. O. Ha & J. Y. An. "A convergence study on the effects of core nursing skills improvement program on nursing skills competence in nursing students". Journal of Korea Convergence Society. Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 223-231, 2017.
- H. S. Kim, "A study on relationship between stress of clinical practice and clinical competency in nursing student." Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol, 16, pp. 64-76. 2002.
- C. Barrett &F. Myrick, "Job satisfaction in preceptorship and its effect on the clinical performance of the preceptee." Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 364-371, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1998.00511.x
- H. Y. Lee, H. S. Lim & M. Y. Kim, "The clinical practice of newly graduated nurses who are resigned." Journal of Qualitative Research, Vol.12, No. 1, pp36-48, 2011.
- S. H. Bae & J. S. Park. "The recognition of achievement and importance of nursing program outcome among nursing students." The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 203-214, 2013. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.2-3 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.203
- Y. S. Kim, J. W. Park, H. S. Kim, M.. S. Yoo, K. S. Bang & J. H. Park. "Perception of professors and nurses on clinical practice teaching and organizational integration of colleges and clinical nursing departments." The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 292-300, 2007.
- H. H. Han. "A study of convergence on frequency of performance, self-confidence, performance assessment scores of core nursing skills of nursing students. Journal of Digital convergence, Vol. 14, No. 8, pp.355-362. 2016.
- Y. R. Lee & H. L. Kang. "Effects of mentoring senior core fundamental nursing skills education on clinical competence and critical thinking disposition in nursing students. Journal of Digital convergence. Vol. 14, No. 11, pp. 441-448. 2016. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.11.441 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.11.441
- J. A. Park, B. J. Kim, "Critical thinking dispositon and clinical competence in general hospital nurses." Journal of Korean Academy Nurses. Vol. 39, No. 6. pp. 840-850. 2009.
- H. S. Cho, "A Study on the critical thinking disposition and clinical competency of nursing students." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. Vol. 11. No. 2 pp. 222-231, 2005.
- K. A. Shin & B. H. Cho. "Professional self-concept, critical thinking disposition and clinical competence in nursing students." Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 46-56, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.1046 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.1.046
- Y. W. Shin, H. J. Lee & Y. J. Lim, "Predictors of clinical competence in new graduate nurses." Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 37-47, 2010. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.1.37
- E. K. Lee & J. A. Park. "Ego-resiliance and the clinical competence of nursing students." Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing. Vol. 27 No. 2, pp. 293-303, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.2.293 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.2.293
- J. Y. Lee & S. Y. Park. "Relationship between the practice environment of nursing and critical thinking disposition of nurses in local general hospitals." Journal Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 145-153, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.2.145 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.2.145
- F. Myrick. "Preceptorship and critical thinking in nursing education." Journal of Nursing Education, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp. 154-164. 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3928/0148-4834-20020401-05
- K. J. Ko. "A study on the critical thinking dispositon and clinical competency of nursing students." Master thesis. Kwandong Uinvertisy. 2003.
- H. Y. Choi. "A study on the relationship between clinical competency and stress." Master thesis. Chonnam National University. 1991.
- Y. S. Kang, H. Cho & Y. S. Roh. "The effects of cooperative clinical nursing education program on the competency and satisfaction of nursing students in clinical practice'." The Journal of Korean Academy Society of Nursing Education. Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 13-20, 2006.
- J. D. Lee. "The Study of preceptor-guided nursing students' critical thinking propensity, clinical competency and satisfaction for clinical practice." Master thesis. Chonnam National University. 2006.
- E. Y. Choi & J. Y. Kim. "The Relationship of core competencies(problem solving ability, communication ability, self-directed learning ability) to critical thinking." Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 412-419, 2007.