- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Study on Factors Affecting Intention of Switching China's Mobile Telecommunication Service - Focusing on PPM Theory
중국 이동통신시장에서 서비스 전환의도에 영향을 미치는 요인에 관한 연구 - PPM 이론을 중심으로
- Jang, Hae-won (Shinheung Telecom) ;
- Kwak, Na-yeon (Graduate school of Information, Yonsei University) ;
- Lee, Choong C. (Graduate school of Information, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2017.05.23
- Accepted : 2017.07.20
- Published : 2017.07.28
China's mobile communication market has been growing quantitatively and qualitatively since 2000. Currently, it has secured 1.27 billion mobile subscribers and many of the Korean companies try to enter the Chinese market and cooperation with companies in China is being held. Thus understanding of the Chinese markets is the key to better prepare for future international competition. This study is to identify factors affecting switching intentions and behaviors for Chinese mobile subscribers to other mobile service providers by the PPM and it is to derive correlations between strategies of mobile service providers and users' switching intention by the groups classified by ARPU. We conducted a survey targeting 270 Chinese mobile users and analyze it by using Smart PLS 2.0. In conclusion, push effects have positive influence on intention to switching and relational switching cost among mooring effect have significantly negative influence on intention to switching In particular, intention to switching depending on the groups classified by a level of their ARPU have been shown as significantly different. This study will extend theoretical range of PPM theory in explaining users' switching behaviors and contribute to establish strategies to enter the chinese market.
Chinese telecommunication service market;Intention to Switch;Telecommunication service provider switching;PPM theory;ARPU
- "Welcome to the networked society, Ericsson Annual Report", 2014.
- Qi, J., Li, L., Li, Y. and Shu, H., "An extension of technology acceptance model: Analysis of the adoption of mobile date service in China", System Research and Behavioral Science, Vol.26, No. 3, pp.391-407, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/sres.964
- KB Securities research center, "2014 Chain of China Mobile", 2014.
- Ministry of Industry and Information Technology of the People's Republic of China, 2013.
- Conex, "ICT industry of China" 2016.
- M.J Bitner," Evaluating Service Encounters: The Effects of Physical Surroundings and Employee Responses", Journal of Marketing, Vol.54, No.2, PP.69-82, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251871
- M.Givon, "Variety Seeking Through Brand Switching", Marketing Science, Vol.3, Issue,1, pp.1-22, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.3.1.1
- Carpenter, Gregory S. and Donald R. Lehmann, "A Model of Marketing Mix, Brand Switching, and Competition," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.22, No.3, p. 318-29, 1985. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151428
- Keaveney, S. M. "Customer switching behavior in service industries: an exploratory study," The Journal of Marketing, Vol.58, No.2, pp. 71-82, 1995.
- Blinn, J. D., Duncan, S. R. and Barbara, G., "1990 Cost of Risk Survey: A Yardstick for Management," Risk management, pp. 46-50, 1991.
- Hendriks, M., De Jong, J. D., Den Brink‐Muinen, V., Groenewegen, P. P., "The intention to switch health insurer and actual switching behaviour: are there differences between groups of people?", Health Expectations, Vol.13, No.2, pp.195-207. 2010.
- Zhang, R., Wang, K., Chen, K., Rong, R, "Customer switching intention in service industries and the effect of customer perceived value. Paper presented at the Service Operations and Logistics, and Informatics", IEEE International Conference on, 2007.
- S.K.Park and Y.S. Jeon, "A Study on Structural Relationship among Perceived Service Quality, Customer Satisfaction, Affective Commitment and Customer Loyalty of Mobile Telecommunication Customers: Based on the Moderating Effect of Price Perception", Journal of Industrial Economics and Business, Vol.27, No.4 pp.1749-1770, 2014.
- Vinita Kaura, Ch. S. Durga Prasad, Sourabh Sharma, "Service quality, service convenience, price and fairness, customer loyalty, and the mediating role of customer satisfaction", International Journal of Bank Marketing, Vol. 33 Issue: 4, pp.404-422, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJBM-04-2014-0048
- Coulter, K. S. and Coulter, R. A., "Determinants of trust in a service provider: the moderating role of length of relationship", Journal of Services Marketing, Vol.16, No.1, pp. 35-50, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1108/08876040210419406
- A. Keropyan and A.Gil-Lafuente, "Customer loyalty programs to sustain consumer fidelity in mobile telecommunication market", Expert systems with applications, Vol.39, Issue.12, pp.11269-11275, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2012.03.069
- Ntale, P. D., Ngoma, M., Musiime, A., "Relationship marketing, word of mouth communication and consumer loyalty in the Ugandan mobile telecommunication industry", African Journal of Business Management, Vol.7, No.5, pp.354-359. 2013.
- Al-Refai, A. N., Noor, M., Azila, N. "Service quality dimensions and customer satisfaction in Malaysian mobile telecommunication market: An empirical investigation of the mobile phone market in Malaysia", International Postgraduate Business Journal, Vol.6, No.1, pp. 27-48, 2014.
- Nimako, S. G. and Ntim, B. A.,' "Construct Specification and Misspecification within the Application of Push-Pull-Mooring Theory of Switching Behaviors," Nature, Vol.1, No.5, pp. 83-95, 2013.
- Bansal, H. S., Taylor, S. F., and James, Y. S. "Migrating" to new service providers: Toward a unifying framework of consumers switching behaviors," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.31, No.1, pp. 96-115, 2005.
- J.S.Jung, M.H.Oh and H.S.Han, "Understanding Customer Switching Behavior in the Airline Industry : A Perspective of the Push-Pull-Mooring Framework", Korean Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, Vol.24, No. 1, pp.261-280, 2015.
- Hou, A. C., Chern, C. C., Chen, H. G. and Chen, Y. C., "Migrating to a new virtual world': Exploring MMORPG switching through human migration theory," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.27, No.5, pp. 1892-1903, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2011.04.013
- Lai. J. Y., Debbarma, S. and Ulhas, K. R., "An empirical study of consumer switching behavior towards mobile shopping: a Push-Pull-Mooring model," International Journal of Mobile Communications, Vol.10, No.4, pp. 386-404, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJMC.2012.048137
- Xu, Y. C., Yang, Y., Cheng, Z., & Lim, J. Retaining and attracting users in social networking services: An empirical investigation of cyber migration", The Journal of Strategic Information Systems, Vol.23, No.3, pp. 239-253, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsis.2014.03.002
- Bansal, H. S., & Taylor, S. F. (1999). Beyond service quality and customer satisfaction: investigating additional antecedents of service provider switching intentions. Developments in Marketing Science, 22, pp. 75-82, 1999.
- Cronin Jr, J. J., Brady, M. K., & Hult, G. T. M. "Assessing the effects of quality, value, and customer satisfaction on consumer behavioral intentions in service environments", Journal of retailing, Vol.72, No.2, pp. 193-218, 2000.
- Burnham, T. A., Frels, J. K., & Mahajan, V. "Consumer switching costs: a typology, antecedents, and consequences", Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.31, No.2, pp. 109-126, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070302250897
- Ye, C., & Potter, R, "The role of habit in post-adoption switching of personal information technologies: an empirical investigation." Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Vol.28, No.1, 585-610, 2011.
- Jones, M. A., Mothersbaugh, D. L., & Beatty, S. E., "Switching barriers and repurchase intentions in services", Journal of retailing, Vol.76, No.2, pp. 259-274, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(00)00024-5
- J.H.Ahn, H.M.Baek, H.S.Limand E.Y.Chun, "Effects of User Propensity on Total Charges of Mobile Communication : The Role of Mobile Services", The Journal of Korean Institute of Communications and Information Sciences, Vol.35, No.6, pp. 908-920, 2010.
- Malhotra, A., & Malhotra, C. K. "Exploring switching behavior of US mobile service customers", Journal of Services Marketing, Vol.27, No.1, pp.13-24, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1108/08876041311296347
- Hong, W., & Thong, J. Y, "Internet privacy concerns: an integrated conceptualization and four empirical studies", MIS Quarterly, Vol.37, No.1, pp. 275-298, 2013. https://doi.org/10.25300/MISQ/2013/37.1.12
- Coelho, P. S., & Henseler, J.. "Creating customer loyalty through service customization", European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 46, Issue: 3/4, pp. 331-356, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090561211202503
- Srinivasan, S. S., Anderson, R., & Ponnavolu, K. "Customer loyalty in e-commerce: an exploration of its antecedents and consequences", Journal of retailing, Vol.78, No.1, pp. 41-50, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(01)00065-3
- Chung, Y. F., "Pull-and-suck effects in Taiwan mobile phone subscribers switching intentions," Telecommunications Policy, Vol.35, No.2, pp. 128-140, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.telpol.2010.12.003
- S.H.Kim, "Moderating Effects of Handset Subsidy on the Mobile Communication Service Switching Intention", The Journal of Korean Institute of Communications and Information Sciences, Vol.14, No.11, pp. 389-397, 2014.
- Zhang, K. Z., Cheung, C. M., & Lee, M. K, "Online service switching behavior: The case of blog service providers", Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, Vol.13, No.3, pp.184-197, 2012.
- Gefen, David and Straub, Detmar, "A Practical Guide To Factorial Validity Using PLS-Graph: Tutorial And Annotated Example," Communications of the Association for Information Systems: Vol. 16, Article 5, 2005.
- Hair Jr., J.H., Anderson, R.E., Tatham, R.L., Black, W.C., "Multivariate Data Analysis. Prentice Hall, New Jersey". 1998.
- C. Fornell and David F. Larcker, "Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error: Algebra and Statistics", Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 382-388, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150980
- Chin, W., "PLS-Graph User's Guide Version 3.0. Soft Modelling, Houston, TX", 2001.
- Bollen, Kenneth; Lennox, Richard, "Conventional wisdom on measurement: A structural equation perspective", Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 110, No.2, pp. 305-314, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.110.2.305
- Cheng Shuang, "Study on Chinese Repurchase Intention of Group-buying Social Commerce: The Moderating Role of Shopping Habit", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8. No. 2, pp. 169-181, 2017.
- W.J Lee, "Factors on the Satisfaction of Korean Medical Tour Convergence Services of Chinese College Students", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8. No. 2, pp. 53-62, 2017. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.2.053
- K.I Kim, J.Y Park, "Cultural Differences impact on the ERP System Implementation," Journal of IT Convergence Society for SMB, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 1-9, 2016.
- S.Y Kim, "Convergence Study on The Influence of Multicultural Competence on Organizational Effectiveness," Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 11-16, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14801/jaitc.2017.7.1.11