- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Case Study on Programming Learning of Non-SW Majors for SW Convergence Education
SW융합인재 양성을 위한 비전공자 프로그래밍 학습에 관한 사례 연구
- Seo, Jooyoung (DASAN University College, AJOU University)
- 서주영 (아주대학교 다산학부대학)
- Received : 2017.05.30
- Accepted : 2017.07.20
- Published : 2017.07.28
Recently, there has been a growing interest in SW education for non-SW major in order to nurture SW convergence talent. In Korea, it is a tendency to make SW mandatory for basic education to all students regardless of their major, starting with SW-oriented universities. Through a case study of programming lesson, the paper compared differences in academic achievements and difficulties of learning between SW majors and non-majors and between the humanities department and the science department. As a result, although there was no significant difference in academic achievement according to majors, the humanities department had more difficulty in implementing programs such as practices, assignments, and team project. Through the interview, lack of understanding about programming problem itself, lack of relationship with friend or tutor that can help assignments, and difficulty in learning motivation by piecemeal curriculum knowledge alone were the main causes. The results will be expected to propose the direction of SW education for non-SW majors.
Supported by : 정보통신기술진흥센터
- Ministry of Education, Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planing, "Plan for Human Resource Development for SW-oriented Society", 2015.
- S. H. Kim, "Analysis of Non-Computer Majors' Difficulties in Computational Thinking Education", The Journal of Korean Association of Computer Education, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp.15-23, 2015.
- S. H. Park, "Study of SW Education in University to enhance Computational Thinking", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp.1-10, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.1
- S. Y. Pi, "A Study on Coding Education of Non-Computer Majors for IT Convergence Education", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 10, pp.1-8, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.10.1
- K. M. Kim, H. S. Kim, "A Case Study on Necessity of Computer Programming for Interdisciplinary Education", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 11, pp.339-348, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.11.339
- Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planing, "Plan for SW-oriented University", 2015.
- J. E. Na, "Computational Thinking Education, Curriculum Development, Its Status", Computational Thinking Forum, pp.45-51, 2015.
- G. S. Ryu, "Development of Educational Model for ICT-based Convergence Expert", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp.75-80, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.075
- J. H. Ku, "Designing an App Inventor Currriculum for Computational Thinking based Non-majors Software Education", Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp.61-66, 2017. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2017.7.1.061
- Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planing, "Current Status and Implications of SW Education in the Major Countries", 2015.
- SW oriented University Home page, SW oriented University Operation Plan, https://www.software.kr/um/um05/um0501/um050102/um05010203.do, May 29, 2017.
- SW oriented University Home page, Overview of the Participating Universities of SW oriented University, https://www.software.kr/um/um02/um0207 /um020701.do, May 29, 2017.
- SW oriented University Home page of Gachon University, http://xsw.gachon.ac.kr/cmd, May 29, 2017.
- SWoriented University Home page of Korea University, http://helloworld.korea.ac.kr, May 29, 2017.
- Sungkyun SW Education Institute Home page, http://ssen.skku.edu, May 29, 2017.
- SW oriented University Home page of Chungnam University, http://wise.cnu.ac.kr, May 29, 2017.
- K. S. Oh, S. J. Ahn, "A Study on Development of Educational Contents about Computational Thinking", The Journal of Korean Association of Computer Education, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp.11-20, 2016.
- H. Y. Jung, "An Empirical Study on Information Liberal Edication in University based on IT Fluency and Computational Thinking Concept", Journal of The Korea Society of Computer and Information, Vol, 19, No, 2, pp.263-274, 2014. https://doi.org/10.9708/jksci.2014.19.2.263
- J. M. Wing, "Computational Thinking", Communication of ACM, Vol. 49, No. 3, pp.33-35, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1145/1118178.1118215
- The Korea Economic Daily, "Samsung, Link to 25 Universities, Human Resource Training for SW Convergence", http://www.hankyung.com/news/app/ newsview.php?aid=2014052674831, May 29, 2017.
- SW oriented University Home page of Pusan University, SW Convergence Education, https://www.software.kr/um/um02/um0207/um020712.do, May 29, 2017.
- SW oriented University Home page of Ajou University, SW Convergence Education, https://www.software.kr/um/um02/um0207/um020708.do, May 29, 2017.
- SW oriented University Home page of Kyungpook University, SW Convergence Education, https://www.software.kr/um/um02/um0207/um020703.do, May 29, 2017.
- SW oriented University Home page of Sungkyunkwan University, SW Convergence Education, https://www.software.kr/um/um02/um0207/um020706.do, May 29, 2017.
- M. J. Oh, "Non-Major Students' Perceptions of Programming Education Using the Scratch Programming Language", The Journal of Korean Association of Computer Education, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp.1-11, 2017.