- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A exploratory study for Influential factors of smartphone over-dependence in elder and older Group
장·노년층의 스마트폰 과의존 영향요인에 대한 탐색적 연구
- Bae, Sung-Man (The Cyber University of Korea) ;
- Koh, Young-Sam (National Information Society Agency)
- Received : 2017.05.26
- Accepted : 2017.07.20
- Published : 2017.07.28
Smartphone use has become a part of everyday life, not only for adolescents but also for elderly and older people. Thus, this study explored the effect of demographic variables, the amount of smartphone usage, type of smartphone use and psychosocial variables on smartphone dependence of the elder group. We analyzed the data of 5627 (50s and 60s) of the Internet overdependence survey data of the Korea Information Society Agency in 2016. As a result of hierarchical multiple regression analysis, More frequency of smartphone use of weekday and weekend, and usage time of smartphone of weekday were related to greater smartphone dependence. More smartphone use for information seeking and games were associated with greater smartphone dependence. And, as loneliness and anxiety increased, smartphone dependence increased, while smartphone dependence decreased, as social capital increased. Through this study, it is necessary to understand characteristics related to smartphone dependence of elder and older group, and to use this knowledge to solve their smartphone dependence. Future studies also need to identify the causal relationship between predictors of smartphone dependence in elderly and older people.
Smartphone over-Dependence;Internet Addiction;Old age computer education;Aging;the aged
- K. Demirci, H. Orhan, A. Demirdas, A. Akpinar, H. Sert, "Validity and reliability of the Turkish version of the smartphone addiction scale in a younger population", Bulletin of Clinical Psychopharmacology, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 226-234, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5455/bcp.20140710040824
- J. S. Kim, J. S. Baik, "Effects of Smartphone Addiction Level on Adolescent School Adjustment", Journal of the Korea Institute of Youth Facility and Environment, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 53-64, 2016.
- X. Zheng, M. K. O. Lee, "Excessive use of mobile social networking sites: negative consequences on individuals", Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 65, pp. 65-76, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.08.011
- H. J. Kang, "The relationships among smartphone use, mental health and physical health - Focusing on smartphone users' attitudes", Journal of digital convergence, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 483-488, 2016.
- H. S. Lee, "Convergent Study of the Effect of University Students' Addiction to Smartphones on Self-Esteem and Self-Efficacy: Stress Level and Mental Health as Mediating Factors", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8. No. 1, pp. 139-148, 2017.
- H. S. Lee, "A Convergence Study the Effect of College Students' Parent-Son/Daughter Communication on Addiction to Smartphones : Focused on the Mediated Effect of Stress Level, Self-Control and Self-Efficacy", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7. No. 4, pp. 163-172, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.4.163
- J. H. Kwon, Y. S. Kho, N. R. Aum, H. G. Lee, "The society of digital addiction, Characteristics and Issues of Internet Addiction. Sigmapress: Seoul", 2015.
- National Information Society Agency, "2014 The survey on internet overdependence", http://www.nia.or.kr/site/nia_kor/ex/bbs/View.do?cbIdx=6591 4&bcIdx=15445&parentSeq=15445 2015.
- National Information Society Agency, "2015 The survey on internet overdependence, http://www.nia.or.kr/site/nia_kor/ex/bbs/View.do?cbIdx=6591 4&bcIdx=17132&parentSeq=17132 2016.
- National Information Society Agency, "2016 The survey on internet overdependence, http://www.nia.or.kr/site/nia_kor/ex/bbs/View.do?cbIdx=6591 4&bcIdx=18390&parentSeq=18390 2017.
- Korean National Statistical Office, "Social survey. Seoul: Korean National Statistical Office", 2013.
- S. H. Lee, "A study on the Policy Implication on the Addiction of Social Media Service User : Focusing on the Proposal of Korean SNS Addiction Index(KSAI)", Journal of digital convergence, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 255-265, 2013.
- M. K. Cho, "The Relationships among Smart phone Use Motivations, Addiction, and Self-control in Nursing students" Journal of digital convergence, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 311-323, 2014.
- M. S. Yoon, "Comparing the Mobile-phone Overuse by Gender and School Levels", Journal of digital convergence, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 1-9, 2017.
- M. S. Suk, Y. G. Yu, "The Effects of Individual, Family, and School Factors on Smart-phone Addiction of Adolescents", Journal of Youth Welfare, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 53-77, 2016.
- M. Takao, S. Takahashi, M. Kitamura, "Addictive personality and problematic mobile phone use", CyberPsychology & Behavior, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 501-507, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2009.0022
- C. H. Liu, S. H. Lin, Y. C. Pan, Y. H. Lin, "Smartphone gaming and frequent use pattern associated with smartphone addiction", Medicine, Vo. 95, No. 28, pp. 1-4, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000004558
- Gangbuk I WILL Center, "The survey on smartphone usage and addiction in adolescent" http://www.gbiwill.or.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table =media_kor&wr_id=18 2012.
- P. Smetaniuk, "A preliminary investigation into the prevalence and prediction of problematic cell phone use", Journal of Behavioral Addictions, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 41-53, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1556/JBA.3.2014.004
- B. K. Seo, "Adult Internet Addiction and Smartphone Use Characteristics", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 14 No. 1, pp. 305-317, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.01.305
- K. S. Ko, M. J. Lee, Y. E. Kim, "A Research on Addictive Use of Smartphone by University Students", Journal of Digital Contents Society, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 501-516, 2016.
- C. Augner, G. W. Hacker, "Associations between problematic mobile phone use and psychological parameters in young adults", International Journal of Public Health, Vol. 57, No 2, pp. 437-441, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-011-0234-z
- E. Haug, R. P. Castro, M. Kwon, A. Filler, T. Kowatsch, M. P. Schaub, "Smartphone use and smartphone addiction among young people in Switzerland", Journal of Behavioral Addictions, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 299-307, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1556/2006.4.2015.037
- S. Kang, J. Jung, "Mobile communication for human needs: A comparison of smartphone use between the U.S. and Korea", Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 35, pp. 376-387, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.03.024
- P. K. Masur, L. Reinecke, M. Ziegele, O. Quiring, "The interplay of intrinsic need satisfaction and Facebook specific motives in explaining addictive behavior on Facebook", Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 39, pp. 376-386, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.05.047
- Y. J. Lee, J. H. Park, "The Effect of Use Motives, Self-Control and Social Withdrawal on Smartphone Addiction" Journal of digital convergence, Vol. 12, No. 8, pp. 459-465, 2014.
- M. Bian, L. Leung, "Linking loneliness, shyness, smartphone addiction symptoms, and patterns of smartphone use to social capital", Social Science Computer Review, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 61-79, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1177/0894439314528779
- G. Y. Lee, "An exploratory study on the effects of internet use on the adaptation process in later life", Journal of Welfare for the Aged, Vol. 37, pp. 7-30, 2007.
- I. K. Seo, Y. S. Lee, "Effects of Adolescents' Motivation for Use of Smart Phone on their Addiction to Smart Phone : Control Effect of Social Support", The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Psychology, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 857-875, 2016.
- G. W. Shin, D. I. Kim, H. S. Kim, Y. J. Chung "A Study on intervention and solution strategy of smart media addiction, Seoul: NIA", 2012.
- M. H. Jo, J. M. Kim, S. S. Rhu, I. H. Kim, "The Difference of The Self-Regulation and The Usage Motivation between The SNS and The Game Group in The Over usage of Smartphone of Adolescents", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 297-317, 2017. https://doi.org/10.21509/KJYS.2017.01.24.2.297
- D. Kardefelt-Winther, "Problematizing excessive online gaming and its psychological predictors", Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 31, pp. 118-122, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2013.10.017
- D. M. Shafer, "Investigating suspense as a predictor of enjoyment in sports video games", Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, Vol. 58, pp. 272-288, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1080/08838151.2014.906432
- D. J. Kuss, M. D. Griffiths, D. van de Mhee, "Internet addiction in adolescent: prevalence and risk factors", Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 29, pp. 1987-1996, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2013.04.002
- E. J. Oh, S. A. Ahn, "A Study on the Mental Health, Adaptation to College Life, and SNS Addiction Tendency of College Students". The Journal of Humanities and Social science, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 547-561, 2017.
- F. Y. Hong, D. H. Huang, H. Y. Lin, S. L. Chiu, "Analysis of the psychological traits, Facebook usage, and Facebook addiction model of Taiwanese university students", Telematics & Informatics, Vol. 31, pp. 597-606, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2014.01.001
- M. Salehan, A. Negahban, "Social networking on smartphones: when mobile phones become addictive", Computers in Human Behavior, Vol 29, pp. 2632-2639, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2013.07.003
- B. S. Kim, M. H. Kang, "Effect of MMS Addiction on User's Health and Academic Performance in an Era of Convergence", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 131-139, 2016.
- M. C. Chou, C. H. Liu, "Mobile instant messengers and middle aged and elderly adults in Taiwan: users and gratification", International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, Vol. 32, No. 11, pp. 835-846, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1080/10447318.2016.1201892
- L. Leung, "Unwillingness-to-communicate and college students' motives in SMS mobile messaging", Telematics and Informatics, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 115-129, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2006.01.002
- N. Park, K. F. Kee, S. Valenzuela, "Being immersed in social networking environment: Facebook groups, uses and gratifications, and social outcomes", Cyber Psychology & Behavior, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 729-733, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2009.0003
- J. H. Jin, "Experiences of Smartphone Addiction among University Students", Journal of digital convergence, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 421-429, 2017.
- R. D. Putnam, "Bowling alone. New York: Simon & Schuster", 2000.
- Y. A. Hwang, K. S. Jung, "Effects of Social Bonding Factors on Youth Smartphone Addiction: Focused on Hirschi's Social Bonding Theory", Social Work Practice & Research, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 145-178, 2016.
- J. I. Yuh, "The Relationship between Loneliness and Smartphone Addiction Symptoms among Middle School Students: Testing the Mediating Role of Self-Esteem", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 129-152, 2016.
- H. S. Byun, S. Y. Kweon, "The Effect of Elementary School Students' Loneliness on School Life Adaptation: the Mediating Effect of Smartphone Addiction", The Korean Journal Child Education, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 303-317, 2014.
- H. G. Yu, C. N. Son, "Effects of ACT on Smartphone Addiction Level, Self-Control, and Anxiety of College Students with Smartphone Addiction", Journal of digital convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 415-426, 2016.
- E. Engelberg, L. Sjoberg, "Internet use, social skills and adjustment", Cyber Psychology & Behavior, Vol. 7, pp. 41-47, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1089/109493104322820101
- Y. S. Lee, "A Study on Gender Differences in the Smartphone Application Types and Smartphone Addiction". The Journal of Internet Electronic Commerce Research, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 213-227, 2015.
- J. Y. Kim, H. J. Hwang, "The mediating effects of self-control on the relationship between smartphone addiction and suicidal ideation in adolescents", Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 59-84, 2015.
- A. Oulasvirta, T. Rattenbury, L. Ma, E. Raita, "Habits make smartphone use more pervasive", Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 105-114, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00779-011-0412-2
- H. I. Jo, "The Effect of Elementary School Students' Perceived Parenting Attitude and Internet Use Motives on Internet Addiction: Self-Control as a Mediator", Journal of Adolescent Welfare, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 269-287, 2011.
- O. N. Doorn, "Cyberloafing: A multi-dimensional construct placed in a theoretical framework", Ph. D dissertation, Eindhoven University of Technology, 2017.
- Y. C. Ku, T. H. Chu, C. H. Tseng, "Gratifications for using CMC technologies: a comparison among SNS, IM, and e-mail", Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 226-234, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2012.08.009
- S. Nambisan, R. A. Baron, "Interactions in virtual customer environments: implications for product support and customer relationship management", Journal of Interactive Marketing, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 42-62, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.20077