- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Analysis of the Korea Communications Commission establishment process : Focusing on Strategic behavior of Advocacy coalition
방송통신위원회 설립 과정의 특성 분석 : 옹호연합의 전략적 행동을 중심으로
- Kim, Sang-Woon (Dept. of Public Administration, The Graduate School of Ewha Womans University)
- 김상운 (이화여자대학교 행정학과)
- Received : 2017.05.08
- Accepted : 2017.07.20
- Published : 2017.07.28
The purpose of this study is to analyze the strategic behaviors of the Broadcasting advocacy coalition and IT advocacy coalition in the process of establishing the Korea Communications Commission(KCC) in 2008. Broadcasting and telecommunications convergence policy has been confronted with long-term conflicts because of ideological clashes between public interest and industrialism and stakeholder relations. Under this circumstance, the two advocacy coalitions sought to bring out the favorable outcomes through strategic behavior. However, the strategic behaviors were limited, and the establishment of the Korea Communications Commission was decided by political negotiation. Since then, KCC has been buried in political issues and has produced policy failure cases. In order to reduce these adverse effects, it is necessary to establish institutional devices in the reorganization process. Above all, efforts are needed to overcome the practice of using organizational restructuring as a political tool.
Broadcasting and Telecommunications Convergence;Korea Communications Commission;Government Reorganization;Advocacy Coalition;Strategic Behavior
- S. H. Park, "Policies of Broadcasting and Telecom munication in Smart Media Convergence Age : Focus on the Policy Paradigm and Public Relations Strategies for Dynamic Quality of Life", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 9, No. 5, pp. 99-111, 2011.
- Lowi, Theodore J. "Four systems of policy, politics, and choice", Public administration review, Vol. 32. No. 4, pp.298-310, 1972. https://doi.org/10.2307/974990
- Lowi, Theodore J. "The state in politics: The relation between policy and administration", Regulatory policy and the social sciences, pp.67 -105, 1985.
- Spitzer, Robert J. "Promoting policy theory : Revising the arenas of power", Policy Studies Journal, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp675-689, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1541-0072.1987.tb00753.x
- Office for Government Policy Coordination & Broadcasting and Telecommunications Converg ence Committee. "Broadcasting and communi cation convergence white paper", p. 402, 2008.
- J. G. Jeong, "Principles of Policy", 996p, Daemyung, 2003.
- Sabatier, Paul A. "An advocacy coalition framework of policy change and the role of policy-oriented learning therein". Policy sciences, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp.129-168, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00136406
- Yong-Jun Jung, "The Value and Idea of Broad casting Policy in South Korea : From the 1990's to 2011", Journal of Broadcasting and Telecom munications Research, Vol. 75, pp.9-27, 2011.
- Yonhap news, "Broadcasting Committee, Decided not to attend vice-minister meeting", http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid 1=102&oid=001&aid=0001508069, 2006. 12. 28.
- Yonhap news, "Political party, government reorganization heated debate", http://news.naver. com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=100 &oid=001&aid=0001941533, 2008. 1. 29.
- Digital times, "Korea Communications Commission, What is the issue of establishment?", http://www.dt.co.kr/contents.html?article_no=2008020102010631 742001, 2008. 2. 1.
- Etnews, "Ministry of Information and Communication, reorganization of broadcasting and commu nication convergence, reorganization of broadcas ting and communication convergence", http://www.etnews.com/200701250023, 2007. 1. 26.
- Inews24, "Broadcasting Commission, Personnel Commendation to Focus on Reforming the Broadcasting Communication Structure", http://news.inews24.com/php/news_view.php?g_serial=24 6342&g_menu=020300, 2007. 2. 1.
- National Assembly Broadcasting Communication Special Committee. The 2nd Special Committee meeting log. 2007. 3. 12.
- National Assembly Broadcasting Communication Special Committee. The 3rd Special Committee meeting log. 2007. 3. 13.
- National Assembly Broadcasting Communication Special Committee. The 3rd Subcommittee meeting log. 2007. 9. 17.
- Etnews, "[17th President] Direction of Reorganization of Ministry(II)". http://www.etnews.com/ 200712270042, 2007. 12. 28.
- Digital times, "ITacademy, industry group announcement statement against the abolition of Ministry of Information and Communication", http://www.dt.co.kr/contents.html?article_no=2008011102010531693 002, 2008. 1. 11.
- The Asia Economy Daily, "Ministry of Ministry of Information and Communication, Let's coheres then survived", http://www.asiae.co.kr/news/view.htm? idxno=2008012916094017065, 2008. 1. 29.
- Korean Federation of Press Unions, "Unions Statement : Requirements for the Korea Communications Commission", 2008. 2. 18.
- S. J. Park, C. Koh, and C. H. Kim, "Proposal of Establishment "Control Tower of IT and Cultural Content" for the next Government", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 113-123, 2012.
- Seong-Hoon Lee, Dong-Hee Shim, Dong-Woo Lee, "Actual Cases of Internet of Thing on Smart City Industry," Journal of IT Convergence Society for SMB, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 65-70, 2016.
- Doo-Yong Jung, Yun-Young Sok, "A Study on the Edu-tainer Convergence App for Young Children's Play learning in Mobile Environments", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7. No. 5, pp. 23-28, 2016.
- Cheol-Joo Chae, Han-Jin Cho, "Smart Fusion Agriculture based on Internet of Thing", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7. No. 6, pp. 49-54, 2016.
- Hyun-Gi Hong, "Business Process Support Based on IoT Technology," Journal of Convergence for Information Technology , Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 75-79, 2017.