- Volume 15 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Strategy of enhanced Metacognition on the Improvement of Creative Problem Solving Skills
메타인지 강화 전략이 창의적 문제 해결력 신장에 미치는 효과
- Song, Ju-yeon (Kyonggi-center for teaching & learning, Kyonggi University) ;
- Park, Ji-eun (DU College, Daegu University)
- Received : 2016.08.01
- Accepted : 2017.07.20
- Published : 2017.07.28
The purpose of the study was to develop a teaching strategy using metacognition and to investigate its effects on enhancing students' creative problem solving skills (i.e. creative thinking skills and critical thinking skills), metacognitive skills. With reference to previous studies, the researcher developed self-questionnaire to enhance metacognition. To achieve this aim, a learning strategy enhancing metacognition was developed and applied to design a creative problem solving instruction program. The strategy was implemented to university students over 9 weeks. The same test was used in two groups. To analyze the data statistically, ANCOVA was used. Results indicated that the experimental group presented statistically meaningful improvement in creative thinking skills, especially identifying a problem, making hypothesis, and controlling of variables(p<.05). Also, the strategy contributed to improve critical thinking skills, especially in inquiry process of recognizing problems, making hypothesis(p<.05). In addition, this strategy also helped students' metacognitive skills(p<.05). It was effective to improve thinking skills. It will contribute to improve convergence thinking skills.
Creative problem solving skills;Creative thinking skills;Critical thinking skills;Metacognition;Convergence
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, "2009 Revised National Curriculum of Science. Seoul, Daehan Textbook Publishing", 2009.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, "The future of Korea with creative talent and advanced science and technology. 2011 Business Report", 2010.
- Y. C. Kim, "Creative Problem Solving: A Coach Guide for Teaching of Creativity. Seoul, kyoyookkwahaksa", 2006.
- S. G. Isaksen, D. J. Treffinger, "Creative problem solving: The basic course. Buffalo, NY: Brearly Limited", 1985.
- M. Csikszentmihalyi, J. W. Getzels, Creativity and problem finding in art. In T. E. Scott. The role of domain-specific knowledge in divergent thinking, Doctoral dissertation, University of California riverside, 1988.
- H. H. Kim, Y. H. Choi, "Effect of creativity instruction activities on academic motivation and career maturity of university students: Based on NFTM-TRIZ creativity education model." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 277-286, 2015.
- T. I. Lubart, Creativity. In R. J. Sternberg (Eds.), Thinking and problem solving, NY: Academic Press, 1994.
- A. E. Woolfolk, "Educational psychology (7th ed.). MA: Allyn & Bacon", 1998.
- J. P. Guilford, "Creativity." American Psychologist, Vol. 5, pp. 444-454, 1950. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0063487
- J. Getzels, P. Jackson, "Creativity and intelligence. NY: Wiley", 1962.
- K. K. Urban, "Recent trends in creativity: Research and theory Western Europe." European Journal of High Ability, Vol. 1, pp. 99-113, 1995.
- J. W. Park, "A suggestion of cognitive model of scientific creativity." Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 375-386, 2004.
- R. H. Ennis, "A logical basis for measuring critical thinking skills." Educational Leadership, Vol. 43, No. 2, pp. 44-48, 1985.
- S. M. Choi, "The analysis of the interrelationship between critical thinking and reflective problem-solving: Deweyan's approach." Philosophy of Education, Vol. 25, pp. 163-178, 2004.
- S. H. Park, "The effectiveness of learning community for the development of convergence of university students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 29-37, 2015.
- N. S. Ha, S. Y. Pak, M. J. Lee, "A literature review (1996-2014) on critical thinking in korean nursing education for the era of convergence." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 341-349, 2015.
- M. A. Runco, Divergent thinking. In M. A. Runco & S. R. Pritzker (Eds.), Encyclopedia of creativity, San Diego, CA: Academic Press, 1999.
- J. E. Jacobs, S. G. Paris, "Children's metacognition about reading: Issues in Definition, Measurement, and Instruction." Educational Psychologist, Vol. 22, pp. 255-278. 1987. https://doi.org/10.1080/00461520.1987.9653052
- H. L. Swanson, "Influence of metacognitive knowledge and aptitude on problem solving." Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol. 82, pp. 306-314, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06126.96.36.1996
- B. J. Zimmerman, "Becoming a self-regulated learner: An overview." Theory and Practice, Vol. 41, No. 2, pp. 64-72, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15430421tip4102_2
- Y. E. Kim, H. J. Lee, "A study on undergraduate students' self-growth experiences in a counseling skills training course." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 315-328, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.315
- H. L. Roh, M. N. Choi, "A study about the convergent effects of team interaction and team metacognition affecting a continuous participation in learning community of university." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 69-78, 2016.
- J. H. Flavell, "Metacognition and cognitive monitoring: A new area of cognitive-developmental inquiry." American Psychologist, Vol. 34, No. 10, pp. 906-911, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.34.10.906
- A. H. Scheonfeld, What's all the fuss about metacognition?. In A. H. Schoenfeld(Ed), Cognitive science and mathematics education, Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, 1987.
- A. Brown, Metacognition, executive control, self-regulation, and mechanisms. In F. E. Weinert & R. H. Kluwe (Eds.), Metacognition, motivation, and understanding, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc, 1987.
- K. B. Ko, "The effects of cognitive monitoring learning strategy on students' academic achievement and metacognition in elementary science classes." Korea National University of Education, Doctoral Dissertation, 2005.
- J. W. Park, "The role of metacognition in the changes of basic concepts about relativity." Korea National University, Doctoral Dissertation, 1992.
- T. H. Noh, S. H. Jang, H. J. Lim, "The instructional influences of metacognitive learning strategies in elementary school science course." Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 172-182, 1998.
- E. J. Lee, "A study of direct teaching strategy of inquiry skills applying meta-cognition." Doctoral Dissertation, Ewha womans university, 2010.
- S. J. Kang, E. J. Kim, H. J. Shin, "Convergence study about problem-based learning and self-directed learning ability, problem solving skills, academic self-efficacy, motivation toward learning of nursing students." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 33-41, 2016.
- H. S. Jeong, "The effects of metacognitive learning strategies on achievement of elementary school students." Master thesis, Busan National University of Education, 2003.
- H. J. Lee, "The impact of the class meta-cognitive strategies applied science achievement and learning attitude." Master thesis, Busan National University of Education, 2013.
- I. S. Park, "Development and implementation of science programs enhancing creative problem solving applying meta-cognition." Doctoral Dissertation, Ewha womans university, 2010.
- H. D. Song, "Instructional design principles for enhancing creative problem solving skills." The Journal of Yeolin Education, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 55-73, 2007.
- M. Pressley, J. G. Borkowski, J. T. O′Sullivan, "Memory strategy instruction is made of this: Metamemory and durable strategy use." Educational Psychologist, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 94-107, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1080/00461528409529285
- D. I. Bang, J. E. Park, J. Y. Song, S. H. Kang, "The development of teaching strategy for the enhancement of the creative problem solving thinking skills through general chemistry laboratory and the effects of it's applications(I)." Journal of the Korean Chemical Society, Vol. 55, No. 2, pp. 290-303, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5012/jkcs.2011.55.2.290
- A. E. Lawson, "Science teaching and the development of thinking. Belmont. CA: Wadworth Publishing Company", 1995.
- S. H. Kang, "Assessment instruments and criteria of creative problem solving thinking skills in science education." Ewha womans university, seoul, 2010.
- W. Hu, P. Adey, "A scientific creativity test for secondary school student." International Journal of Science Education, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 389-403, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690110098912
- R. A. Hargrove, J. L. Nietfeld, "The impact of metacognitive instruction on creative problem solving." The Journal of Experimental Education, Vol. 83, No. 3, pp. 291-318, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220973.2013.876604
- R. Paul, L. Elder, "Critical thinking: Learn the tools the best thinkers use. Concise Ed, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall", 2006.
- S. H. Kang, "The relations of college students' critical thinking and metacognition to problem solving ability." Journal of The Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 1693-1708, 2013.