- Volume 9 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Numerical analysis of dynamic response of jacket structures subject to slamming forces by breaking waves
- Woo, Chanjo (Mapes Engineering Co. Ltd.) ;
- Chun, Insik (Department of Infra System Engineering, Konkuk University) ;
- Navaratnam, Christy Ushanth (Department of Hydraulic and Environmental Engineering, Norwegian University of Science and Technology) ;
- Shim, Jaeseol (Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology)
- Received : 2016.08.28
- Accepted : 2016.11.19
- Published : 2017.07.31
The present study numerically analyzed the dynamic behavior of 3D framed structures subject to impulsive slamming forces by violent breaking waves. The structures were modeled using multiple lumped masses for the vertical projections of each member, and the slamming forces from the breaking waves were concentrated on these lumped masses. A numerical algorithm was developed to properly incorporate the slamming forces into a dynamic analysis to numerically determine the structural responses. Then, the validity of the numerical analysis was verified using the results of an existing hydraulic experiment. The numerical and experimental results for various model structures were generally in good agreement. The uncertainties concerning the properties of the breaking waves used in the verification are also discussed here.
Grant : Construction of Ocean Research Station and their Application Studies
Supported by : Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology
- Aashamar, M.Z., 2012. Wave Slamming Forces on Truss Support Structures for Wind Turbines. Master's thesis. Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Apelt, C.J., Piorewicz, J., 1987. Laboratory studies of breaking wave forces acting on vertical cylinders in shallow water. Coast Eng. 11 (3), 263-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-3839(87)90015-9
- Bathe, K.J., 1982. Finite Element Procedures in Engineering Analysis. Prentice-Hall, pp. 508-511.
- Brebbia, C.A., Walker, S., 1979. Dynamic Analysis of Offshore Structures. Newnes-Butterworths, pp. 256-257.
- Campbell, I.M.C., Weynberg, P.A., 1980. Measurement of Parameters Affecting Slamming. Final Report, Rep. No. 440, Technology Reports Centre No. OT-R-8042, Southampton University: Wolfson Unit for Marine Technology.
- CDIT, 2001. Research and Development of Numerical Wave Channel (CADMAS-SURF). Coastal Development Institute of Technology (in Japanese).
- Chella, M.A., Torum, A., Myrhaug, D., 2012. An overview of wave impact forces on offshore wind turbine substructures. Energy Procedia 20, 217-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2012.03.022
- Choi, S.-J., Lee, K.-H., Gudmestad, O.T., 2015. The effect of dynamic amplification due to a structure's vibration on breaking wave impact. Ocean. Eng. 96, 8-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2014.11.012
- Chun, I., Woo, C., Navaratnam, C.U., Shim, J., 2016. Design Wave Condition and Structural Analysis for Jacket Structures Installed in Wave Breaking Zone. Proc. of the 26th International Ocean and Polar Engineering Conference, Rhodes, Greece (to be published).
- Dalton, C., Nash, J.M., 1976. Wave Slam on Horizontal Members of an Offshore Platform. Offshore Tech Conf, OTC-2500, Houston, TX, pp. 769-775.
- Dawson, T.H., 1983. Offshore Structural Engineering. Prentice Hall.
- Goda, Y., Haranaka, S., Kitahata, M., 1966. Study of impulsive breaking wave forces on piles. Rep. Port Harb. Res. Inst. 5 (6).
- Greenhow, M., Li, Y., 1987. Added masses for circular cylinders near or penetrating fluid boundaries - review, extension and application to water-entry, -exit and slamming. Ocean. Eng. 14 (4), 325-348. https://doi.org/10.1016/0029-8018(87)90031-X
- Hall, M.A., 1958. Laboratory Study of Breaking Wave Forces on Piles. TM-106, U.S. Army, Corps of Engineers, Beach Erosion Board, Washington, D.C.
- Honda, T., Mitsuyasu, H., 1974. Experimental study of breaking wave force on a vertical circular cylinder. Coast Eng. Jpn. 17, 59-70. https://doi.org/10.1080/05785634.1974.11924183
- Kjeldsen, S.P., Torum, A., Dean, R.G., 1986. Wave Forces on Vertical Piles by 2- and 3-Dimensional Breaking Waves. Proc 20th Int Conf Coast Eng, Taipei, Taiwan, ASEC, pp. 1929-1942.
- Navaratnam, C.U., 2013. Wave Slamming Forces on Truss Structures forWind Turbines. Master's thesis. Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Ross, C.W., 1959. Large-scale Tests of Wave Forces on Piling. TM-111, U.S. Army, Corpse of Engineers, Beach Erosion Board, Washington, D.C.
- Rienecker, M.M., Fenton, J.D., 1981. A Fourier approximation method for steady water waves. J. Fluid Mech. 104, 119-137. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112081002851
- Sarpkaya, T., 1978. Wave Impact Loads on Cylinders. Offshore Tech Conf, OTC-3095, Houston, TX, pp. 169-176.
- Tanimoto, K., Takahashi, S., Kaneko, T., Shiota, K., 1986. Impulsive Breaking Wave Forces on an Inclined Pile Exerted by Random Waves. Proc 20th Int Conf Coast Eng, Taipei, Taiwan, ASEC, pp. 2288-2302.
- von Karman, T., 1929. The Impact of Sea Plane Floats during Landing. N.A.C.A. TN 321, Washington.
- Wagner, H., 1932. Uber Stoss und Gleitvongange am der Oberfalche von Flussigkeiten. ZAMM 12, 193-215. https://doi.org/10.1002/zamm.19320120402
- Wiegel, R.L., 1982. Forces Induced by Breakers on Piles. Proc 18th Int Conf Coast Eng, Cape Town, South Africa, ASEC, pp. 1699-1715.
- Wienke, J., Oumeraci, H., 2005. Breaking wave impact force on a vertical and inclined slender pile-theoretical and large-scale model investigations. Coast. Eng. 52 (5), 435-462. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coastaleng.2004.12.008
- Wilson, E.L., 2002. Three-dimensional Static and Dynamic Analysis of Structures. Computers and Structures, Inc., p. 19-6
- Woo, C., 2015. Determination of the Shallow Water Design Wave and Structural Analysis for Jacket Structures Installed in Wave Breaking Zone. Doctoral dissertation. Dept. of Infra System Engineering, Konkuk University (in Korean).